Live Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
Last night my daughter's HS music dept. had a concert with all the vocal and instrumental groups performing. Live music once again recalibrated my perspective that recreating music in the home is but a facsimile of the absolute sound. The dynamics and explosiveness of the adv. jazz band, the concert band, the symphony, and especially the percussion ensemble were incredible. The symphony played the "Pirates of the Caribbean" theme and all I can say is wow. The PE played and staged out a piece call "Chasing Clouds" that really let you know that drums are incredibly dynamic. The choirs, especially the girls' groups were so airy and delicate that some of the pieces literally took your breath away. The kid's are all excellent musicians and give me hope that non-popular music will have a bright future.

I recommend a regular recalibration for all of us. It will put what we spend so much time and money on into perspective

Well said! Unfortunately, many public schools arts/music curriculum are falling victim to cost-cutting measures. The future of live music (and the arts, in general) hang in the balance. We should all be supporting our local LIVE music venues, and lobby hard for public schools to fully fund those endeavors. Without their survival, there won't be such performances with which to "recalibrate" our listening reference.

Great post, risabet. You do a wonderful job of describing the reasons why live unamplified music is the standard by which our systems should be judged. When you get great music performed well in the proper acoustical venue, nothing can beat it.

Well said! Unfortunately, many public schools arts/music curriculum are falling victim to cost-cutting measures. The future of live music (and the arts, in general) hang in the balance. We should all be supporting our local LIVE music venues, and lobby hard for public schools to fully fund those endeavors. Without their survival, there won't be such performances with which to "recalibrate" our listening reference.

Our district (PVPUSD) fund raising group, the Peninsula Education Foundation (PEF) raises ^ $1,000,000 a year to fund art, music and library services in the schools. The bureaucrats don't seem to understand that kids who get arts education are better students overall, have higher test scores and better life outcomes. The future of some kids lies in the balance, but it is easier to fund prisons than schools.

George, I'm thinking that maybe we can get our local Tampa contingent (and TBLS) help sponsor some live performances at the new Carrollwood Cultural Center. They have some upcoming events... http://www.carrollwoodcenter.org/Events.htm

Unfortunately I am working Sun and can't attend the Inaugural Open House, but plan to tour it ASAP.

Last edited:
Excellent reminder for all of us. We will never be able to fully recreate a live performance. The closest I have heard was a personal one-on-one demo with Ray Kimber and his monstrous ISOMIKE demo setup....those huge Soundlab speakers all around and stacks of PASS amps....it was unreal....or should I say it was real-er than any other system I have heard. But still nothing like being there. :)

Great post, risabet. You do a wonderful job of describing the reasons why live unamplified music is the standard by which our systems should be judged. When you get great music performed well in the proper acoustical venue, nothing can beat it.
Rich, your text I made bold is VERY IMPORTANT to this discussion. Just because it is LIVE music does not make it "the best" as live music can sound very good and very bad depending on the venue, the setup, and of course the performer(s).

Also a note that our systems are playing back recorded music from a live performance, so we are at the mercy of the producers and staff on what we play. And these live performances can be multiple sessions of individual musicians, and not the complete band or group performing for the recording.

Lastly, while unamplified music is "usually" very good, amplified music can also sound good too.

Rich, your text I made bold is VERY IMPORTANT to this discussion. Just because it is LIVE music does not make it "the best" as live music can sound very good and very bad depending on the venue, the setup, and of course the performer(s).

Absolutely, Dan. I think I have even made this point before in discussions about using live music as a standard by which to judge our systems.

Great post - each Wednesday and Thursday, the Queensland Conservatorium of music has great "lunchbreak" concerts for a donation - I try to get out to every one - it's fantastic. The Sydney Conservatorium had the same thing, but personally, I prefer this hall.

Just because it is LIVE music does not make it "the best" as live music can sound very good and very bad depending on the venue, the setup, and of course the performer(s).

Absolutely! - but I think we'll all agree that live music (whether bad or good) still sounds different! It's really a shame that our systems sound nothing like the real thing. As I've said before, pass any pub on a Saturday night and even my 90% deaf grandmother will be able to tell you whether it is a live band or recorded music without looking. And that is amplified live music, with the recorded music being played through the same speakers and amplifiers. Everything is the same except for recording vs. live feed.

I'm sure I've also mentioned before about my experience at a local shopping centre a few years ago. I was admiring the crappy, tinny, junky PA speakers in the ceiling - for the most amazing sound was coming from them. To my amazement - as I turned the corner - it was actually a live feed from a small quartet being fed directly into the PA system!! Something to think about for us all.

Last edited:
Back