Looking for Sub recommendation for Theater Room with Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jouyang

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm almost done my Home Theater which is about 12ft wide x 17ft. I have a pair of Vista and a Stage center that are powered by Emotiva XPA-3. I am using the Onkyo 809 to support the other 4 in-wall speakers from Monoprice. Now, I just need a sub or maybe 2 since the Onkyo supports 7.2. The main usage for this system will probably be 99% movie and 1% music. Should I get a Martin Logan sub to match the system or any sub since it's for movies only? Should I even get 2 sub or the room is too small for 2?

TIA,
~joy

Well you wont really need the martin logan sub if your going the HT route .The lower cost martin logan subs are mostly used for there musicality .I would go for a dual epic sub or somthing from svs or hsu as they really bang out the explosions and smashes thats great fun during a movie and they are cheap too

Last edited:
I'm using 2 SVS Ultras with my Vista's and Stage and they do a great job wtih movies and music. I started with one Ultra then after a few years added the second one. I can say that adding the second one was a big improvement. However, my space is more than twice the size of yours, so maybe one was not enough for movies. Adding the second one made the bass just happen. It no longer seems like it's something generated by a speaker, now it's just there.

Using multiple subs is good, but if you are limited by budget you are probably better off getting one larger one, as opposed to two smaller ones. Two smaller ones may give a more even response through out the room, but they will be limited as to how low they can go.

Chuck

Thank you all for your response. I've nailed it down to 3 choices but still debating.

SVS PC12 Plus - it's round (btw, it seems people prefer PB version which is cube shape over round. Does cube shape sound better then round?)

HSU VTF-15H - cheaper and it can BOOM

JL Audio F110

thanks,
~joy

Well, I think that the Vistas are great speaker with tons of resolution... you should get a servo sub, like the ML Grotto i. It is great for music and also it is fun for video. Happy listening,
R.

I agree with Roberto.

Personally I dont believe that Dynamos are gear toward musical uses, partially because ML doesn't do that. They are firm believers in fidelity is fidelity, you either have it or you dont.

Sure some companies do gear their speakers toward a certain use, but ML is not one of those companies.

I have used all of the Dynamos in multiple different configurations and they always perform well. So if you would like to get a sub that doesn't carry the price of the Grotto i (which I would highly recommend for the Vistas) then check out the Dynamo subs, and the 700 and 1000 might even work better due to their ability to be hooked up wireless. Some food for thought...

Me too I use them very conservatively alot of SVS users crank em too much & love that, I believe that almost any sub properly set up & eq'd properly could sound good.
Just my opinion

Back