Martin Logan - Super Systems... Seeing / Hearing is Believing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joel...speaking honestly, I do not have any recording. Thanks! for your warm thought of listening to me playing my guitars! Warm regards from Costa Rica! and happy listening!

Played with a few speakers
photo.jpg

but landed on a pair of LX16
lx16.jpg

and a NuForce DDA-100 amp.

Amen I heard 2 pairs of SL'S this week one was the 945's with the updated p/s powered by FM Acoustics & the other was the U-1PX bi-amped with Bag End subs with Pass amps...... Incredible!!! :D
I would seriously like to hear these Soundlabs, but I must admit that I find their marketing sickening. I just went to their web-page and read (not very informative) white paper. They seem to focus as much on thrashing ML as they are on praising themselves. And I would like someone to explain to me why their single-membrane does not suffer the increased tension with out displacement - decrease tension with in displacement they claim for curved panels. The way I see it, a sectioned linear panel has exactly the same problem: In the innermost position, the membrane is compressed, in the outermost position, it is stretched. Only if you break up the membrane so that effectively you introduce a small spacing between sections in the outmost position can you avoid it. The way I see it, what SL claims, is marketing hype. I would still like to hear them, though. I expect them to sound awesome!

Hola. My experience with them was the opposite. When I listened to them, my scenario was like a pancake thick. No depth at all. The instruments where placed at the center image, like a mono recording. Listened big bass coming out from them. But the truth, with all respect, the sound is a matter of liking and I did not. They play loud enough to have the SPL of a live instrument. I am not saying that they are bad, but the image was very, very narrow. You must be seated right between them, otherwise, you don´t have any stage at all. They are electrostatic speakers, with the clean, undistorted with coherence sound. Also the kind brightness is like Magneplanar highs. It is another sound approach but, I love what I listen from any Martin Logan. I think that my ears are very accustomed to ML great sound. Contrary of what they say regarding the curvilinear 30 degree dispersion patron of Martin Logan, I feel that ML is right with this kind of dispersion. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Roberto, I also don't quite get why 45 degrees should be better than 30. Once the MLs are set up proporly, the 30 degree dispersion seems ideal. At least to my ears. But as you say, sound is a matter of liking, and I like ML.

Sl

I would seriously like to hear these Soundlabs, but I must admit that I find their marketing sickening. I just went to their web-page and read (not very informative) white paper. They seem to focus as much on thrashing ML as they are on praising themselves. And I would like someone to explain to me why their single-membrane does not suffer the increased tension with out displacement - decrease tension with in displacement they claim for curved panels. The way I see it, a sectioned linear panel has exactly the same problem: In the innermost position, the membrane is compressed, in the outermost position, it is stretched. Only if you break up the membrane so that effectively you introduce a small spacing between sections in the outmost position can you avoid it. The way I see it, what SL claims, is marketing hype. I would still like to hear them, though. I expect them to sound awesome!

Awesome is correct, forget about the technology when you hear the Stereophile test cd two, track 1 the Fender bass attack,decay,bottom & rolloff without subs will knock you out!!!!!!!!! I am not talking about in a dealers showroom but a home setup. :cool:

Nice.

I need more money. I think an array of rooms like that, each with a different mega high end system in.

Fantastic

Great expensive system,but with that sort of investment more consideration should have been paid to the room.
In my mind there is a skew in the left channel because of open side and rear of the left speaker with the right channel almost in a corner
the glass table got to go. I have seen many super buck systems in the wrong room quite a few times, its like money not well spent :confused:

room

beautiful room but to much glass and refelections wth video i feel he doesnt get a very good balance especially since the right side is all glass and couch is on the left. cabinet is blocking the sound and the left speaker is in front of a doorway. Maybe he has no choice WAF controll.

Back