ML stupor systems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorToad

Reaction score
Just perusing ebay and other mass outlets of used stuff, I've been noticing a scary trend. A great number of people selling their MLs seem to have no idea at all how to place their speakers. I have to include the nice old guy I bought mine from in this group, too. I saved a few examples, in each of these the speakers were shown as-used and the other side was at least as bad or worse! The first pic is my Sequels in their former home, the others are from ebay or similar.

I wonder how many of these folks would be selling their MLs if they were able to capture the potential lost from their not knowing the importance of placement.

Edit: Apologies if these belong to any forumites! :D Somehow I think that's unlikely, though.

Attachments

• IMG_0701 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0701 (Medium).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 362
  • wth.JPG
    wth.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 366
  • seq2.JPG
    seq2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Two more. (More words to get ten characters.) :)

Attachments

• ascent.JPG
    ascent.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 365
  • sl3.JPG
    sl3.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 361
Yeah.. It's hard for me to bash these people because we don't really know their circumstances.

Scenario 1
Maybe at one point they had a nice big room, but then they had a kid... or they lost their job and had to downsize their home...

they just couldn't part with their Logans and so they kept them in hopes that someday they'll get a room big enough to enjoy them.

Scenario 2
WAF.. Poontang vs. big stereo speakers. Poontang wins most of the time.

Scenario 3
They liked the looks of Logans and don't really care about getting the most out of them.

In all these scenarios, they purchased MartinLogan speakers, which puts dollars into development at ML, which keeps ML going.

Unfortunately, if they have an audiophile friend come over and hear their system, they'll be underwhelmed at the performance they'll hear.

with that being said, however, that one picture of the Logan sitting on a glass table is really really bad. I can't imagine doing that.

Yeah, I don't intend to bash the people, per se, but looking at the speakers is, for me, like looking at the animals in the Humane Society commercials. I'm not one who would tell people what to do with their own stuff (okay, that's a lie!), but the Vistas on the glass table were a 5-alarm WTF.

I can understand WAF... from a distance. It's just not something I can deal with personally. It's like a girl telling me to sell my bikes. "These bikes were here when you got here and they'll be here when you're gone." End of story. :D

with that being said, however, that one picture of the Logan sitting on a glass table is really really bad. I can't imagine doing that.

That's the only one to me that looked valid - it looks like it was placed there specifically for the photo shoot.

That's the only one to me that looked valid - it looks like it was placed there specifically for the photo shoot.
Sadly, the other speaker was placed identically on the other side of the entertainment stand. I agree with your speaker choice, though. :)

I sadly am now a member of that hall of shame as I know what sounds best but balance the harmonics with marital harmony. The worst is my HT where I actually have to put my Sequel II's and Theratre Center in an enclosed space/enclosure. Note the pictures in the wife mode and my mode.

A pain but when watching a movie with the family no notion of a Logan but couple of free hours and its concert DVDs and Logan's in proper postioning. Not ideal but I bet there are a few of us out there that do the same. I doubt there are too many people that would put a speaker on a table for any reason but there are stranger things in life.

While I in full confession mode my 2 channel set up is quite a compromise as well as the Monolith III's are just too cramped in the space I have them now but on the few times I found myself with a family free weekend I have moved them up into the Theatre room and in the open space they do make me think about changing the locks.

Attachments

• HT in my wifes mode (Small).jpg
    HT in my wifes mode (Small).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Sequel II and Theatre Center in my mode (Small) (Small).jpg
    Sequel II and Theatre Center in my mode (Small) (Small).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 278
  • HT Sequel II (Small).jpg
    HT Sequel II (Small).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 281
state regulated audio license ?

just kidding;)

they probaby still sound better than most of the stuff out their today.
when I got my first pair of logans I had no idea how to set them up
1)flat against the wall
2)pointed straight at me

even then I thought they kicked A

now some of you guys need to ask for your balls back from the
wife! I have seen some terrible setups beacuse the wife can't deal with a
little audio gear and thats out of controll. some men have been reduced to nothing more than a slave what a sad situation these days.

Last edited:
Maybe what some folks need is a REMOTE-CONTROL motorized platform that rolls out the ML's to their optimal position for two-channel listening at the touch of a button, then back to WAF mode later! Now THAT would be an interesting tweak!

