Martin logan and women

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfp

Reaction score
I am still amaze everytime I hear about guys who seems terrorized by their spouses our girl friend about speaker placement, upgrade or whatever regards their sound systems:)
I love women but not to the point of being forced to forget about my Martin Logans.
Seriously, I live alone and sometimes it's tough but when I see all those guys who talks about WAF or the fear the have In front of their wife regarding their audio fantasy, I prefer to go on on being alone and keep the privilege of droling and dreamimg openly on Martin Logan all day long!

I am still amaze everytime I hear about guys who seems terrorized by their spouses our girl friend about speaker placement, upgrade or whatever regards their sound systems:)
I love women but not to the point of being forced to forget about my Martin Logans.
Seriously, I live alone and sometimes it's tough but when I see all those guys who talks about WAF or the fear the have In front of their wife regarding their audio fantasy, I prefer to go on on being alone and keep the privilege of droling and dreamimg openly on Martin Logan all day long!

Amen brother!:D

It's a shame you're missing out on the mutual joy and companionship a wife can give. As with any relationship, it is about having clear bounds. I have my hobbies and my wife has hers. We compromise on a lot of things, but when it comes to stereo equipment and the listening room - "no ladies allowed" as I say (meaning the dog and I only) - it is a line that does not get crossed.

I'm married yet I don't have to put up with any WAF. I get the living room and she gets the rest of the house. Works out pretty good. :D

I can place the Vantages where they sound best, as my girlfriend likes good sound and music as well! She doesn't mind the looks at all.

The difference is . . . your Martin Logan's don't love you back! I think you must be very young to type such a silly missive. When you get older, I expect you will understand the true value of love and companionship, and learn the art of compromise. If not, I fear you will have a very lonely life. Martin Logan's sound great, but they aren't much of a conversationalist.

Rich, this September will be forty years of marriage for us. I learned the art of compromising a long time ago, it goes something like this...What's hers is hers and what's mine is hers. :D

I live alone , I prefer to go on on being alone and keep the privilege of droling and dreamimg openly on Martin Logan all day long!

Sad..................my condolences......

Contrary to the other posts here, and as a twice married person, this is the lifestyle I have chosen, however, I respect your decision to choose not to be married and the right to express your opinion. If listening to your Martin Logan's alone works for you...so be it!

Last edited:
This is why they invented listening rooms and home theaters. Designate one room to be the listening room with the priority of good sound. Putting the stereo in the living room is bound to cause issues.

As for women's views on this hobby, I think most simply don't care or get it. Just like I don't get why they need 150 pairs of shoes. I usually discuss bigger purchases with her, but last time I asked if she would be ok with me putting down a $25k bid for some speakers she said, "fine, if it makes you happy." So I guess I shouldn't complain.

Congrats on that, Steve. We hit twenty in less than a week. Going to Banff for our Anniversary!!!!

Congrats Rich, big milestone, and a great place to go celebrate. enjoy

This is why they invented listening rooms and home theaters. Designate one room to be the listening room with the priority of good sound. Putting the stereo in the living room is bound to cause issues.

As for women's views on this hobby, I think most simply don't care or get it. Just like I don't get why they need 150 pairs of shoes. I usually discuss bigger purchases with her, but last time I asked if she would be ok with me putting down a $25k bid for some speakers she said, "fine, if it makes you happy." So I guess I shouldn't complain.

Along with Invenio and others, I also prefer the dedicated spaces thing if you can swing it. Much less friction and greater freedom from compromises.

As for women, it just depends, my wife of 32 years loves the looks of the ML, and she even helps with design and construction of the acoustic treatments in the HT. She even gets why some rooms need to have some absorbent material in specific place to manage resonances and will create an artistic wall hanging to both look great and help the acoustics.
However, she could care less about all the audio gear, how it works and all that. She's perfectly happy listening to an iPod boombox if that's what's around.

It has always been thus. For the most part, women don't care too much about sports cars, boats, motorcycles, tools, guns, and a host of other things men love, just as men don't usually care too much about clothes, shoes, jewelry, makeup, and lots of other things that women love to obsess about. The simple fact is that if you want to have a happy and satisfying relationship, you learn to compromise on each others' hobbies. It really isn't that difficult, and I can't imagine giving up on having a happy, long-term relationship just out of selfishness and an unwillingness to compromise.

Never had a problem like that.Even before the dedicated room I had the stereo in the living room with the speakers positioned correctly 5 feet off the wall behind them.My wife knows I enjoy this hobby and doesn't put limitations on any aspect of it. I feel sorry for people in this hobby who are hen pecked over any purchases or need to adhere to WAF.

Never had a problem like that.Even before the dedicated room I had the stereo in the living room with the speakers positioned correctly 5 feet off the wall behind them.My wife knows I enjoy this hobby and doesn't put limitations on any aspect of it. I feel sorry for people in this hobby who are hen pecked over any purchases or need to adhere to WAF.

Amen, my Lady bought me my Maggie 1.6's I am very Lucky..........she remembers when I started this journey as a youngster.

As I mentioned in another thread, when I got married, I had ReQuests, which my wife was not thrilled with visually. After selling them and buying some B&W 804s, I just had to go back to ML! Fortunately. their newest models are less visually overwhelming. I ended up with a pair of Theos. While my wife is not thrilled with them, she has gracefully allowed them to remain! On a side note, a few weeks ago I went to a high end store that was owned by a woman! Where are these lovely creatures when we men are on the prowl?

Back