ML reQuests - reseating the stator up where it belongs.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audio Fan

Reaction score
Hi All.

New ML owner here. Very impressed and happy with the sound. Believe it or not, my wife was the one coaching me to buy them when we heard them in a dealer's store. I wasn't so sure, but was able to get them home for an evaluation. It was in my audio room that they really proved their sound. Thus, I bought them. (My wife doing "I told him so"s to anyone willing to listen. :)

However, not surprisingly - as they are older - my MLs have a small issue. The stator and it's bass partner below it have slipped down. To the point of the bottom one touching the floor. (See pics) I have seen a few posts regarding this issue with some other ML owners - so, this is not unusual - nor, apparently, a difficult issue to rectify.

But, very hesitant to 'jump into it' without some feedback or guidance. I am very handy, (woodworker) so, I'm not unfamiliar with taking things apart and putting them back together.

My understanding is that I need to;

1) disconnect the speakers (signal and power) - wait until next day. (12 hours?)
2) tap the rails (from the top->down) to dislodge them from the 'keyhole' clips on the speaker cabinet - should be 3.
NOTE: I was informed that this model speaker spanned a timeframe where the rails were changed from being tapped on 'upwards' to 'downwards'. I was informed by the seller that these are to be tapped 'downward' to be removed. (Hope he's correct).
3) create some type of 'L'-shaped 'catch' and screw it to the rails to catch (or prevent) the stator from sliding past the bottom of the rail. After reading various 'solutions' this seemed the more reliable. According to the prior owner, he has already tried double-sided tape, and it obviously hasn't managed.
4) place the rails back on - minding that I've caught all 3 keyhole clips ans tap 'upwards' into place.
5) Done.

So - if I've missed something above, please let me know.

And lastly - I can see a dark 'fuzzy spot' inside each hole of the stator. On the membrane. Some a little worse than others. I'm assuming this is an accumulation of dust/dirt and should be removed? Suggestions on best (and safest) method? I've read of the 'shower' method - but, a little hesitant to do that. Although -if that is what it takes - ok, I'll do it - providing I have trusted instructions... I've also read the 'Q-tip' method. After calculating how many holes there are, causes me to re-evaluate the shower method.

So - thanks much in advance for any/all feedback.

Pat

Attachments

• ML - Request - Top.jpg
    ML - Request - Top.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 136
  • ML - Request - Bottom.jpg
    ML - Request - Bottom.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 139
Hi Pat, please contact MartinLogan customer support. They have created brackets for the older ML speakers so you don't have to create some yourself... They used to give them away... just have to ask. Hopefully they still do.
Everything else about your post was correct.

Best,

Tom.

It's very easy to set those back into place. Some models have the rail that you hit from the top, others from the bottom. Use a rubber mallet and a solid hit, they will come right off.. good luck!

Dan

Also, you will notice when you take off the panels that they are held on with double sided sticky tape with a layer of foam in between. It's probably a good idea to replace this too. Your local home improvement store has various kinds of double sided foam sticky tape.

Got the same issue with mine. Wasn't aware ML had brackets. I'll give 'em a call.

Where would you guys get replacement fabric and name plates from?

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I miss aspects of mine too, CAP. I, woulda coulda shoulda, myself about whether selling my reQuests instead of buying new panels for them was the correct decision. They were such a great speaker...

Dan

Thanks much for the replies guys...

I should manage to get the rails off cleanly. I'll just be careful.

The double sided tape, I'll check for at Home Depot. They have a few varieties.

I did contact ML about the 'brackets' - but, they were just metal tabs with 2 holes to screw into the base of the cabinet. I think I may try to attach a small 'L' shaped bracket to the bottom of the rail. I recall someone doing this on another thread somewhere. It looked a lot cleaner. The metal bracket just seemed like a 'patch'.

Stator bracket.JPG

And lastly - I can see a dark 'fuzzy spot' inside each hole of the stator. On the membrane. Some a little worse than others. I'm assuming this is an accumulation of dust/dirt and should be removed? Suggestions on best (and safest) method? I've read of the 'shower' method - but, a little hesitant to do that. Although -if that is what it takes - ok, I'll do it - providing I have trusted instructions... I've also read the 'Q-tip' method. After calculating how many holes there are, causes me to re-evaluate the shower method.

It is my educated guess that the spots you see are the additional 'graphite' coating which has migrated over time. It's normal and seen on all MLs after a while (so don't clean it off).

Got those same 'spots' on mine, also. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back