my first meeting with ml, but now got a dilema...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time here.I am currently in the porcess of getting a whole new hifi set up.However, i never really considered the ML range as was told they are hard to get place......So in the last few weeks i audition a few speakers from small monitor to floorstanders ranging from $4000 to $10000 AUD and a few amps...
I decided to go and audition to a ayre qb9 and ayre integrated last saturday, but the dealer had just received the ayre gear in and it was still boxed therefore not broken in.Not much point to audition i guess, but guess what,He was also a ML dealer.We had a bit of chat and decided to try them out as had time on my hands(Vantagne)
WOW<WOW<WOW...With all the speakers i audition in the last few weeks, none came close to what i was hearing.Did not want to jump to conclusions as i read so many times that they are hard to get right, but the dealer told me it was really true.Thus, we took them out of the room which is accousticly built and placed them in the main show room with no treatment at all.He gave me free reign, and let me place them where i wanted..
WOW<WOW<WOW,magic is still there..Close to rear wall, far away from wall, toed in, straight, what ever combo i tried it was still fantastics..Fair enough not as good as the dedicated room, but far from disgracefull either.
Why do they have that reputation of being difficult to place???
However, my dilema is as follow:
Now m convinced to get a pair of ML.The vantage are being replaced by the ethos.If the ethos are as good as the vantage, i can t see no reason for not getting them, but there is also the theos that are new and do not have the built in amplification, so would i achieve a more natural sound by going with the ethos and a simple amp or theos with two amps(one for lower frequency and one for highs....)
All advices are indeed welcome and appreciated.Also and direct comparaisons are welcome..
sincerely yours
john
M hoocked on ML, want them now............

Hi JM,

Pretty cool when you first hear ML.

First off, all other things being equal, the larger the panel size the better.

Given that, you seem to have a dealer nearby and have the chance to listen to all models, you should choose on that basis. Just make sure the new models are broken in before auditioning.

Having owned the SL3 (legacy model) and the Summit (current panel technology), I preferred the later but there are those who prefer the former. Again, let your ears tell you what you prefer.

The other consideration is going with a powered woofer versus a passive woofer and how it impacts your amplification and cost thereof. Remember you will need an amp that is stable with difficult loads and, generally speaking, the more power the better.

From a budget perspective, max bang for the buck (assuming you prefer its sound versus the other choices) may be the model with the powered woofer so you need only worry about amping the panel.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

GG

Hi gordon,
Thanks for your input and advice.I m still blown away by what i heard.I was really suprised.I knew they were good but that good.definately no comparaisoin to box speakers..M hooked.I am even scare of trying the higher models, as too scared i ll love them too much and want them.I am a bit on a budget so around $10,000 is waht i can put for speakers.
I am looking at the ayre integrated which is only 60w but got some decent specs and seems stable at low impedance.On the other hand i am looking at the wyred for sound pre/power with matching dac as seems a good value for money, but not sure that the amp can cope well with ML, even though the impedance doubles as it halves...Will have to investigate a bit mkore.
Have you had any experience with class D and how they cope with low impedance.
sincerely yours
john

Hi gordon,
Thanks for your input and advice.I m still blown away by what i heard.I was really suprised.I knew they were good but that good.definately no comparaisoin to box speakers..M hooked.I am even scare of trying the higher models, as too scared i ll love them too much and want them.I am a bit on a budget so around $10,000 is waht i can put for speakers.
I am looking at the ayre integrated which is only 60w but got some decent specs and seems stable at low impedance.On the other hand i am looking at the wyred for sound pre/power with matching dac as seems a good value for money, but not sure that the amp can cope well with ML, even though the impedance doubles as it halves...Will have to investigate a bit mkore.
Have you had any experience with class D and how they cope with low impedance.
sincerely yours

john

I work for local stereo shop since 1982, Class D power amplifiers so far do not like difficult loads such as Martin Logan....this is based on experience trying Bel Canto, Rotel and others. Have not tried Audio Research yet or Nu Force or Wyred for sound.

Dan

hi dan,
Thanks for your input and advice.I am indeed worried about class d not being able to cope.What are the characteristics or signs that class d can t cope whilst listening to music...clipping?Stress??
What amp do you recommend in terms of capabalities, not so much sound as this is subjective and personal but don t wan t to waste my time auditioning heaps of amps that can t cope...
thanks
sincerely yours
john

Interesting which Bel Cantos did you try? For the two or three hours
I had a full working pair of Vistas the BC M-300 were doing-very well. Which ML did you use?
Bill

I ran Bel Canto Ref1000M monos driving Summit-X for about a year... sounded great. Never any problem. Over time I've become a firm believer in high power amps (stable into low impedance loads) for MLs.

Latest posts

Back