Hello from the Centre of Canada

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooey57

Reaction score
Thought I'd take a minute and say hello from the home of the Jets, Winnipeg, Canada.
I'm a relative newby when it comes to 2 channel music and more specifically, Martin Logan speakers.

However, it appears that a set of beautiful Ascent i speakers will be coming my way in the very near future from a fellow I know that has owned them since new but has had them in storage for the past 9 years!

I've heard the Ascent's and I was absolutely blown away. Very different sound than my Paradigm Studio setup in my home theatre.

However, there is one small problem... there is static sound coming from both speakers when playing music, although much more noticeable in one.

I connected with an ML technical rep and said that the static was understandable due to the speakers being stored for so long.
He's suggested I power down the speakers and give them a thorough vacuuming and dusting.

Oh and I should mention, the current owner is a smoker. Would that contribute?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks and I look forward to reading all about the ML's.

Doo, welcome aboard, I owned a few, Ski-doo's that is, over the years !

smoke and electrostatics do not go well together. Be sure that is recognized in your negotiated price. Depending on condition when they were put in storage new panels could on the horizon sooner rather than later..............

Welcome from a fellow Canuck to another. I also used to have Paradigm speakers and upgraded to ML. Hands down, there is no comparison between the two. As Dave has mentioned, I hope you can get a fair deal and start re-discovering your music. Do tell us about your upstream gear as they are going to be a key factor in the overall sound. ML stats are notoriously revealing of your electronics.

Like previously stated, smoke can cling to the ESL's diaphragm and I don't think vacuuming will remove this. You'd have to wash them in the shower. Unless you can get them for a great price, I'd steer clear. Ascents are very nice, though... A little more difficult to drive than the newer ML's that have powered woofers build in.... What amp would you be using with them?

First and foremost, I believe I can purchase these Ascent i's at a great price. I listened to them at the owners home and I was very impressed.
I've now brought them home to test out (big horkin' speakers!) and upon detailed inspection using a led light, I've discovered a few pin prick size holes in the diaphragms of both speakers. Will these small holes render the ML's useless?

Secondly, I was going to just use my new Yamaha RX-V685 receiver to test them before integrating them into my main system which uses an Emotiva XPA-5 amp at 200 wpc.

Here's a picture of one of the holes... you can also see the dis-colouration from the smoke.

Thoughts?
IMG_1693.jpg

Hola Dooey57.

The only way to repair the holes is changing the stat panel. But it is only cosmetic and does not affect the performance. This is what Martin Logan says about the holes: Our research department has literally punctured hundreds
of holes in a diaphragm, neither affecting the quality of the sound nor causing the diaphragm to rip. However, you will be able to see the actual puncture and it can be a physical nuisance. If this is the case, replacing the electrostatic transducer will be the only solution.

If you can live with the punctured hole, then you have no problem. Ask the owner for a better discount. Also, you have to be aware that the stat panels are not cheap. But if you buy from the factory, you have 5 year warranty. Listen to them carefully and take your decision. Those are great sounding speakers!

Happy listening!

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Now for some critical listening... after I get some of the smoke smell out.
I guess only washing the panels will get rid of the brown stains?

Yes, but do not use any detergent or chemicals. There is a coat of metal (you don't see it) that makes the plastic diaphragm to be conductive. This is done with a vapor deposited with a special adhesive at atomic level. The diaphragm that you see there, weights less than the air that it moves. It is so light, and responsable of the purest sound available only on the electrostatic technology. The Ascent model is very similar as the Request model showed in the washing procedure. Here is the link for it:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~t...n Logan Quest Stator Panel Shower Washing.pdf

Happy listening!

Now that owners have been washing their panels for a few years, how are the risks for an older model like the Ascent i's? (Using warm water and no detergents)
Also, where is the electrical connection on my model? The grill is always off the bottom section and I don't see anything.

I guess what I'm asking is with the amount of smoke the speakers have been exposed to, has the sound quality been affected and will washing away the dirt help?

Badly worded question, I hope you know what I'm asking.

Thanks.

Usually doing the washing procedure, you might restore the panels at a 90% of their potencial. But I can not assure to you any success. Being the panels exposed to a heavy smoke, the tar will be sticked, producing weight and smell, with the bad look. If you can afford new panels, this is the way to go. Just tell your seller the risk and you could pay for one new panel and the seller pay the other...just thinking loud. The other possibility is do not get the speakers, and wait for another used pair in better condition.

My 2 cents,
Happy listening!

Back