Advice On Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks SE Version

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Osib

Reaction score
I'm taking the plunge and have put in a order for a pair of Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks in the SE upgraded version. Can anyone here tell me how good these things are by comparing them to similarly transparent amps from other well known brands like Krell for example. I'm trying to achieve a Reference level sound quality (not State Of The Art level which I know is out of my price range and reach). I'm relying on the positive reviews I've read on this amp. Do they really cut the sonic mustard? I'm going to be using them with a Tact 2.2X preamp (Aberdeen Components Modified) and my beloved ML CLS IIz's.

I also wonder what these amps can do in terms of performace compared to it's peers. I noticed there is an option to increase the secondary capacitance from 60-120K UF on the Stratos, and the mono extremes come with a mind blowing 360K UF. I wonder what it produces into 4 ohms? doesn't look like it would have any problems pushing the Odysseys.

Hello, I run these amps with my Ascent i's. I've posted some comments in my member gallery #172. Please take a look.

I 've compared these amps directly against B&K ST1400II and it was no contest. I have not compared them directly against Krell or others....haven't felt the need to. These amps rock. :rocker: Just need to let them break in.

Adamo, you mention peers. Really nothing comes to mind in the price range. Yeah, I've heard the big boys like Krell, Classe, McIntosh...and dont get me wrong they sound great, maybe a hair better than mine, but do the math :p You can get a sweet sounding set of monos, with all the power you can handle, customized options, great service, 20 year warranty, and an actual upgrade path for <$3000 (btw, I bought mine used and upgraded from there :cool: )

Sonic performance aside, I think its the upgrade path I like the best. 1) lets you spread the cost out over time. 2) Keeps the resale value up. IF I ever get the itch to sell them, I should be able to break even (I see a couple of sets on audiogon right now for about $2400).

Klaus now has some board changes which are getting a lot of good press, so may pull the trigger agains someday when the amps become my weak link.....but....I dont see that happening any time soom.

Reco you look at the Odyssey forum at audiocircle.com and you'll find a ton of information. Loads more than the company website.

Enjoy. :cheers:

Back