Long Time Owner/ Lurker - First Time Posting - Aeon i Woofer/ Driver Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppgunn

Reaction score
Hello to all my fellow Martin Logan Owners!

Recently sold: Quest Z with new + old working (panels) excellent condition 9/10
Currently Own: Aeon i, Vista, Cinema i
Sunfire Theatre Grand Pre II with Sunfire power amp (200 x 5)

I am seeking some advise from all you knowledgeable folks out here. I have been lurking around the forums for a long time but this is the first time I am actually posting.

Ideas I have:

1) When I owned the Quests I always though they had enough bass, enough for me to forgo the need to add a sub. I always thought that even if I blew the drivers I could replace the subs with JL audio W6 - W7. Would this be a problem even if you have sufficient power to drive them? I guess I am not to concerned about the driver/ woofer doing any mid's as I was running the panels as small fronts crossed over at 250 htz and the drivers/woofer as subwoofers. Has anyone tried this? Running panels as small fronts and the drivers as subwoofers? Since we do have the option to Bi-Amp. BTW I have had excellent results doings this on the Quests - Since the woofer/drivers are 12 inches (they can handle the low bass).

2) I am replacing the drivers on my Aeon i's with Dayton Audio/ JL Audio (haven't decided yet). The quote I received form ML to replace the woofer/ driver on the Aeon i was a bit more than I am willing to pay knowing there are aftermarket options. Question is does anyone have any specs for the box the Aeon i's? Things like cubic volume of the box? I called ML and they were unable to provide me these details and all they said was the speaker was 4ohms.

All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

I just got done replacing the drivers/ woofers on my Aeon i's with Dayton Audio sold on Parts Express.com. All I can say is "WoW"

Simply amazing, I never thought these drivers would blend in so well and the bass is extremely clean. The way I look at it is its like replacing the drivers with stock Martin Logan one's but better... they can handle a lot more power in the bass department, they play really low and clean.

There was no distortion what so ever! Clean, did not bleed into the mid's, kept up with the panels on all types of music. If you are using this in a smaller room say 15" x 15' there is no need for a sub! These speakers amazed me by their sound quality.

Initially, I replaced the stock driver on my Aeon i's with JL Audio W3 but I eventually blew it. The JL W3 8" was more in line with the Martin Logan stock drivers which by the way are really good. I just like to tinker with what I have and try to find ways to improve it without having to spend too much on upgrades.

If I blow the drivers on my Vista's I know what I am replacing them with. The Dayton Audio's are aluminum as well!

Toppgunn, welcome to the group, glad to hear your driver replacement worked out so well !

Back