Martin Logan and rock music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I have not heard the Vantages, but if they sound anything like my Aeon-i's, they should not sound brighter than cone speakers unless the cables or the components is a bad mismatch, or placement is way off. Krell is quality stuff, so I would tend to suspect cabling or placement.

What attracted me to electrostatics was the incredible realism of sound, microdynamics, and the lack of colorations. In my ears this really shines in music like Dylan, Rickie Lee Jones, The Band, early Stones, Steely Dan or any well recorded rock band. If you want to play rock music at stadium levels, you may struggle even with the larger panels, but at sane volumes it is not an issue.

So - audition at home, making sure you get satisfying volume and bass. If you do, prepare to notice a new level of detail and production details that is usually buried in the mix on cone speakers. And the low listening fatigue will have you playing more rock music than ever before!

All the best,
Svein :)

Pink Floyd and Summits get along quite well thank you

I listen to quite a bit of Roger Waters and the boys. I also listen to alot of jazz, full scale classical music, and female folk rock. I have Summits with a Classe Audio CA 150 stereo amp (150 watts / channel) and have no problem with the system generating levels at 100DB, without "strain" or distortion. However, I must say I no longer have a need to listen that loud due to the soundstaging, quickness, transparency, and dimensionality of the Summits. I now find 90 to 92DB is plenty for rock music and much easier on my ears.

Please note that per Harry Pierson of the Absolute Sound, a full symphonic orchestra, at full peak, generally doesn't exceed 90DB. I find I hear more detail and "slam" at lower levels due to the above qualities of the Summits. Louder doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Can ML's rock. Absolutely. However, one of my favorite mottos is "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

GG

Thanks for all of the input and I think my questions have been answered, but just for the record I am not interested in loud. Sorry if I was not clear on that, my RF-7s can handle loud just fine. I want more detail and a 3D soundstage, just want to make sure that MLs sound good with electric guitar and drums, not just woodwinds and piano. But volume is not important, i have never auditioned a speaker that was not loud enough. I listen at normal levels but just listen to rock on occasion. Finally has anyone heard the Gallo 3.1s? I have a feeling that they are a bit over hyped, anyone heard them?

ML speakers are unique Qualified for Rockn' Roll music...

macallan,

ML electrostatic speakers are uniquely qualified for Rockn' Roll music listening. IMHO these three factors are something to consider; First, they sound wonderful playing any kind of music Rock especially... Second, ML's electrostatic speakers can not be over driven, which is definitely not the case with cone speakers. Third, any of the powered cone drivers paired with electrostatic panels delivers the perfect range of timber - thump and bump as well as glorious mids and high tones especially with voices. :)

In short Martin Logan speakers are the perfect hybrid speakers system. ;)

My experience with Aeons is that the recording makes all the difference. Jack Johnson seems to be tailor made for electrostats. Newer rock recordings such as Ben Harper and Widespread Panic will excite and delight. Lots of thump with rich warm distortion or lovely detail on vocals and acoustic instruments.

Clasic rock seems to be hit or miss. Have not had much luck with Zeplin CD,s. They seem to sound a bit lifeless. Not sure if it's the digital or the polarity but I really doubt it is the electrostats. Come to think of it I thought the same thing when I had Mirage speakers and a completely different set up. Maybey The Zep needs some tubes in the chain or maybe vinyl. I have noticed that hi-rez dvd-a and sacd of classic rock recordings can sound wonderful.

Just curious how Zeplin sounds on your current speakers.

You are spot on about the recordings. Unfortunately, early 70’s recordings transferred to CD’s in the 80’s are not the best sonically.
For example, early (70’s) Genesis CD’s on ATCO are pretty lifeless compared to the latest remasters of the same studio sessions. These new editions sound wonderful, with the bass back (often filtered for Vinyl) and excellent dynamic range.
So yes, looking for good recordings is something you will start doing if you get ML’s.

As to ML’s ability to rock, it is often a combination of room, gear and model that will determine how satisfied one is with their ability to rock.

It took me some years and a good bit of tweaking of many parameters, but I believe I now have a system that does all the ‘musical’ things right (and my dad was a pianist, so I know what correct in-room sound of a solo piano is), but also can rock-out with the best of the cone speakers. It just has tons more detail than any cone speaker.

