I'm not sure I love my Stage...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I was not talking about just the angle of the Stage. All your speakers look a bit too packed in. I would guess they could use a little breathing room.

Anyway, there is a lot of work you can do on placement before you can really know what is what with your MLs.

The Stage is newer, but this isn't a setup I've thrown together haphazardly, I've been tweaking it for a good 9 months or so now.
That's not to say I'm giving up... I'm going to continue to try to improve it, of course.

However, my home isn't very large, not everyone has a big dedicated listening room - plus, as I've previously indicated, I'm very satisfied with the sound I'm getting from the Spires.

Martin Logan doesn't say not to place the Stage on a wall, and all it says is to tilt it directly towards the listener's ears. That's exactly what I did.

Unfortunately, most manufacturer's manuals (including ML's) have only the most basic setup information to guide you, and it is designed more to provide versatility for different setups rather than optimum sound quality. Sometimes they are more focused on appeal to the widest audience than achieving the best sound quality. Case in point: adjustable spikes that allow you to adjust the rake angle of the panel on the newer speakers. ML didn't provide this on the Summit when it came out. But after Jason on this site started providing longer rear spikes and we all realized that a vertical rake on these speakers provided better sound, ML learned from us and finally adopted this strategy on the Summit X. It is great that they realized this need and came around, but it just showed that you can't always rely on what the manufacturer says and does in order to get the best sound.

An audiophile seeking the best sound must have an understanding of sound wave physics and (for ML's) dipole speaker radiation patterns in order to tweak their setup to sound its best. To someone who understands those things, it is clear that the center channel needs to be on a similar plane and angle as the main speakers to achieve some coherence of sound. Also, things like distance from the wall behind it and absorption vs. diffusion vs. flat wall make a huge difference in the quality of the sound, especially with a dipole speaker.

In other words, simply because ML doesn't say not to place the Stage on the wall, or because they give you the option of placing it high or low and angling it toward the listener, doesn't mean that doing so will give you the best (or even adequate) sound. They are trying to provide the most versatility for different setups. But these extreme setup options definitely compromise sound quality.

My suggestion is that before you worry about purchasing a new TV, remove your current TV and bring the Stage down to rest where your TV currently sits, just below ear level and angled slightly up like your Spires, and just see if you get a better sound. The simple fact is that speaker setup requires a lot of trial and error to find the best positions and angles for proper sound. If you do find an improvement, then you have an idea of the direction you need to move in your setup.

Last edited:
you know I started out with my speakers adjusted the way they came then I raked them forward I enjoyed this for a will but after much listening I found it a bit foreword for me so I adjusted them back I think martin logan had it set well out of the box I know there is in between settings but for now they sound great with them set the way they come from the factory basically the box level with the ground

Fish, it is true that it really depends on the particular room, setup, and personal tastes of the listener. I find that in my system, the vertical rake has a better soundstage, imaging, and clearer details than the backward rake. It doesn't sound forward at all.

I think the backward rake was a compromise for the shorter height of the newer speakers, so that you don't totally lose the sound when you stand up. None of ML's earlier speakers had such a rake. I do think it has a negative impact on the sound, personally.

Ultimately, though, my point was that whatever tilt your main panels are set at, your center channel needs to be aligned similarly or you will have a mismatch in sound.

Hello,
I have had my Stage now for approximately a year and have it placed below and in front of my BDI Deploy Max rack to good effect. It replaced a Cinema i, which actually was placed inside of the rack, but at a much closer level to the display.

Even with Audyissey, which helped greatly, having the speaker out in space even though on the floor, angled up, sounds much better to all who have listened compared to the Cinema which was directly below. Obviously, the Stage is a bit bigger, much more expensive, and newer.
ML

Back