MIcrophone XLR, is this ok for audio use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
As the title suggest, this question goes out to you guys who have experience with balanced wiring. Now, while I was perusing through the net for a good set of not-so-expensive balanced cables for my set up, I came upon microphone xlr which looks very much identical to the balanced xlr that we use.

Now, I know that XLR was developed to handle long runs such as those found in a concert or PA system.

So, would these microphone XLR work ok in my system? I just want to double check in case there's something that I'm missing.

Thanks,

Joey

As far as the type of cable, it should be fine -- microphone signals have the same requirements as signals from other sources. Whether or not the cable in question is of sufficient quality for your audio needs is another matter.

If your system uses full balanced gear, a studio-quality
microphone cable is an affordable and hard to beat interconnect
(especially for long runs in a HT). Mogami microphone
cables are good enough for recording studios, so they're
good enough for my system.

I use 40-ft mic cables for the L/R channels when my system
is in HT-mode. Although I have an old pair of 1M Transparent
"Plus" XLR interconnects between my BAT cd player and
Krell preamp, I still use Mogami 5-ft XLR "patch" cables
between my preamp and the FBP-300.

I've never heard a difference between mic cables and
"boutique" interconnects. However, I must admit that I've
still not auditioned the very top-shelf interconnects like
Transparent Ref.

Brian, Neil, and Dan...

Thanks for the help all!

So now I know these cables work, but the question is whether they stand up to the boutique cables. I, for one, have not been a subscriber of the boutique gear... but that's not to say that they don't work - it's just that I have not felt that I'm in the position to start spending on cables... yet.

At the moment, I just want to start out with some well priced balanced xlr interconnects and I might have to stick with something like the ones that Brian just linked to me.

So, question.... does the connector (Neutrik) make a whole lot of difference?

Joey

So now I know these cables work, but the question is whether they stand up to the boutique cables. I, for one, have not been a subscriber of the boutique gear... but that's not to say that they don't work - it's just that I have not felt that I'm in the position to start spending on cables... yet.

At the moment, I just want to start out with some well priced balanced xlr interconnects and I might have to stick with something like the ones that Brian just linked to me.

So, question.... does the connector (Neutrik) make a whole lot of difference?

Joey

Mogami is an excellent choice, it's value is great, those expensive balanced interconnects can hardly justify its price.

Don't buy cheap interconnects! Neutrik is easy in/out and doesn't damage plugs, cheap connectors can stuck, or even not 'click' properly. In my small home studio I only use neutrik.

Have fun with balanced music :music: :rocker:

I also highly recommend Blue Jeans Cable, Joey. That is what I am using to connect all my gear with balanced connections. They make a great product at a reasonable price and you can order whatever length of cable you need. I firmly believe they will perform as well or better as any of the high priced boutique cables.

Thanks fellas! Again, big help!

I'm going with Canare with Neutriks... can't wait to go baaaaalanced! Source to amp.... saweet!

mic cables were in my system for a time and they weren way to bright. I recomend a good cable. I am running these Anaylys Plus Copper oval one. They are mellow and sweet at the same time and are not that bad onb the wallet.

Latest posts

Back