Minimum room dimensions for Summit?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

output555

Reaction score
First, I apologize for the redundancy of this question. I know variations of it have been asked several times before--but I'm still vague about the answer.

So...

For a room measuring 14.5' w x 21' l x 9" h would I better be off with a Vantage or a Summit? I've read some posts saying the minimum room width for a Summit is 18' otherwise it will overpower the room.

All knowledgeable recommendations welcomed.

Summits are diminutive compared to older ML designs. I use them in a room about 15' wide and they sound great.

I Summits in an 11(w) x 14(l) room and they sound great. Prior to the Summits I had Vistas in the same room. The Summits sound much better.

I am sure that the Summits would sound better yet in a larger room, but they do just fine in a small one. The disadvantage of a small room is a small sweet spot, but I mostly listen alone so that is not a problem for me.

For a room measuring 14.5' w x 21' l x 9" h would I better be off with a Vantage or a Summit? I've read some posts saying the minimum room width for a Summit is 18' otherwise it will overpower the room.

All knowledgeable recommendations welcomed.

I don't think that the Summits will overpower that room. I have a much much smaller room than that and my Summits load it up just fine. I did have my Summits in a room very similar to those specs (13x20) and I thought the Summits were beginning to lack bass, or atleast did not have the bass that I was accustomed to in the smaller room and I was pretty close to adding a sub.

From my experience, with the room you have, you would benefit from a subwoofer even with the Summits. That said, the question is going to be whether a Vantage + good sub will load the room better than the Summits alone...

That's a tough question as I think the Summits perform better than the Vantages and are certainly more coherent. However, there is no doubt that when you have Vantages based on a foundation of subwoofer/s, you have something with more oomph than the Summits alone.

Tough choice.

Is your room fully enclosed? If there are openings and/or windows, it will be acoustically larger.

For example our system is in the great room, which is similar to your's in dimensions at 16' wide, 22' deep, and a 10' ceiling. However, it also has a 6' high x 8' wide window and 8' x 8' sliding glass door on the right wall, an 8' x 8' entry way at the rear of the left wall, and 3/4 of the back the room is mostly open to the kitchen.

I'm really, really happy with how the Summits fill this room with sound. :music:

You may find that listening to an ESL in a smaller room in the near field, if that is required, can make for a magical listening experience. The detail and soundstage presented can be very realistic compared to a more distant presentation which has its own rewards.

You may find that listening to an ESL in a smaller room in the near field, if that is required, can make for a magical listening experience. The detail and soundstage presented can be very realistic compared to a more distant presentation which has its own rewards.

I could not have put it better than this post here.

I have Summits in a room that is basically 14' wide by 19' long by 9' high and they sound fantastic. The room is fully treated with real traps acoustic treatments, so there is a lot of absorption. I can crank the Summits up and they sound heavenly.

Back