Meridian and iPod video

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Meridian is planning to release the Iris universal iPod Dock with a built-in HD video upscaler. Using Marvell's Qdeo digital processing engine the device will upscale iPod video to 1080p (HDMI) or 720p (component) as well as feature digital (optical) and analog audio. Considering that the iPod's TV out resolution is limited to VGA (640x480) this could be a major improvement. On the other hand, upscalers can only do so much--there's just not that much data there to begin with--so it's still going to be a far cry from true HDTV. Personally I'd be quite curious to see what its output looks like when the device ships in November.

full article here: http://playlistmag.com/news/2007/09/06/iris/index.php?lsrc=mwrss

As you noted scalers can be a blessing or a curse. It will be interesting to see how well this one works!

An iPod dock from Meridian.... Now I've seen it all!!! :D

But maybe not... I'm sure if someone hasn't already we'll see a tubed iPod dock one day :eek:

Seeing as how Meridian own Faroudja (of video scaler fame), one would hope video performance is good.

Meridian is not a company prone to releasing a product before its time, matter of fact, they typically trail the tech curve lately, but whatever they deliver is first-class when it shows up.

And the industrial design of this thing is awesome

Attachments

• Meridian-iris.jpg
    Meridian-iris.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 139
Is this what you were referring to the Fatman iTUBE

That's awesome :D I figured someone had one! If I ever get around to loading my iPod I may have to have one of those. Fatman for FatJ!!! We have three iPods in the house... One for me, my wife, and my oldest daughter. Only one of them has ever been used and I'm sure you can guess which!

Seeing as how Meridian own Faroudja (of video scaler fame), one would hope video performance is good.

Meridian is not a company prone to releasing a product before its time, matter of fact, they typically trail the tech curve lately, but whatever they deliver is first-class when it shows up.

And the industrial design of this thing is awesome

I figured it would be. I'm infatuated with my G57 amplifier from them :bowdown:
Did anybody see the $3000 boombox they debuted at CEDIA with the Ferrari paint job? :rocker:

Saw the ipod dock at the Meridian press conference (at CEDIA) on Friday and I can assure you it is VERY impressive. For me, the coolest thing about it was not the video, but the fact that you now have a DIGITAL output for your iPod, so if you load it up with lossless or uncompressed, you can have truly audiophile quality out of your iPod without having it modded....

The radio is much more than a boom box for 3000 dollars. It employs an AM/FM tuner, Meridian CD and DVD transport with native 24/96 processing, the same DSP technology as in their 60K flagship speakers with a built in 2.1 speaker system and a number of other goodies.

I was blown away by how good this thing sounds! They want to go head to head with all the people that are paying 1500-3000 for a BOSE radio and I can tell you after hearing it, that it is far superior to the BOSE.

My review sample is on the way and I should have it by the end of next week. I told Bob Stuart himself that there are two of us on the TONE staff that want to buy them. (I'm getting mine in yellow, our classical editor is ordering his in red)

I was blown away by how good this thing sounds! They want to go head to head with all the people that are paying 1500-3000 for a BOSE radio and I can tell you after hearing it, that it is far superior to the BOSE.

You'll have to give me a minute...

....I'm still in shock that someone would compare b(l)ose to Meridian :stop:

You can get a surround sound system from b(l)ose for 3000 but if you want a full Meridian sound surround system you have to step up with some serious jack for very good reasons! Similarly, you can get a boombox from b(l)ose for a few hundred dollars but... you get the idea... :D The level of the F80's badassedness doesn't change the fact that it's still a boombox!!

BTW... Good call on the Yellow!

Come on out to CES and I'll introduce you to Bob Stuart. You can tell him personally that you think it's a boombox...

I highly suggest you hear it before you make such an offhanded comment!

This is a serious piece of hifi gear. And it also has a built in DVD player as well...

If I make it out to the show this year I will certainly stop by to let them know how sweet their new boombox is ;)

I'm not doubting by any means that it rocks, but it's one of those things... if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.....

You can buy a Ferrari or you can buy a Focus.... They're both cars!

If I had the need for a boombox this would certainly be top of my list.

You really don't get it at all. If you think a Ferrari and a Focus are both just cars, you don't get that either....

I take it you haven't driven many Ferraris, or you wouldn't make that comment!

Oh well...

You guys have the attention span of a fly. :D What happened to the topic of, Meridian and iPod, or would we rather argue like whiney little bitches over a car? ::p

Dude you are really cracking me up. Let's looks at the facts:

Ferrari makes cars,
Martin Logan makes speakers,
and Meridian makes all things audio including this BOOMBOX! Check it out on their webpage... Their marketing team is promoting it as an alarm clock and a computer speaker system! I'm sure that they wouldn't be offended by my comments.

Yes, Ferrari makes awesome cars and Martin Logan makes amazing speakers and Meridian makes phenomenal A/V gear. I can see now I'm going to have to roll up to CES in a Ferrari to meet with Mr. Stuart to discuss his new toy.

SugarMedia - Yes... that is a nice iPod dock. So nice that it might not be an iPod dock. Hmmm..... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back