Interconnects and speaker Cable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flykmair

Reaction score
I need some opinions on mid priced Interconnects and Speaker cables. I was considering DH Labs SILVER SONIC BL-1 Series 2 going from a Nad T175 pre Amp to a Nad M25 Amp and using those interconnects from my Denon DVD-3930ci to the Nad pre-amp. I am considering using cardas Crosslink Bi-wire for my fronts. My system Now is sources and Motif and scripts I with depthi sub. I got the Sources and Motif already broken in as a store demo. I am returning the sources and replacing them with Vista this Friday. The sources arent clean enough in the bass area mid bass and deep bass collide sounds too boomy. I have tried the source with several amps, rotel, denon, arcam etc. I am poor so dont kill me on speaker wire and interconnects... I was going to use the Rotel RMB-1095 with a rotel pre-amp but got a killer deal on the Nads. I have been told using the dh-b1 interconnects with dh labs q-10 wire would make my Ml too bright. i was told to use the BL-1 interconnects and go with Cardas Crosslink Speaker wire. Whats does everyone think. I need 7 pairs of interconnects at 3 feet each and 2 8 ft bi-wires for vista and 8 ft single wire for Motif will wire the rears later.

So please leave me a ton of feedback asap. Thanks so Much Mike.

Update: 5-02-08 Just received my Interconnects, went with Blue Jean cable and chose the LC-1's Bought 16 cables and I am extremely happy with the results. i no longer have the exagerated high end, music is clean and tight both low and highs. i was using philips interconnects and the highs were a bit bright, and cahnging to these interconnects the highs are no longer ear piercing... lol also i changed out my Acoustic Research sub cable to a blue jeans and i actually had to lower my sub volume 2 clicks. I am using the lc-1 from my denon dvd-3930ci to my nad t175 pre-amp and from my nad t175 pre amp to my Nad M25 master series amp. Build quality is excellent and sound quality is improved as well. Thanks to everyone for their help and links to all the info to help me decide. This is a fantastic site! Best Wishes Mike

Last edited:
You want some bang for the buck?

Give signal cable a try or blue jeans cables. We have many members here that use those products and they are very happy with the service and performance.

Cables are very subjective and opinions are all over the place. You mentioned DH labs and that's a good place to start. There are also companies that sell used cables and maybe even let you audition their stuff too before you buy.

Erik

I need some opinions on mid priced Interconnects and Speaker cables. I was considering DH Labs SILVER SONIC BL-1 Series 2 going from a Nad T175 pre Amp to a Nad M25 Amp and using those interconnects from my Denon DVD-3930ci to the Nad pre-amp. I am considering using cardas Crosslink Bi-wire for my fronts. My system Now is sources and Motif and scripts I with depthi sub. I got the Sources and Motif already broken in as a store demo. I am returning the sources and replacing them with Vista this Friday. The sources arent clean enough in the bass area mid bass and deep bass collide sounds too boomy. I have tried the source with several amps, rotel, denon, arcam etc. I am poor so dont kill me on speaker wire and interconnects... I was going to use the Rotel RMB-1095 with a rotel pre-amp but got a killer deal on the Nads. I have been told using the dh-b1 interconnects with dh labs q-10 wire would make my Ml too bright. i was told to use the BL-1 interconnects and go with Cardas Crosslink Speaker wire. Whats does everyone think. I need 7 pairs of interconnects at 3 feet each and 2 8 ft bi-wires for vista and 8 ft single wire for Motif will wire the rears later.

So please leave me a ton of feedback asap. Thanks so Much Mike.

Love my DH labs stuff. I use the Revelation, BL-1 & Q-10. Go for it! Like anything else though, you will get many opinions.

I am considering using cardas Crosslink Bi-wire for my fronts. i was told to use the BL-1 interconnects and go with Cardas Crosslink Speaker wire. Whats does everyone think. I need 7 pairs of interconnects at 3 feet each and 2 8 ft bi-wires for vista and 8 ft single wire for Motif will wire the rears later. So please leave me a ton of feedback asap. Thanks so Much Mike.
The only Cardas speaker cables with low enough capacitance for electrostats are the: Cross, Twinlink, and Quadlink 5-C. They're all entry-level products. Their more expensive cables (the 'Goldens' and 'Neutrals') the Crosslink, and any of the SE-'s, will not bring out the best in stats. I don't know anything about the others you mention, but any cable you consider for use with stats should (according to Roger Sanders and a few others) have less than 30 picofarad (pF) per foot capacitance. As an example, all of Cardas' expensive cable is over 200+ pF/foot.

I have a 3 Meter pair of extremely high resolution Siltech speaker cables for sale in the Classified section. Give them some thought. Yeah, I know -- Shameless plug.

~VDR

I currently use Kimber Hero RCA and Kimber 8TC.

Anyone used Audio Art IC-3 before? From all the reviews, it looks interesting as well as another cost effective alternative.

Why don't you try some WireWorld Equinox or WireWorld Eclipse cabling? Goes well with ML's.

The only Cardas speaker cables with low enough capacitance for electrostats are the: Cross, Twinlink, and Quadlink 5-C. They're all entry-level products. Their more expensive cables (the 'Goldens' and 'Neutrals') the Crosslink, and any of the SE-'s, will not bring out the best in stats. I don't know anything about the others you mention, but any cable you consider for use with stats should (according to Roger Sanders and a few others) have less than 30 picofarad (pF) per foot capacitance. As an example, all of Cardas' expensive cable is over 200+ pF/foot.

The Blue Jeans 10-gauge 5T00UP has very low capacitance, measuring 25 pF per foot. For the $$, I'm quite happy with how they sound in my setup. However, Craig and I once compared my BJ Cables to his $$$$ Audience Au24 cables, and (in his setup) the Audience sounded better. If he'll loan them to me someday (;)), I'd like to see if I can replicate the improvement in my system.

Audio metallurgy GA-0 ICs are fantastic and cheap you usually can pick up a pair for $150-$200 at auction on the gon.

I just want to Clarify this info. Do both the IC's and the Speakers wire need to be below 30 PF/ft or can the IC's be anything you want?

I just want to Clarify this info. Do both the IC's and the Speakers wire need to be below 30 PF/ft or can the IC's be anything you want?
My comments on capacitance had to do with spkr cable driving only an electrostatic load (i.e. not driving a hybrid) They're made using Belden 8237 coax, so if you can find some in short lengths (not 100' spools!) you can make your own for just a few bucks ;--) Roger Sanders gives a pretty good explanation here: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/Cables%20WP.htm

IC's however cannot be anything you want, and designers are very careful about controlling capacitance and inductance, but for other reasons. Roger has his own ideas about those too ;--)

electrons cascading +/- their orbitals and pushing their neighbors along is rocket science:bowdown:...cables are not ...I have the DH silver sonic from ACI...love them but could not sonically hear any difference versus Parts Express generic! IMHO if you are going to pay extra $ for wire at least run the same brand of wire between a componets of your system.

Back