High Rez Audio Blu-Ray Player Recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Blu-Ray player and would like to know if anyone can recommend a current model that plays the high-rez formats without requiring the Pre-Pro or Receiver to do the decoding. Do these newer models process the HD Audio sound internally and send it out in the 5.1 analog rca output?

I'm willing to pay more for a better unit and would rather not have to upgrade my pre-pro one with the latest HDMI unless that's required to get the high-rez audio out of a BR Player.

i could be wrong, but i think that all Blu-Ray player appliances have 5.1 outs as a part of the specs to be able to deliver the full bitstream true dolby soundtrack.

I haven't had time to do my homework on the latest Blu-Ray features and HDMI software releases so I have no clue. I'm sure there are some on this forum who are. If the BR players are outputting the high res sound in 5.1 then that makes things much easier.

Might wanna sit on the sidelines a bit longer, as I'm sure there will be a LOT of higher-end Blu Ray players entering the market soon. Although Blu Ray playback will be backward compatible on older players, only the newest players will support d/l updates ("BD Live") and the full feature set. I'm also waiting to see if Blu Ray Audio might develop some momentum.

A lot of folks are waiting for the Sony BD-S550, BD-S350, and the Panasonic BD-50 players. Sony 550 does the analog out of 5.1 (7.1?), not sure on the Panasonic.

The websites show that they decode the audio formats but put them out to an HDMI 1.3 cable and are not clear about what comes out on the analog cables. I don't think there are too many pre-pros yet that are decoding the full HDMI 1.3 format or are there?

Last edited:
Might wanna sit on the sidelines a bit longer, as I'm sure there will be a LOT of higher-end Blu Ray players entering the market soon. Although Blu Ray playback will be backward compatible on older players, only the newest players will support d/l updates ("BD Live") and the full feature set. I'm also waiting to see if Blu Ray Audio might develop some momentum.

That's good advice, as several new profile 2.0 players are coming to market in the next few months.
As noted the Sony and Panasonic BD50 will be worth looking into.

As for audio profile, that would mean looking for a profile 3.0 player, which I've not heard of anyone announcing ship dates for that

The BD profiles are:

1.1 Bonus View (PiP)-Final Standard
2.0 Live (Internet connectivity and features)
3.0 Audio only playback support (no TV required to navigate)

The websites show that decode the audio formats but put them out to an HDMI 1.3 cable and are not clear about what comes out on the analog cables. I don't think there are too many pre-pros yet that are decoding the full HDMI 1.3 format or are there?

Craig, most of these players with 5.1/7.1 outputs (like the Denon DVD3800) handle the HighDef codecs. But be careful, some HD audio codecs are not decoded in-player, it depends on the model, so shop carefully.

Not many pre-pro's handle bitstreamed, un-decoded highrez formats (e.g. DolbyTruHD, DTS-HD MA). Right now, the only one to seriously consider is the Denon AVP-A1HDci.

Another thing to consider if getting a player with analog outs for the high-rez audio is how are you going to control the volume? Do you have a multichannel pre-amp with a spare set of analog ins?

Craig, most of these players with 5.1/7.1 outputs (like the Denon DVD3800) handle the HighDef codecs. But be careful, some HD audio codecs are not decoded in-player, it depends on the model, so shop carefully.......

For the moment, the only player which decodes the lossless codecs (DTS HD MA/TrueHD) and outputs via multi-channel analog is the Denon DVD 3800BDCI. There are other players upcoming which will do this e.g. Sony BDP-S550, Panasonic DMP-BD50.

I have the Pioneer BDP-95FD and I use it with HDMI to my receiver. My receiver doesn't decode DTS-MA or DDTrue-HD. It is just a Yammy RX-V2700. So far everything works and sounds great. I am waiting for a good processor to upgrade to from the Yammy but for now it works. Also the player has the option for Audio Out (5.1).

Couldn't wait!

Using a Panasonic BD 30 into a Denon 3808CI. I am very impressed with the new codecs. Cleaner and with more resolution and better dymanics. Did a comparison last night listening to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at Radio city music hall. Pretty cool, you can switch back and forth between DD 640kbs or DD Tru HD while viewing the video.:bowdown:

Back