ELS 9 need repair.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
A fault in ELS 9 that developed in mid-March, approx. 4 years to my acquisition, involves reduced treble and no sound from lower half of one panel. The other panel suffers from reduced treble to the same extent and weak output from lower half of panel.

The overall sound lacks treble and therefore greater weight given to low frequencies. No audible distortion. One panel partially lack output and both panel have low to medium output. Woofers sound okay.

I still have CLS though in the near future will not have them. On comparing old with new after greater than three decades of use less four to five years when not in use. Not even a single fault in electronic modules and panels after being washed taken apart repaired sound good. Not very good or exceptional but satisfying sonics nevertheless.

I have made an arrangement with ML authorized dealer to examine at my residence ELS 9 and determine where lies the defect by opening them up.

We will interchange panels. What visible signs of damage either to the panel or the circuitry should I look out for?

Any help forthcoming in this regard will help me to pinpoint fault in ELS 9.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Did you get anywhere with your panel issues? I just saw this thread now.

Some days are better than others. Statement true in my case. I take medicine for five incurable illness. Therefore whenever I am able to I push my case for new ELS 9 panel with local ML authorized dealer. I bought ELS 9 on March 13th 2019. Approximately 4 years later one panel minimum 30 percent surface area no sound. Overall sound gives more emphasis to bass because both panel output perhaps not what should be.

Just yesterday I called local authorized dealer to find out what progress made towards delivery of new ELS 9 panel. The owner of local ML authorized dealership states I have to write in a email to them explaining the defect in panel. They will forward my email to ML. Hopefully ML will send new panels then. Today I write short email to them.

Hopefully the local dealer will not try to cheat me. Thus give me defect free new panel

Once I have installed defect free new ELS 9 panels. I am not going to take the chance of panels going bad again after 4 years of use. After installation of new panels will try to sell loudspeaker for amount I paid to acquire ELS 9. Hopefully I will recover what I paid for them.

My relative and friend who agreed to take CLS 1 is involved in extremely time consuming project. I have requested him many many times to take CLS. He does not have the time.

A relative whose system impressed me, greater than three decades ago had small acoustic suspension Snell loudspeakers and larger and heavier than Snell , acoustic suspension Advent loudspeakers. Both could rock and sonics were great.

By purchasing acoustic suspension Heresy 3 I hope to get somewhat similar in quality and sonics loudspeaker. Not interested in bass reflex Heresy 4.

Back