What I found is that since the ESL panel plays so cleanly, and with consistent dynamics regardless of volume, that the Sub and woofer elements need to be absolutely matched to it.
I believe the new ML series (including the vantage) do this very well, specifically, the ones with powered woofers.

One reasons some people are not satisfied with ML’s as Rock speakers, is that they do not have the dynamic compression and rising distortions that many cone based speakers exhibit. The ‘tilt’ of the sound from a cone system tends to exaggerate the mid-bass elements as the volume goes up. In other words, the speaker generates its own harmonics and imparts a sonic signature that is familiar to most people who grew up listening to rock on Cerwin-Vega speakers hooked to a pioneer receiver in college

macallan said:
Thanks for all of the input and I think my questions have been answered, but just for the record I am not interested in loud. Sorry if I was not clear on that, my RF-7s can handle loud just fine. I want more detail and a 3D soundstage, just want to make sure that MLs sound good with electric guitar and drums, not just woodwinds and piano. But volume is not important, i have never auditioned a speaker that was not loud enough. I listen at normal levels but just listen to rock on occasion. Finally has anyone heard the Gallo 3.1s? I have a feeling that they are a bit over hyped, anyone heard them?

I had the opportunity,one complete WE, to compare at home on my system (#133) Gallo's 3.1 ref "old version". Definition off bass (sort of "boomy") and highs was not so accute than on the Ascent specially on classical, pop-rock was better but not so "fun" as with Ascent's. I also noticed some irritation coming on after two or three hours of listening, not such thing happens with ML's... However you must consider the different (lower) price level of the Gallo's, the quality-price ratio is much remarquable for these "little" speaker. I must add that my tastes go to classical "barok" music and rock-pop (Beatles, Wings, Roxy Music, A. Morissette and others...) Conclusion: I prefered on both types of music... the ML's ;)
Best regards
Chris

I agree with your input about the quality of Zeppelin albums, they are not the best on Klipsch either, I can't pinpoint it but it just sounds thin compared to other albums. Ben Harper is actually one of the best in this regard, the album Diamonds on the Inside is awesome and non-fatiguing. Jack Johnson always sounds good and Floyd's Live verision of the Wall is excellent as well. Sometimes vocals can sound too edgy with certain recordings and that is why I am interested in ML. Damien Rice's O is a perfect example, some songs sound awesome but some make you cringe. The popular song Blower's Daughter (from the movie Closer) sounds pretty good up to a point and then it becomes somewhat shrill (it almost sounds like he is screaming into the microphone). Is this my Klipsch being "revealing" or fatiguing? I think some of both. Norah Jones always sounds smooth as does Jack Johnson but some recordings can cause headaches.

I got the Led Zepplin box (remastered) set for Christmas and some of it sounds good and some of it is as mentioned is just plain flat sounding. I have some remastered Jimi Hendrix CD's and they are a lot better sounding than the original CD issues. How about Dave Matthews Crash CD? Anyone listen to it?

I'm going to get some of Jack Johnson's CD's a co-worker brought one of his older CD's to work and I really liked it. Of course we listened to it on the office computer! I guess it does come down to the mixing and mastering of the recording and a good system playing it back?

Last edited:
My hobby/passion/obsession/addiction (pick your adjective of choice) is going to see live music. Rock, jazz, whatever. I dont go to a lot of country (but I do like me sum fine bluegrass pickin) or opera. I have a ticketstub pile that is reaching the 400 count point.

I love the ML aeon's I have for any and all music types. I think the zep issue is that they do not hhave really audiophile masters....this is evident with any hi qual speaker. This esp goes for their live recordings and bootlegs--thier live sound can be god awful

absolutley opposite with floyd....ml's just siing with them, and Ihave some live shows off theirs that sound fabulous (the audience recording of 5/9/77 oakland is amazing for being an amateur recording)

As for JJohnson-on and on is recorded very well and is one of my favorite albums.

I would pony up for the vantages and you will hear rock and roll in all its glory----and if your tastes change and you end up being a jazz-head (as I am gradually turning to) the acoustic qualities they have will make you love them more and more.

Chris

Back