Monoblock Power Amp Recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarkNewbie said:
I haven't even done any room treatments! I plan to try some stuff out eventually but right now, I'm not sure that I need anything done. People say that room treatments make a big difference and if they were to improve upon what I have, then WOW.
You will be surprised at how much room treatments do have an affect on sound quality in your room - when done correctly.

Dan

Vassilis said:
Acoustic Reality 1001
A fantastic non expensive choice!
Wow - a PX 2! I still have one from 150 years ago. How does it sound with your Koetsu? Wonder how it stacks up against today's modern competition? BTW - I'm now using an SME 10.

DTB300 said:
Hey Dan...

I went through this same thing with an amp upgrade earlier this year. Listened to both Tube and Solid State amps (I use an ARC Tube Pre) and settled on a Plinius SA-102 Solid State (Class A/B or Class A switchable). Tube midrange, but control and authority in the bass, with smooth but detailed high end - not your typical SS sound.

There are many amps out in the world to audition and I am sure there is one that you and your tastes will like, matched up with your room and current equipment. Each one of us likes a certain amp for our setups and our tastes, and each of us will tell you what "we" like, but you are the final determination.

Time for road trips to get auditions and demos, to find that special component that fits your needs and preferences.

Dan

Hi DTB, I totally agree with you with SA-102. I am using Sonic Frontiers Line 1 and Wadia 861 with SA-102. It really sounds like a tube amp. There is a tremendous improvement in terms of midrange, big sound stage and very balanced sound with Dakiom Stabilzers in all points (amp output, CD player and Pre-amp output).It's worth giving them a try. I have the privildge of using the Balanced design. Yesterday, I auditioned a very high end system (Krell 400mcx, KP25 CD Player with Pre-amp and ML Prodigy). It sounded very nice speacially Keith Jarret's piano. But I can say my present system with ML'S SL3 is not much way behind. I hAve placed an order with DH Labs Q-10 and 2 pairs Silver Revelation XLR IC and looking forward for some change in sound.

DTB300 said:
You will be surprised at how much room treatments do have an affect on sound quality in your room - when done correctly.

Dan

I do watch all of the posts on this subject closely. I did try hanging a couple of large towels on the backs of the speakers to see what that did and it only made them sound flat and dull. When I get ready, may I come to you for suggestions? :confused:

MarkNewbie said:
I do watch all of the posts on this subject closely. I did try hanging a couple of large towels on the backs of the speakers to see what that did and it only made them sound flat and dull. When I get ready, may I come to you for suggestions? :confused:

I had more luck hanging the towel on the wall behind the towers. You can see it in my photo I posted in the member systems.

Acoustic treatments can make a world of difference, and Dan said the keyword "when done correctly"

aliveatfive said:
Wow - a PX 2! I still have one from 150 years ago. How does it sound with your Koetsu? Wonder how it stacks up against today's modern competition? BTW - I'm now using an SME 10.
It stacks up against today's best perfectly!

It belongs (by today standards) to the ultra high end class!

Don't write off tubes yet!

Dan Osib said:
Tube amps are awesome but the only thing that bothers me is that it can be expensive to replace all the tubes when they wear out. Conrad Johnson quoted me over $1200!!?? to retube their best power amps - the Premier 8A. I listen to music music and TV on my system at least 7 hours per day so I'll be replacing the tubes once every 2 years or less. Therefore it is going to have to be Solid State.

Not all tube amps are insanely expensive to re-tube. I have Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monos (100 watts per in pentode mode, 60 watts in triode mode) that cost less than $200.00 to retube the pair. You might consider these as they are actual giant killers at a ridiculous price ($2499.00/pr.)

TAD-1000

MarkNewbie said:
I do watch all of the posts on this subject closely. I did try hanging a couple of large towels on the backs of the speakers to see what that did and it only made them sound flat and dull.
I would agree that a towel over the back would have that affect. Like Joe stated try one on the wall behind the speaker, instead of ON the speaker. I did some experiments with some long nap rug I had lying around. Cut it into 2x2 and 1x1 sections and experimented with it behind the speaker and also along the first reflection point. Prefered it much better behind covering some of the wall and leaving some alone.

When I get ready, may I come to you for suggestions?
All that I know has been from trial and error and what ended up sounding the best to me in my room. With the Auralex, I used "T" pins to attach to wall so I could move them around (instead of glueing them in place). The wall is rough stucco type, so the small holes are not noticeable when I moved them around. And this agreed with the wife :D I found if I used too much (almost entire wall behind speaker), it did deaden the sound too much, but when I removed and played around with layouts, it really helped.

I learned most of the "little" I know from a couple of forums:

Ethan Winer is great and has a nice product in his Real Traps:
http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=26;hardset=0;start_point=0;DaysPrune=0

Rives Audio is a professional company that consults and does rooms:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/rives/bbs.html

Here is a place where you can purchase Ridged Fiberglass and Acoutic Cotton:
http://www.sensiblesoundsolutions.com/

Lastly, here is a large company that will even deal with a single audiophile:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/echo_eliminator/wall_panel.htm?d=0

Later...Dan

Last edited:
Dan, I'd like to put in a plug for Rowland amps. I have owned four different Rowland amps and two different Rowland preamps. Their gear has always had an "in the room with you " presentation (ie "here" as opposed to "elsewhere"). They could well be exactly what you are searching for. Enjoy the hunt!

First, I’m surprised no one has stated the obvious choice here. Remember, Dan just got a TacT RCS.
He has CLS’s, which more than any other ML needs current, tons of it, to sound good with a decent mid-bass.

Dan, my recommendation is the TacT Millennium (latest greatest, MkIII I believe). This puppy can take a direct digital feed from your RCS, and does volume control via actual amp modulation (see the Tact info on their site), and it supplies >100 amps of current per channel.

Latest posts

Back