matching Martin Logans with Finalsounds

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is true, but most full range speakers can give you true "dynamic" bass around 60. the problem with full range "stats" or planars, even the ones that claim they can go that low, can't give that same type of bass that even an eight inch woofer in a full range speaker can do due to it's pistonic movement (then again, most of us don't buy full range electrostats or planars to get a punchy mid bass). Then again, these type of speakers give such detail with a 3d holographic image that even the best cone speakers could only dream of. Since most of my listening enjoyment comes from HT, I was looking to get get back a little of that dynamic mid-bass. Everything else about these speakers are fantastic.

To be fair, I don't think there are more than several speakers out there with the tipped-up bass that is necessary for HT sound effects. Most speakers need subwoofer augmentation to get bass levels up for HT purposes.

Absolutely...there are very very few speakers out there than can reach sub 20Hz with authority without the addition of a sub. Didn't mean it as a knock to the summits. I believe their range is perfect for pretty much all music...

Iwalker and other Final owners: How do the finals do with Beaming and soundstage width being they can't use ML's patented Curvilinear configuration?

One review I said said that (Defying expectations) moving off axis didn't cause a drop in high frequencies.

I want an all elecrostatic (Except sub) home theater, and am considering Finals for some or all of it.

-Allen

Iwalker and other Final owners: How do the finals do with Beaming and soundstage width being they can't use ML's patented Curvilinear configuration?

One review I said said that (Defying expectations) moving off axis didn't cause a drop in high frequencies.

I want an all elecrostatic (Except sub) home theater, and am considering Finals for some or all of it.

-Allen

I think that mix-matching the front is something to be avoided. The rear surrounds really could be anything at the levels most people watch movies.

So I'd either go L/C/R with all Finals or all MLs ...

-Allen

I have both a Summit 2-channel system and a 5-channel all Final system with a Descent crossing over at 80 Hz. Much to my suprise the flat Finals exhibit less of a sweet spot than the curved Summits. One gets just the same projection of sound over the full width of a large couch.

The Summits which have a much wider sweet spot than any ML I have owned in almost two decades, still change character even when moving a person's width over on the couch. It does not however lose it's "just here and nowhere else" pattern that even my Prodigys exhibited in spades.

When you look at the Final's membrane you can see clearly that it's geometry is not uniform over the entire area. It is divided into three distinct areas varying in size. I was told that this gives them their more uniform dispersion pattern, I have no idea of the science behind that though.

The Finals have been moved into my music system on occasion, but they will never take the place of my Summits. They simply are not extended enough in the high end and don't do violins and soprano voices with equal ability.

In my 5-channel soundtracks this reticence may work to their advantage. So many soudtracks are overly hot with "spitty" voices and my HT system is all solid state, whereas in my music system there is not a transistor to be found.

I have always thought that the five voices in HT can be rather distinct in themselves. Different boxes and drivers even from the same brands don't always speak the same way. A 5-channel all Final (no crossovers whatsoever!) can be astonishingly coherent. Go for it if you can, you will need a really fast sub as well though.

Last edited:
I have both a Summit 2-channel system and a 5-channel all Final system with a Descent crossing over at 80 Hz. Much to my suprise the flat Finals exhibit less of a sweet spot than the curved Summits. One gets just the same projection of sound over the full width of a large couch.

The Summits which have a much wider sweet spot than any ML I have owned in almost two decades, still change character even when moving a person's width over on the couch. It does not however lose it's "just here and nowhere else" pattern that even my Prodigys exhibited in spades.

When you look at the Final's membrane you can see clearly that it's geometry is not uniform over the entire area. It is divided into three distinct areas varying in size. I was told that this gives them their more uniform dispersion pattern, I have no idea of the science behind that though.

The Finals have been moved into my music system on occasion, but they will never take the place of my Summits. They simply are not extended enough in the high end and don't do violins and soprano voices with equal ability.

In my 5-channel soundtracks this reticence may work to their advantage. So many soudtracks are overly hot with "spitty" voices and my HT system is all solid state, whereas in my music system there is not a transistor to be found.

I have always thought that the five voices in HT can be rather distinct in themselves. Different boxes and drivers even from the same brands don't always speak the same way. A 5-channel all Final (no crossovers whatsoever!) can be astonishingly coherent. Go for it if you can, you will need a really fast sub as well though.

I appreciate these thoughts, and hope others will chime in also. It reminded me of another question though: How is the Final Sound divided into sections that play specific frequencies, without crossovers for those 'sections' of panel?

I think that mix-matching the front is something to be avoided. The rear surrounds really could be anything at the levels most people watch movies.

So I'd either go L/C/R with all Finals or all MLs ...

I agree with you. I'm considering Finals all around, Vista/Stage front with Finals in the rear, or Vista/Stage front with Fresco or Script in the rear.

(Yes I know Fresco isn't technically electrostatic)

I agree with you. I'm considering Finals all around, Vista/Stage front with Finals in the rear, or Vista/Stage front with Fresco or Script in the rear.

(Yes I know Fresco isn't technically electrostatic)

I don't quite agree. The ambient sound in the rear is made up of elements mostly from the left and right. When is information is played by a different driver it is immediately noticable.

Try it by simply using the reference tone to set the various channel levels in a surround processor. It is always the same tone, but it switches in pitch (not necessarily in level) when played by different drivers.

Why not use the small Finals in the back as well if you go that route. I have owned a number of surround systems before but I have never had a less fatigueing set-up than this 5-channel crossoverless Final system, which speaks with the same voice from all corners.

I don't quite agree. The ambient sound in the rear is made up of elements mostly from the left and right. When is information is played by a different driver it is immediately noticable.

Try it by simply using the reference tone to set the various channel levels in a surround processor. It is always the same tone, but it switches in pitch (not necessarily in level) when played by different drivers.

Why not use the small Finals in the back as well if you go that route. I have owned a number of surround systems before but I have never had a less fatigueing set-up than this 5-channel crossoverless Final system, which speaks with the same voice from all corners.

Sorry that wasn't clear. Those are three different options i"m considering:

Option A) Final Sound drivers 7 channels (Front LCR + Side + Rear) with sub woofers
Option B) Vista + Stage for the front channels, with Final sounds for the sides and rears
Option C) Martin Logan all the way around (Vista + Stage for Front, Frescos or Script i's for the sides and rears)

akm3, dbakker is right. I've heard more HT systems then I care to mention. The coherence across the front soundstage from the crossoverless Finals is truly amazing. There is no variance in timbre between the speakers. It's all the same sound. He's also right about the fairly wide sweetspot compared to other electrostats. This also makes setup much easier. Just like the Logans, though, make sure you give them good, clean power. Powered them once with just my Denon and the sound was thin and hollow.

Back