ML Descent spike dimensions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakham

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my Grotto to the venerable Descent. I was wondering if anybody has the measurements for the spike layout on the bottom...aka how far apart are they from each other.

In pics I see 3 of them.

Reason I ask is I have a subdudeHD below my Grotto and I'm unsure if it will fit the Descent. The Descent is in transit and I want things to be ready when it gets here :).

Not to be evil :devil:, but I'm going to bump this tomorrow again....

All I ask is someone take a measuring tape and measure the distance between 2 spikes.

Oh...also...anybody with descent on hard wood floors, please let me know how you decoupled it from the ground.

The Descent manual on the ML site has front, side, and back views of the sub, and has dimensions, but does not include the distance between the spikes; however, you should be able to work it out from the dimensions given, as the spikes are shown.

The Descent manual on the ML site has front, side, and back views of the sub, and has dimensions, but does not include the distance between the spikes; however, you should be able to work it out from the dimensions given, as the spikes are shown.

Yeah...I spent a couple of minutes doing the math and geometry, issue is I don't know how far away from the edge the spike is...so I'll end up with a range...

I believe I got between 20" and 29"...the 29" was a rough calculation.

I was just hoping to get a more accurate number.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying those larger Auralex platforms. If anybody has any other nice ideas, I'm all ears.

Bass? What base?!

Hi Amir,

I use 3 cm granite, kitchen worktop off cut will do it and a square of that thin weave rubber antiskid underlay that one uses under oriental rugs. IKEA has it.

Copper coins under the spikes save scratching the stone but carbon is even better.

Finally found an inches ruler here in metric land, 10 inches between the 2 spikes at the front and 12 inches from each of them to the rear spike.

Howzat?

Fjeff

Last edited:
Hi Amir,

I use 3 cm granite, kitchen worktop off cut will do it and a square of that thin weave rubber antiskid underlay that one uses under oriental rugs. IKEA has it.

Copper coins under the spikes save scratching the stone but carbon is even better.

Finally found an inches ruler here in metric land, 10 inches between the 2 spikes at the front and 12 inches from each of them to the rear spike.

Howzat?

Fjeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! I'm originally Canadian, so I'm used to fancy cm measurements. Besides 1 in = 25.4mm :D.

Wow...so I was waaay off...just wait till my son hits HS and makes fun of me...the internet doesn't forget ;).

ML must keep the spikes pretty deep under the woofer. This means the 15x15 SubdudeHD should work fine.

Nice idea on the granite, I have a couple of pieces lying around and also some of that weave you are talking about. If the SubdudeHD doesn't work, I will try the granite route.

Assuming it will be on a wood floor, hocky pucks. Thank Rich for the idea.

Drill a small hole in the center for the spike to sit in.

Cheap and works well. However, since Rich came up with the idea, I've heard someone has started making "audiophile approved" pucks.

GG

Assuming it will be on a wood floor, hocky pucks. Thank Rich for the idea.

Drill a small hole in the center for the spike to sit in.

Cheap and works well. However, since Rich came up with the idea, I've heard someone has started making "audiophile approved" pucks.

GG

Don't most ML speakers and subs come with medium/hard rubber footers along with spikes? All mine have. After tons of experimentation including any number of materials (stone, wood, plastic, rubber, spikes alone, spike with discs, and even the subdude)... for my room (h/w floors), I've come to the conclusion that the rubber footers that come with the speakers are among the best of the available options.

- my 2

Suffice to say that my experience, in my room, differs from yours.

Vibration is the Achilles heal of good audio. That goes for all hardware.

And yes, I also have wood floors.

GG

Don't most ML speakers and subs come with medium/hard rubber footers along with spikes? All mine have. After tons of experimentation including any number of materials (stone, wood, plastic, rubber, spikes alone, spike with discs, and even the subdude)... for my room (h/w floors), I've come to the conclusion that the rubber footers that come with the speakers are among the best of the available options.

- my 2

Funny, my conclusion was the opposite.

My Grotto came with rubber feet. After switching to spikes & SubdudeHD isolation platform, pretty much all the room vibrations went away. The remaining vibrations were due to resonance from the bass itself vs the box.

Of course, it was louder with rubber feet.

It's possible that your room is very solid and if everything else is decoupled from the floor, and your baseboard trim has caulking to decouple it, etc.

My room has lots of stuff (see signature). Even with the decoupling, I need to do further damping of things in the room.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting I went with the relatively large CLX model to compensate? ;)

Who me?! Perish the thought.

Remember, we are separated by a common language! A rubber for us in the more recently "ex'd" colonies is an eraser I believe.

But since you ask, I do think size matters ( when it comes to 'stats') and we are better for it!

Not to be evil :devil:, but I'm going to bump this tomorrow again....

All I ask is someone take a measuring tape and measure the distance between 2 spikes.

Oh...also...anybody with descent on hard wood floors, please let me know how you decoupled it from the ground.

If you decouple from the floor, try Aurios 1.2 or the Aurios Pro. They have a tiny dimple in the top that is a perfect match for the Descent's spikes. When I have used the Aurios on top of Symposium, the bass really tightened up but I had to turn the volume of the subs way up. I have carpet tile and use the spikes now. I hope this answers your question. It does work.

If you decouple from the floor, try Aurios 1.2 or the Aurios Pro. They have a tiny dimple in the top that is a perfect match for the Descent's spikes. When I have used the Aurios on top of Symposium, the bass really tightened up but I had to turn the volume of the subs way up. I have carpet tile and use the spikes now. I hope this answers your question. It does work.

Man...I like it, but it's a pricey option. If anybody has every compared the Aurios 1.2 and the subdudeHD, it would be good to hear.

Update on the sub...
I got the Descent, and man is it amazing! Goes really low, sounds so subtle, i can't say enough good things about it. It really is a magnificent piece.

I'm debating whether I even need to isolate it as it appears to not vibrate at all. But...my pinball machine glass vibrates, so that's something new to deal with. Maybe I should finish the basement and split the game room and home-theater/music room.

I will probably test it on the Subdude HD, just haven't had time yet.

I think first I should figure out placement. With the 3 woofers, the dynamics are very different than the Grotto.

Back