I sadly am now a member of that hall of shame as I know what sounds best but balance the harmonics with marital harmony. The worst is my HT where I actually have to put my Sequel II's and Theratre Center in an enclosed space/enclosure. Note the pictures in the wife mode and my mode.

A pain but when watching a movie with the family no notion of a Logan but couple of free hours and its concert DVDs and Logan's in proper postioning. Not ideal but I bet there are a few of us out there that do the same. I doubt there are too many people that would put a speaker on a table for any reason but there are stranger things in life.

While I in full confession mode my 2 channel set up is quite a compromise as well as the Monolith III's are just too cramped in the space I have them now but on the few times I found myself with a family free weekend I have moved them up into the Theatre room and in the open space they do make me think about changing the locks.

Maybe what some folks need is a REMOTE-CONTROL motorized platform that rolls out the ML's to their optimal position for two-channel listening at the touch of a button, then back to WAF mode later! Now THAT would be an interesting tweak!

I love the idea!

I for one do not bash other people for their choice in doing anything in audio. May not agree with the choice, but until asked I remain quiet. I don't know any of the circumstances as to why they are the way they are. There must be a reason.

Fish Man, do you have a significant other? If you don't, you won't understand. If you do, perhaps your signicant other is the real slave you mention. My wife is very easy going when it comes to our stereo and pretty much anything goes. But I do discuss changes with her since it is here for her enjoyment also. I've not given her my reproductive organs, it comes from being married for 27 years and taking her opinions into account. Life is a compromise and for those fortunate enough to have a room to do as they please with no compromise required, I say great! We do not have the space to dedicate as a choice and it seems to work well for us.

Tom pretty well summed it up. Most notably the "Poontang vs. big stereo speakers. Poontang wins most of the time". Classic.

Gordon

you miss understand me

I for one do not bash other people for their choice in doing anything in audio. May not agree with the choice, but until asked I remain quiet. I don't know any of the circumstances as to why they are the way they are. There must be a reason.

Fish Man, do you have a significant other? If you don't, you won't understand. If you do, perhaps your signicant other is the real slave you mention. My wife is very easy going when it comes to our stereo and pretty much anything goes. But I do discuss changes with her since it is here for her enjoyment also. I've not given her my reproductive organs, it comes from being married for 27 years and taking her opinions into account. Life is a compromise and for those fortunate enough to have a room to do as they please with no compromise required, I say great! We do not have the space to dedicate as a choice and it seems to work well for us.

Tom pretty well summed it up. Most notably the "Poontang vs. big stereo speakers. Poontang wins most of the time". Classic.

Gordon

It sound like you have balanced relations which is good but there is a growing trend of guys that seem to have to ask and beg for every little thing.

One should also point out the growing trend of women doing all of the household budgeting, balancing of the checkbook, and making all of the usual monthly payments. This, in and of itself, is a good thing as women tend to be more vigilant about such things. The downside is that they are not as likely to bite on discretionary spending [ read: expensive hifi gear ]. They, controlling most aspects of the home, are also not as likely to roll over when you debate speaker placement -- especially big ones like full-range 'Logans.

BTW, I have not written a check or paid a single bill in over 10 years. Relieved of that headache, I'll comply with her interior design philosophies as often as I can. ;)

~VDR

One should also point out the growing trend of women doing all of the household budgeting, balancing of the checkbook, and making all of the usual monthly payments. This, in and of itself, is a good thing as women tend to be more vigilant about such things. The downside is that they are not as likely to bite on discretionary spending [ read: expensive hifi gear ]. They, controlling most aspects of the home, are also not as likely to roll over when you debate speaker placement -- especially big ones like full-range 'Logans.

BTW, I have not written a check or paid a single bill in over 10 years. Relieved of that headache, I'll comply with her interior design philosophies as often as I can. ;)

~VDR

Ha ha, you're lucky! I tend to all the bill paying in this household.

its a sad trend

I have not paid a bill either in years! a good accountant and book keeper is
the answer to this one.you can thank the liberal democrats for screwing up society so badly that now both the men and the woman have to go to work to make ends meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back