My rebirth of a Dynaco ST-70

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
I took an old Dynaco ST-70 amp and brought it into the modern age of electronics with some upgraded parts, circuit design, layout, chassis and cabinet.

st70_31.jpg

st70_33.jpg

That is SICK!! Awesome job. How does it sound?

Nice work , you are a true craftsman

I dont know where you find the time for all your projects !

That looks awesome, huge improvement. What do you plan on running with it? My friend uses one of those on his Aerius and I feel like it rolls off the lows very bad and struggles to produce enough power. He has upgraded the tubes, but I don't think that he has changed any of the electronics out yet.

I redid one too, many years ago, upgrading the parts, including a new driver board, but mine looked nothing like that. You did a wonderful job. Where did you put the electrolytic caps (IIRC there is not much space under the chassis)?

Last edited:
Now THAT is outstanding ! you should be really proud of the work that went into it. :bowdown:

That looks awesome, huge improvement. What do you plan on running with it? My friend uses one of those on his Aerius and I feel like it rolls off the lows very bad and struggles to produce enough power. He has upgraded the tubes, but I don't think that he has changed any of the electronics out yet.

The original power transformer and power supply filtering were weak. I have changed, replaced, or upgraded to allow for tube swapping and more bottom end. Mine is a better and a more refined amp from the original.

Looks really cool. How hard would it be to bridge it and use it as one side of a pair of mono amps? Ha ha, of course, then you'd have to build the twin, but two of those would look and I bet sound awesome.

Very 'purdy' to the eyes and I'm assuming to ones ears as well !

Hey, do you want a pair of Mark III's? I've got a pretty good pair that I need to move out of here. They work fine, but I was going to rebuild them. No time anymore!

Thanks guys, I do believe it took a nice amp and has taken it to the next level. If you want to see the details that went into this transformation, follow this link to my build page.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/ST70/

Man, awesome job! :bowdown:

Great attention to detail on this re-design / rebuild, thanks for sharing the build story link.

That is much better looking than the same old plain design they still use. I really like the wood integration.

Dominick

The chassis/layout is perfect with the can cap removed/moved and the rectifier tube centered... I wish "tube4hifi" which has a nice updated version of the ST-70 would offer a chassis like this...I would purchase a kit in a second.

Latest posts

Back