If not ML...what other speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad.....very nice....very exspensive ! ....45k

Ouch, I had no idea they were that expensive. That clearly makes me much happier with my CLS's. Getting to build my listening room is one thing. I won't even think of suggesting new speaks in the near feature.

I was in a show room in N.C. and listened to the Quatros with ARC gear, CLX's with Mac gear and Wilson Maxx III with ARC and I would have easily have taken the Quatros over the others regardless of price. I would like to hear the CLX's with the ARC (which they offered to do) when I get back up there next month. Though the source for the Quatro's was vinyl and the others were digital hmmmmmm.

Glen, again @ 45k they are in with some very exspensive comapny. the pre-production pair I listened to @ RMAF (driven by ARC gear) while very nice would not be on my 'short list' at that price point, but again they were literally put together just prior to the show and is suspect further tweaking and 'run-in' time will yield even better results.

Interesting. Now that you mentioned that it seems like I saw where you posted this before in another thread and I forgot about it. Hopefully my local dealer will one day get a pair in for demo. But of course if I were actually spending my own money I too would have very discriminating tastes before plopping down 45k. For now I will just dream about his 5A's which sound amazing if I could afford more than his Quatro's which are truly a great speaker in their own right.

I have rolled literally dozens of speakers through my system over the years. When I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, I built them. Well actually went through a few iterations to hit it spot on. The drivers are JBL 2235H woofers, Altec 802-8G driver mounted to Altec 511B horns and JBL 077 slot tweeters.

livingroom052509.jpg

I have listened to these for three years now. This past week I finally took the drives out to veneer them. Here are the cabinets waiting for the high gloss finish.

w41.jpg

Those look great. Looks like Lacewood? With topcoat they should look stunning. Any more pics?

GamuT S-7's or S-9's (S9's on the way from Denmark, so I may get my wish yet this year)

The YG Acoustics Anat Studio II's

FOCAL Scala Utopia

Magnepan 20.1

Harbeth Monitor 40.1's

:bowdown: OK...but what about a "Budget" speaker? I've read the great reviews of the PSB Synchrony line, but haven't heard them yet. I was impressed with the PSB Gold i's before I bought my first pair of MLs. Anyone with any experience?

:bowdown: OK...but what about a "Budget" speaker? I've read the great reviews of the PSB Synchrony line, but haven't heard them yet. I was impressed with the PSB Gold i's before I bought my first pair of MLs. Anyone with any experience?

See my post (#4) for the contenders (the only ones) when I bought my latest MLs (Vistas).

Hello,
If I were to switch speakers, it would be for either Thiel CS 2.4's or Dynaudio
Confidence range speakers.
Cheers,
ML

I'm a fan of ESS speakers with the smaller Heil's for my HT setup and use the ML's for straight stereo.

Here is my speaker that took me about 1 year to complete. It uses a ribbon tweeter, Accuton Mid and Scan Speak woofer. Fully passive crossover and single amp, bi amp or tri amp capability.

Paint is next!

Attachments

• DSC_0625 (402 x 600).jpg
    DSC_0625 (402 x 600).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 508
Glen, again @ 45k they are in with some very exspensive comapny. the pre-production pair I listened to @ RMAF (driven by ARC gear) while very nice would not be on my 'short list' at that price point, but again they were literally put together just prior to the show and is suspect further tweaking and 'run-in' time will yield even better results.

Nope, they had a run in pair at CES and they sounded just as bright and forward. I'd take a pair of Vandersteen 5's in a heartbeat over the new 7's.

I have a pair of Vandersteen 2CE's that have something special to them. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to any of the higher end Vandy's, but if the higher end is as interesting as the 2CE's are, it might be tempting.

Gordon

Try the 5's I bet you would really like them!

Jeff, I was very impressed with the 2CE. I bought these on a lark and when I popped them in the system, I was frankly stunned. Had I not heard and enjoyed the ML as much as I do, these "could" have found a place in the house. Maybe not in the main system but perhaps the bedroom since I thought they were just a bit veiled and overly warm. (Rest of my gear could be the culprit)

The 5's seem to have an involved setup procedure which I'm not sure I'm capable of accomplishing in a proper manner from what I've been able to read. I obviously have some reading to do, as I'm not all that versed in the outboard crossover required.

Gordon

Joseph Audio Pearl

If i could afford them it would be the Joseph Audio Pearl....

Attachments

• Pearla.jpg
    Pearla.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 496
Nope, they had a run in pair at CES and they sounded just as bright and forward. I'd take a pair of Vandersteen 5's in a heartbeat over the new 7's.

Jeff, Richard Vanderstein told both Robert Harley and myself that they were still 'fiddling with drivers' so I suspect there is still some tweaking going on.

Jeff, Richard Vanderstein told both Robert Harley and myself that they were still 'fiddling with drivers' so I suspect there is still some tweaking going on.

that's what a mfr will always say when the product sounds like crap.

that's what a mfr will always say when the product sounds like crap.

therefore if a 45k speaker sounds like crap (it didn't, that's somewhat overboard) it only makes sense that one needs to 'fiddle some more' !!

Regardless, I won't be buying a pair anytime soon.

Jeff, I was very impressed with the 2CE. I bought these on a lark and when I popped them in the system, I was frankly stunned. Had I not heard and enjoyed the ML as much as I do, these "could" have found a place in the house. Maybe not in the main system but perhaps the bedroom since I thought they were just a bit veiled and overly warm. (Rest of my gear could be the culprit)

The 5's seem to have an involved setup procedure which I'm not sure I'm capable of accomplishing in a proper manner from what I've been able to read. I obviously have some reading to do, as I'm not all that versed in the outboard crossover required.

Gordon

FWIW, I think 2CEs are ace - so I agree wholeheartedly. Haven't heard a pair in a good long while, though. But the memory is still there - which is always a good sign:)

At the moment, I'm gambling on unheard updated Duetta Sigs, as most around here will know... better x-over components and ribbons should make them a bit better than the originals. If it turns out I don't like them, I'm sure somebody else will.

Could probably live with these. Let's stress this is what I would actually spend money on. But there is a big difference between what I could afford to spend and what I will actually spend, when it comes to the crunch. At the end of the day, it's only hi-fi:)

Dynamic:
The Vandersteen 2CEs:D
Linn Isobariks.
Some of the old Snells - type Js and Es.
A couple of the more affordable Gamut models.
Living Voice OBXs. This would be my top of the list dynamic speaker that doesn't cost silly dosh.

Panels:
Quad 2905, but only if they work as well as the last setup I heard them in! Never been that impressed with them, to be honest.
Quad ESL 57 fully restored (bye bye bass).
Analysis Omega, 2nd hand only. Silly money new.
Soundlabs - not heard for decades, though. Can't remember the model. Would have to be 2nd hand again.

Last edited:
Back