My Son's "First Watt" amp Build

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
While not my "doing" I thought I would share a pic or two of my sons latest creation. It's a 15 watt Class "A" amp that is of the Nelson Pass 'First Watt' topology.

While not suited to drive our Logans it does a fine job with his Zu's !

Should anyone want more specific info with respect to spec'd parts , etc, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1089[1].JPG
    IMG_1089[1].JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_1109[1].JPG
    IMG_1109[1].JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 676
Very nice. The Pass designs are great. I would love to have a Tube amp with some horns for a second system.

Very nice, Dave. A few months ago I listened to some DIY amps and was really impressed with one of them. As clean as your son's system looks, I bet his amp really sounds great.

Dave, thanks for sharing the pics.

Any links to where he source the design and parts?

WOAH!!!

JonFo wants information on a First Watt amp kit?!?! Jon - you know that these are essentially a solid state version of a Class A 8-10wpc SET right? I mean, it's about as far removed from your type of set up as can be imagined.:D

What's next for you - tubes, horns and god forbid, vinyl?
;)

If you're serious you can contact our good friend Nelson Pass (yes, the same Nelson Pass as Pass Amplifiers), next week after he returns from RMAF at either http://www.firstwatt.com or [email protected] or call him at (530) 367-3690.

Hi Jonathan, As Tim said Nelson has ALOT of info available for DIY'ers on his site. Once I get hom from RMAF I'll get the low down on the particulars from my son and let you know.

So.......is there a high effecient single driver plan for your future ??

WOAH!!!

JonFo wants information on a First Watt amp kit?!?! Jon - you know that these are essentially a solid state version of a Class A 8-10wpc SET right? I mean, it's about as far removed from your type of set up as can be imagined.:D

What's next for you - tubes, horns and god forbid, vinyl?
;)

If you're serious you can contact our good friend Nelson Pass (yes, the same Nelson Pass as Pass Amplifiers), next week after he returns from RMAF at either http://www.firstwatt.com or [email protected] or call him at (530) 367-3690.

Heh, I do have curiosity about amp designs and not all my systems require megawatts. ;)

This would be for some desktop speakers in my office. And sorry, no horns, no tubes …

Thanks for the links.

Hi Jonathan, As Tim said Nelson has ALOT of info available for DIY'ers on his site. Once I get hom from RMAF I'll get the low down on the particulars from my son and let you know.

So.......is there a high effecient single driver plan for your future ??

You got the single driver part right, as that’s what images best at close range. I want to do a transmission line alignment, which is a challenge as the box will be big.

Latest posts

Back