Humming Sound C18

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is how all fiber optic HDMI cables are made, but all of mine have 4 Fiber cores and the rest are Copper cores. So they are not 100% fiber optic cores. The generic image below shows a pretty typical construction with the optical fiber cores in the middle of the cable.
61qYa57vxHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Looks like there is a mechanical protection layer made of possible alu in this one. And there are surely many kinds around. Mine looks like this - surely no metal. The mechanical protection is plastic of some kind. It is about 50m to the box in the road.

20230919_185135.jpg

You can read more about the anatomy here:
https://blog.biamp.com/anatomy-of-a-ca

Last edited:
Looks like there is a mechanical protection layer made of possible alu in this one. And there are surely many kinds around. Mine looks like this - surely no metal. The mechanical protection is plastic of some kind. It is about 50m to the box in the road.

View attachment 24553

I'm only showing what a HDMI Fiber Optic cable is like. Other technologies are quite different. Telecom is probably 100% fiber for the cores that carry data, and then however the jacket is constructed, so, no copper would be carrying any signals.

And, you're pretty lucky to have FO at your house! My neighborhood has been undergoing re-cabling for years, but still can't get FO at my house in particular. It's all over the area, but when I check with any of the telecom companies that offer it for internet, I'm told it's not available.

I was carried away with the lightning mentioned - trust we're ahead with FO here. I was far from first mover when available 2008, but had my 1000/1000 connection since 2014. Sorry for you. Back to HDMI I have no optical cables but a toslink, so I have no experience (but also no hum)

That's my thought too. Would a fiber cable even be susceptible to an electromagnetic field?
Years ago we had a lightning bolt take out our neighbor's tree. I think the surge entered our home through the cable line because it fried my pc's internet portion of the motherboard. I plugged in a network card and then it was fine. A few years later the cable company ran fiber in our neighborhood, and so now its all fiber here. I'm thinking, lightning probably can't travel through the fiber?
Lightning can do some strange things, just from the huge voltages and currents involved, and induced electromagnetic fields therefrom. But, yeah, travel through a fiber cable is pretty much out. And good call on the lightning surge blowing out the NIC on your MB. A NIC is actually transformer isolated (each incoming twisted pair, believe it or not), but a high DI/dt could easily take it out.

View attachment 24553

I am highly skeptical about Bell transmitting voice over a light beam with what he had in 1880. Photovoltaic cells were just being discovered in that decade, and there were no means of amplifying the tiny signals from them. Modulating a light beam to be picked up by it would have been another trick. Bell may have been brilliant, but he didn't even have a carbon microphone--that would come later. What is this blogger's source?

Back