Greetings from Oregon

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLVW

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, but a “vintage” M.L. customer. My original system consisted of CLS-I’s from the mid-80’s driven by a Melos tube amp and a Roland Research Coherence 1 preamp. Supporting the CLS’s are four Kinergetic’s SW-100 subs driven by a Parasound amp. I do have a streamer, but my primary front end is a SOTA Nova-VI turntable (upgraded from a Star Vacuum)with a Kuzma 4Point9 tonearm and a Van den Hul FROG cartridge.

Over time the system has evolved. The Melos amp sounds great but tubes are hard to source these days and it has broken twice. I took it out of service a couple of years ago and replaced it with a Sanders SS amp that is designed to drive Electrostatic speakers. It is the only SS amp that I have found that comes close to a tube sound. This summer I will likely finally replace the old Coherence 1 with a tube pre to put some tubes back into the system.

Part of the reason for joining the forum is to get some advice on future-proofing parts of my system.

Welcome. We have quite a few very knowledgeable members on here from all parts of the world. I myself am lower tier, and dont know so much. lol.

Welcome to MLO. Good to have another CLS owner. I have CLS 1. However only for a further month or two.

Replace recently panels CLS 1 or original CLS?

New panels made a day versus night difference?

Does the Sanders power amp effortlessly drive CLS 1 and match very well with CLS 1?

Does it seem sonics are effortlessly created by above power amp?

Thanks in advance for your response to above questions.

Welcome aboard ! many fond memories of Crater lake !!

Sanders makes speakers similar to ML and builds amps to drive them. They are basically a capacitive load with an impedance that is highly freq dependent. I have been super happy with the amp. I have tried numerous tube and SS amps over the years. The Sanders is the only SS amp that really makes the speakers sing. I think they have a 30 day in house audition. It did take a day or two for the amp to warm up.

Back