Mac Book Pro DAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
I own a 2013 non retina 13inch pro.

I use it as a source for my work/office based music system. To listen to my music files, I normally connect the Mac Book to the amplifier via the headphone socket using an interconnect with a mini phono connector on one end and a pair of rca connectors on the other.

My music system: The system is a pair of Bose Acoustimass 5's driven by a new Rega Brio R integrated amplifier. I was using a Jolida 102b until recently, but it was getting noisy, so I traded it for the Rega. BTW I first tried the Rega on my Montis speakers at home. This amp drove these speakers really well and surprised me at the level of detail it could extract to make my Montis speakers sing. The jury is out as to whether the Brio R is 'better' than my trusty Bryston B-60 - but man, the Brio R is close...

My work music is ripped via Apple Lossless onto the 500 GB hard drive of my Mac Book pro.

I've tried a couple of mini usb DACs, and to be frank, I can't hear any improvement to the sound over the Mac Book's internal DAC. The internal DAC via the headphone socket is very quiet and seems to have a lot of spaciousness and detail.

Does anyone else have opinions on the Mac Book Pro internal DAC's?

Last edited:
Have you tried a Dragonfly?

I'm sure the internal DACs are quite adequate. But the internal analogue stage and it's power supply?.......I don't think I could say the same.

I'm sure you will hear improvements with the right external USB DAC.

[seems to be the current fad - people saying they can't hear a difference] :confused:

Hi edwin, another DAC to consider is the Meridian Explorer. Based on my many years of owning Meridian gear, I'd get this one unheard, and the reviews seem to confirm it is a superior DAC for an application like yours. price is right as well.

Note that the latest builds have a much lower headphone output impedance and therefore work better driving the cans directly. But if using an amp like you are, any edition will do the trick.

MeridianExplorerDAC.png

Last edited:
While it may not be a direct comparison to what you're doing, I recently added a Mac Mini to my setup at home and before getting my Audiolab M-DAC I spent a fair amount of time listening to headphones (Sennheiser HD-580's) via the audio jack on the Mini. The sound was certainly acceptable, but nowhere near as good as when I listen now through the Audiolab's internal headphone amp. Hard to say exactly if it is because the DAC section is much better (fed via USB), or if the improvement is in the headphone amp. I will say that the headphone amp isn't as good as my ALO Continental, but it's a battery powered tube amp, so there are too many variables to make a fair comparison between the two headphone stages. Still, based on the Audiolab alone, I believe that the DAC section is significantly better. I'd recommend trying either the Dragonfly or the Meridian from Amazon (or both), and simply returning it if you don't notice a real difference. Have you tried any 24/96 AIFF files?

Amey01, no I haven't tried the Dragonfly. I've just been surfin' and I've read some great reviews about this little baby. I should have mentioned that I was trying el cheap mini usb DACs and I tried a Muse (belonging to a friend) then I bought an ELE mini usb DAC from eBay. And I certainly didn't hear any improvement, contrary to what some friends said about these little DACs. In fact I'll go as far to say the Mac Book's DAC sounded better - even through the headphone output.

So out of this I've learnt (learned?) that there's no cheap solution. I'll have to spend some dollars like on amey01's Dragonfly recommendation. JonFo I also like your Meridian Explorer suggestion, although it's more expensive than the Dragonfly, but it's got some great reviews.

MITT the Audiolab M-DAC is a great option, again we're moving up in dollars. I think the M-DAC will be more suitable for my main hi-fi system in the very near future. I've been reading the posts you guys have made on this forum on how you've been incorporating the M-DAC and similar components so you can listen to digital music files - it's a fascinating new direction I'm going to go very soon.

Regarding 24/96 AIFF files, I haven't tried these yet.

x2 on the DragonFly. Love mine.
Another option is the Schiit Modi ($99) though I haven't tried it but read some good reviews. Not sure of your price range but the Schiit Bifrost is pretty amazing and without the USB option, i.e. use Optical, it's a steal at $350. I use it with my 'HeadFi' system and love it.
If you're using iTunes, try Audirvana+ which will let you play HiRez files.

Have you tried a Dragonfly?
[seems to be the current fad - people saying they can't hear a difference] :confused:

MickyVee, the DragonFly is firming as my preferred option. I use iTunes, and I will try Audirvana. I recently changed the settings on my iTunes/iPod shuffle sync so that the shuffle now accepts Apple Lossless music files. Wow! What a difference in sound quality. The shuffle will only store 7 to 8 full length CDs which is about 5 hours of music, but the step up in quality is well worth it. I was amazed when I plugged the shuffle into my Montis system and was rewarded with really good near CD quality sound!

Just a comment on the quality of the Mac Book Pro as a stand alone play back device for a budget system - it's really quite good. Maybe some of the earlier models did suffer from hiss and related noise issues, but the 2013 models seem to fair much better in the sound quality stakes. I agree that an external DAC is the way to go for best sound quality, but I don't think the Chinese built on-line specials are a good option for the later Mac Book Pro models.

Last edited:
Wait until you try HiRez files from your MBP into something like the M-DAC feeding your Montis system. It will blow your mind!
At the moment, I'm listening to Take 5 Apple Lossless via Audirvana+/iTunes from a MacMini feeding the DragonFly into a pair of Sennheiser HD700's and it's really, really nice. As far as i'm concerned, the Mac's make for a really good source. I'm not looking back. Agreed with the MBP, the headphone out on my 2011 MacBook Air is not bad at all but I do prefer the DragonFly with something decent on the other end.
Let us know how it works out for you.

Just a comment on the quality of the Mac Book Pro as a stand alone play back device for a budget system - it's really quite good.

Don't discount the importance of the software too. I've heard good things about Audirvana, but recommend you also look into Pure Music by Channel D. Very affordable and you can download a free version to try for a few weeks to see what you think. It works great using iTunes as the GUI, but all signal processing runs through Pure Music. I've been downloading a lot of Hi Rez music lately from HD Tracks, B&W and Linn.

Edit: I just read up on Audirvana and they offer the same Free download trial of 15 days as Pure Music and is much less expensive at less than $50.00. How can you go wrong with either of these options between the low cost of admission and the opportunity to try before you buy. I can't believe how easy it is for anyone to get into state of the art computer based audio today.

Last edited:
Moderator, or Tom, could you please move this thread to 'Digital'?

Thankyou.

Thanks, danvu, MITT and MickeyVee. All good advice and suggestions. This digital thing is new to me, so I'm still learning. The Ele mini usb dac is working out okay now and a good option to start with, so I'll wait until I've finished ripping my CD collection to Apple Lossless. When I'm finished, I'm going to buy one of the better DACs you guys have been talking about.

Latest posts

Back