Kind of on fence about which ML to buy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesSpyder

Reaction score
I am kind of on the fence about which ML speakers to buy, I liked the Source's and now I am interested in the new Electro-Motions. Can not go over $2k for speakers. The price for the Sources are just under $1400 and the new Electro-Motions are going be just under $2000. I just purchased in-wall speakers a little over a year ago, I kind of want to go back to floor standing speakers and love the Martin Logans.

For $600 dollars I am wondering if there is a big difference between the two speakers. I believe both speakers are the same height. I like the look a little better of the Electro-Motion's

Also eventually i will want to get a center channel. now which center channel would work with each speaker, the Source's you will pay more for a matching center channel than the new Electro-Motions, so in the long run the package of the Electro-Motion's might be cheaper. Any thoughts. I am sorry to keep on going over this, maybe once the Electro's come out and can go look at them that will make my mind up better. Thanks everyone.

I have a new pair of Source speakers and they are awesome.

The Electro's may sound better, but unless they are a huge step forward I can't imagine that they would be worth the extra $700.

With that $700 you could find yourself a nice used Cinema center channel and have electrostats for left, right and center, would be a nice set up.

Currently I have a Motion 6 center. I've watched just a couple of movies with this set up and they sound good together. I am sure an ESL center would sound better, but I am sure any of their centers would work fine with either speaker.

Good luck.

If music has any priority, then I'd go with the biggest panel you can afford for your main pair.

Fill in the blanks as you go.

never heard them, but I am in the get the biggest panel group.
Would it be a major paradigm shift for the extra $700 - no, I am sure it wouldn't. But in 2 channel audio, most upgrades are more of a subtle thing that does not necessarily reach out and knock u over, but once u hear them, u find u couldn't live without it.
Nuance is not often cheap, but can often make a dramatic difference

Back