Need Help with CLS Panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LyleFan

I picked up a used pair of CLS yesterday for a great price (had to drive 400 miles). These are the original CLS and within approx. the last 12-18 months received new panels. The previous owner had them in storage for before I took possession yesterday and were in working condition the last time he used them.

One of the panels has some pops and ticks when turned up to louder volumes... but seems to be subsiding somewhat and otherwise sound fine. I was told by the owner that they occassionally due that when they are first plugged in after a while and are charging. Is this true? I guess they also "slap" a little on sem-loud bass passages. I then ran them through an ACI 85hz in line filter/crossover at about 85hz (-6db octave) and the slapping seemed to stop. Is this normal?

Now the other speaker does not play any high frequencies. Only the lower frequencies and some mid-range freqs. Sounds sort of like when you don't have a ML hybrid powercable plugged into the wall and you only hear music from the base module. I checked all connections, tried a different amp, checked the power cable, visually inspected all connections in the electronics, reinserted the power connector from the panels several times... same thing, no upper freqs. Jim Powers (very helpful by the way) said to leave the powercable plugged in overnight and to disconnect the speaker cables to the CLS. He seems to think it is a possibility that the panels need to fully charge. Otherwise I guess it is new panels and possibly something wrong with the power supply. I am not much of an electronics expert. Anyone else have any ideas of what to try? I did vacuum well before I initially plugged them in. Would the old Martin Logan Shower help?

Incidently, I believe the individual that sold me the CLS is acting on good faith and will probably (hopefully) purchase another panel as he also spoke with Jim Power today. My concern though is that it is not the panel, but maybe something in the powersupply.

Thanks in advance.

I would do a few things. First, unplug them and let them sit over night then vacuum them very good but just be careful because they have been sitting for a while. You do not want to stress the panels too much when vacuuming. Inspite of some opinions, since they have been sitting, I would vacuum both sides. Then plus them back in and play them for a few days and see how they react.

I know that my Sequel II's are powered with a very poor and under powered amp (from my TV only) as rear speakers and if I turn the TV up they will crack and pop. My CLSiiZ's have not problem with my Rotel which has 380 watts a channel. :) Is you amp strong enough to drive the CLS it has to have a fair amount of power but more important it has to be able to have a fair amount of current to deliever to the CLS plus the ability to handle low impedances that the CLS will place on your amp or receiver.

Good Luck and lets us know

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the info. The amp could be part of the culprit. I have an Innersound ESL 300 on the way. I will try Vacuuming again.

I live in the desert and I vacuum mine about once a month or so. Look for the precense of "little dots" when you at the panel through the grill up close. If you see them, it is dust that has accumulated. Actually it has been attracted by the elctrostatic field of the panel. They can be dust collectors. It is an undocumented feature LOL :D

The other option is to wash them. THere was a lengthy discussion in the old forum by Dan S. DTB300(?) .........sorry Dan I suffer from CRS "Can't Remember S..t :eek:

Jeff

I had the same problems with my CLSLLz as you describe..."slapping & popping" -mostly into only one channel (????). I believe it was the amp I was using: VTL MB-125's. Not a bad amp by any stretch but (I believe) it just did not have the current to 'control' the panels properly. When I swtiched to Bryston 7Bst's or my current Innersound ESL300MKII I NEVER experienced the same problem. However, I agree the regular vacuming is essential as well as a humidity controlled environment. I think you will be very pleased with your Innersound ESL300.

Hope this helps!

CLS IIz panels

Hola Lylefan. I'm a happy CLS owner since '87. I have had all the problems, specially with the humid weather that I have where I live. The CLS are not ment to play loud...but this does not means that they can play at high level. You need a monster power amplifier to drive them and have clean sound at high level, otherwise it is impossible mission . Regarding your problem with one stat panel, change the channels at the amplifier's speaker connector (swap them) and listen if the same panel has the same problem. Remember that the right speaker is the one that looking at the panel, has the wider frame at right side. Also, give at least three feet of distance from the back wall from the center of the stat panel. This will give you the best bass response and from this distance, you have to start to "move them around", inches in, inches out, or the left or right, and this is to get the best scenario and image possible in your room. Also, tilt the speaker a little bit from the front to back...the feet will allow you to do that. Unscrew the front feet for at least have inch, and the botton foot all the way in. This will provide you the best high frequency info...perhaps that is why you don't have any highs...(just guessing). Sit down and listen and then, stand up, if you loose high frequency, the panels are to forward lean, with the feet, adjust them in such way that are more like a lean-back. (Please excuse my English)...listen again and stand up, if you don't loose to much highs, you are in the right track...the CLS are very room dependent, but when they sing, are the best speakers of the world...yes, I just love them...the sweet spot is very narrow, but when you are there, then the magic comes...size of the instruments, scenario, air between instruments, timbre, dynamics, microdynamics, the feeling of the musician for you, voices, vocals, solo instruments, these are just some of the magic that you are going to have soon...trust your ears,
happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Roberto.. Thanks for the info. However, I see what you are saying regarding the left and right speaker and the different widths on either side of the panel (from looking at the CLS model timelines), however, there does not seem to be a difference in distance on the outer edges or either panel. Also loss of higher frequencies is not due to positioning... it just does not have any high frequencies emitting from the speaker. Panel? Power supply? Not sure.

The "Stat" panels themselves have different size panels and Roberto is talking about the ones that run up/down the speaker (not the frames) - these are the longest panels on the speaker. The larger one is "typically" used on the outside. But some have reported better sound for their ears with them on the inside.

BTW: I tried both and like the larger on the outside.

Dan

LyleFan said:
Roberto.. Thanks for the info. However, I see what you are saying regarding the left and right speaker and the different widths on either side of the panel (from looking at the CLS model timelines), however, there does not seem to be a difference in distance on the outer edges or either panel. Also loss of higher frequencies is not due to positioning... it just does not have any high frequencies emitting from the speaker. Panel? Power supply? Not sure.

:( No...it looks to me that you have a bad panel...try to see if you could change it...Jim Power at ML service, could say more regarding this, but in my experience, I think that you have a bad stat panel. Only changing it will solve the problem...hope this can help!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back