Litz Interconnects

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I finished my most recent interconnects yesterday. This time a pair of 4 wire Litz braid orientation.

My reason for searching out different cable possibilities is to see what different wire type and insulation along with the configuration have on the sound. Buying and returning cables from companies that allow this is not an option as I need a cable that is 17' to reach one of my power amps. This length is custom and not returnable. I may end up with a commercially made cable in the end but I am hoping I can eliminate some of the designs and wires out there and hopefully find one I have built as the one I can live with. The idea of purchasing 5-6 meter cables of a high quality makes me shutter at the potential cost.

I have been using StraightWire Encore interconnects and speaker cables for 10+ years with some different equipment over that time. I would not have said there was anything specifically wrong I would have attributed to the Encore wire. This was a mid level cable from StraightWire and its construction approach was not anything out of the ordinary.

The only consistent complaint I have written about is that I hear a bit of abrasive high end during choirs or sudden peaks in sound levels. I have always attributed them to room acoustics, my deteriorating hearing and possibly a weak link in my system.

My only serious interconnect attempts previously were with Canare LV-77s 22ga. copper and Belden LC-1 25 ga. from Blue Jean Cable. Both have the same double copper braid over laid on each other. I terminated both of them with Canare RCAP-C77 RCA crimp connectors.

In comparison to the Encore both cables sounded a bit masked with less highs and slightly heavy low end. They weren't bad just not as clean and clear as the Encore cables.

After reading many articles I settled on constructing my next set from 24ga. copper with Teflon insulation from Cat 5 wire. I found a company I could buy a 500 ft roll of wire. It took a bit of searching to find a good price and only a 500 ft roll most companies sold in 1000ft rolls.

The braiding was not bad to do. It just takes patience and care to not put kinks in the wire.

The first 18' I braided I decided it was to tight when finished and set it aside and tried another that had one braid of 4 wires every 3".

The braid for the other side is only 10'. I needed 3' but didn't want to have that much difference in the two. Though I am not sure it would make a great difference.

The terminations were with Eichmann Copper Bullet plugs soldered with silver solder.

I decided to use 2 wires for the signal at each end and one wire for the ground at each end with the other for a drain connected only at the end that would be connected to the source. I don't know if using the drain would make a difference but that is what I chose to do.

I ran the new interconnects keeping them well away from any other wires since they are not shielded.

It seemed the best way to compare them was to listen to a few specific pieces of music with the Encores and then plug in the new interconnects.

There was an immediate change. My first thought was that the image of instruments and voices was smaller. As I listened through the first piece of music it appeared that the images weren't smaller but much more precise and focused.

As I listened to more music each note and sound had a much stronger attack. It was instantly there and did not linger. As though what I had been listening to had been clouded.

There was much more mids and highs with the bass a bit tighter. The vocals were much more life like in their appearance.

I played a number of pieces of music that in the past had the slight harshness I spoke of and it was not there.

I had no expectations of this much change in the sound with the cables. Were talking about $40 for the Eichmanns, $6 for wire and $5 for other parts.

I'm not sure if these are that good or the Encores were not as good as I thought.

Today I made a set of 1.5' cables for between my CDP and Pre. It too was noticeable.

If someone is interested give them a try, I would like to hear how they compare to other cables.

Attachments

• Litz braid interconnects 001 (Medium).jpg
    Litz braid interconnects 001 (Medium).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,259
  • Litz braid interconnects 003 (Medium).jpg
    Litz braid interconnects 003 (Medium).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,185
Very interesting...I have that on my too do list. I bought a 1000' roll of 5e plenum rated off of ebay for $150 for this purpose.

lugano, I have never heard of cat 7. Can you tell me how it is different from Cat 5.

I am not sure which cables you were referring to on the TNT-Audio site. They have a lot of great information.

I neglected to mention I have CLSs so no woofers as you well know. I do use a Vandersteen sub with 3- 8" drivers and its own 300 watt power supply.

So far I have not had any problem with bass lacking.

Thanks

lugano, I have never heard of cat 7. Can you tell me how it is different from Cat 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7_cable

http://www.discountcablesusa.com/ethernet-cables100.html

Not everything presented on the TNT site is to be taken as the Bible, but every bit of information one can gather is welcome, after performing some common sense filtering.

I know we are both CLS owners with no biamping, but I feel that the info we post should reach all the ML owners, and as such, if in a specific discussion we uncover elements pertaining a broader horizon, it's good thing to underline it.

Attachments

• 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,132
Last edited:
lugano or any other of you that have made your own cables.

What configuration of cables did you try? Obviously you preferred a commercial cable to any you have made for music.

I am trying to gather as much information before I make my next choice of cable design to try. What was it about your DIY interconnects and speaker cables that didn't compare with what you are using now.

I would like to try some silver but it will be a bit pricey just to see how they sound. My concern is they might be a bit bright or sterile. Of the reviews I have read it seems for every person that didn't silver another loved it. I guess on the good side at least scrap metal prices are fairly high now.

I will probably try the helix array, the crossover and the simple twist as my next options.

If any of you have tried these please let me know what you did or didn't like about them or what you might have done different.

I've tried Cat6 based cables (4 pairs of cat6 twisted together) and compared then with the John Risch Belden solution. I can honestly say that the Belden solution was crisper and the clarity was mush better than the Cat6.

BTW my system consists of Arcam AVR350 & ML Mosaics.

http://www.audiyo.com/projects.php

I would agree with you lugano about cat 5 speaker cables. I tried a set of braided cables for my CLSs with 32 wires total. The bass was noticeably diminished.

Next up was a twisted pair of solid #12 copper. They had a bit more bass and were a bit grainy. I will leave them for a week or so and see if they improve.

I ordered some 22ga. copper with cotton insulation for the next round of interconnects and some type of speaker cables. I will report back with the results good or not.

Brad,

My summer project is wires... so after I build my speaker wire, I'm going to come to you for info as to how to build interconnects. This Litz braiding business of yours is interesting!

Joey

Hey Joey, Happy B Day, It sounds like you have a good day ahead of you planed.

Any info you can use let me know. What are you going to try for speaker cables. I'm up for some suggestions.

Tarigaad liked the cross-connect coax, so that will be the next one I will try for speaker cables.

I have the BJC Belden LC-1 25ga. and Canare LV77 22ga left over from interconnects I have tried so I will give those a try and let you know.

Latest posts

Back