How to know what kind of circuit you might need to power your equipment?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

Robert D

Reaction score
Thinking about what I might run into if I replace my subwoofer I have now with a more powerful one. I now have my home theater just set up in the family room. Right now I am using a ML Depth i. Just one. I also am running my Aragon dual channel amp (200 watts at 8 ohms each channel), my Marantz receiver that is 11 channel, the tv, bluray, sonos, 2 Prodigy speakers, cable box, and God knows what else on it. Right now the circuit seems fine.

Wondering about that regular 15 amp circuit. Im pretty sure the whole room is just running off of one 15 amp circuit. Looking at the breaker box I see what looks like just one breaker.

The Depth i I am using now is only 350 watts. What if I went to the Balanced force 212 which is 1700 watts https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/balancedforce-212 , or maybe this Monolith M 215 that is 2000 watts Monolith by Monoprice M-215 Dual 15" THX Ultra Certified 2000-Watt Powered Subwoofer - Monoprice.com

I wonder if just that one circuit would be safe and/ or not trip. Ive got multiple power outlets on the wall by the home theater setup, but of course those are all in the same circuit since they are in the same room id assume? I had the house built but at the time I didnt consider such things, wish I had. I dont want to think about the trouble and expense it would take to run a new 20 amp outlet up to that room. The breaker box is of course in the basement and half of the basement is finished, so running the wire would be terribly difficult without tearing up drywall I think.

I know there is a formula Voltage x Current = Watts. So a 15 amp circuit should handle up to 1800 watts. Is it as simple as looking at the RMS wattage of the amplifier on the subwoofer? The monolith is 2000 watts RMS but 3600 peak. Is it a simple 1:1 ratio of the rated power of the amp to watts supplied by the circuit? Going by that then the sub wouldnt be safe to run just by itself on a single 15 amp circuit. I see on the website that people are indeed running it on those circuits just fine. I would guess that those people have other things running of that circuit as well, like me. It just sounds a bit risky. Trying to figure out what will be the case before I buy something.

roberto

Reaction score
Robert,

That's why I use a 30A breaker to supply the energy to my room, and also have a 20A balanced AC Line Conditioner (BPT Singnature 3.5 Plus). I do not play my system too loud, but if I want to be a show off of its power, I cranked up for some time, having only crystal clear sound, even that it is evident the I am playing the system very loud.

My system with this Power Line Conditioner, does not compress the sound at all. I also have a separated copper welding rod for my AC circuit. Costa Rican energy is not too clean, so using a balanced line conditioner solved my problem: clean AC to power my system.

Our Mains AC line is same as yours, 120 V.AC. Our wall socket is the same, one hot 120V line, one neutral and ground. The balanced line conditioner uses 2 hot lines and the center is ground. This unit has a big toroidal transformer, the unit weights about 80 pounds, and here is the wiring:

1599567853908.png

There are other Balanced AC Line Conditioners that offers about the same 20A. It is wise to have more energy reserved of the total power consumption of the system.

When I use this BPT for the first time, my ears were so happy, that I was rediscovering all my music.

Happy listening!

spkrdctr

Reaction score
Robert D, you can easily have an electrician run a second line to where you plug in your gear. This would give you a 20 amp line on top of your current 15 amp line. It would have its own breaker and wall plug. It would look professional too. Then you can just plug different gear into whichever plug you want. At the audiophile level you are talking about a second line is really an easy permanent fix. I say go for it!

Robert D

Reaction score
Robert D, you can easily have an electrician run a second line to where you plug in your gear. This would give you a 20 amp line on top of your current 15 amp line. It would have its own breaker and wall plug. It would look professional too. Then you can just plug different gear into whichever plug you want. At the audiophile level you are talking about a second line is really an easy permanent fix. I say go for it!
Only problem is the breaker box is in the finished portion of the basement, and to get to the area under the family room requires going through the finished part. Afraid the ceiling and walls would have to get cut out and then patched. Would be an expensive job.

I'm hoping to sell the house in about 2 years and build a new one. Hate to spend more on this house considering the buyers wouldn't care about the extra outlet and pay more.

There is an area in the ceiling running toward the box that has the steel support ,and maybe the wire could be fed down along that. Could mean not much cutting of drywall.