Have Aerius, what receiver/component to get? New owner, please advise!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dyazdani said:
Wow, that should make things sing now!

You are most likely going to want a sub for HT use.

It would probably be easier to sell the Omnisats and the sub together wouldn't it? I'm not familiar with that sub as far as using it with the Aerius.

I'm thinking about selling individual speakers on eBay... I don't think Mirage Omnisats quite qualify for Audiogon haha. I'll keep the sub for now and see how they match up.

Hopefully the Onkyo TX-SR803 + some amps + a pair Aerius + BlueJeans Cables > Onkyo TX-SR600 + 5.1 Mirage + Monster cables!!!

So now amps... Monoblocks for each speaker/sub? Or just get a multichannel one... Considering Rotel, Outlaw, anything else around $300-400 per channel that's good?

Last edited:
Yang1815 said:
I don't think Mirage Omnisats quite qualify for Audiogon haha. I'll keep the sub for now and see how they match up.

Mirage Omnistats for sale on Audiogon right now..

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1138306411

Not much for them, but something is better than nothing. Post to Ebay too and take the best price you can get.

I agree on the sub for HT...again something instead of nothing. Buy better later.

Dan

A couple ways you could go with the amps...

Sub: most are self powered, so I won't cover this one.

Aerius: You haven't given a time as to when you might add a center or surround speakers so I'll just put down a couple of options.

1) Go with a higher-end 2 channel amp or monos for the Aerius now. When you add the rest, you can use the receiver to power them or buy additional amplification at that time. This might be a good choice if you would like to have a high percentage of 2 channel (music) listening vs. HT.

2) Anticipating the addition of a center, buy a good 3ch amp now. That way when you add a center, the same amp powers the front 3 (IMHO most inportant) speakers. Your surrounds would then be powered by the receiver.

3) Just go with a 5+ multichannel amp and have it power everything.

Yang1815 said:
So now amps... Monoblocks for each speaker/sub? Or just get a multichannel one... Considering Rotel, Outlaw, anything else around $300-400 per channel that's good?
Lots of choices, here are some examples: Classe' CA100 for around $600 each (100wpc). Aragon 8008ST for around $750. Parasound amps can be had also for around $500. Bryston 3B & 4B (non-sst) models going around $750 each. Monarchy Audio are good amps, but they are just a tad bit out of your price range of $400 per channel. Good luck

Spike

Spike said:
Lots of choices, here are some examples: Classe' CA100 for around $600 each (100wpc). Aragon 8008ST for around $750. Parasound amps can be had also for around $500. Bryston 3B & 4B (non-sst) models going around $750 each. Monarchy Audio are good amps, but they are just a tad bit out of your price range of $400 per channel. Good luck

Spike

Thanks! I did some brieft searching on Audiogon and eBay and I'll continue doing that before I make a decision. The thing is that I don't know much about what a reputable brand is and the specs all look pretty similar that's why it's taking awhile. Still considering Rotel and Outlaw...

Yeah, the specs aren't going to tell you a whole lot. Let us know when you find a few options that interest you.

Yang1815 said:
The thing is that I don't know much about what a reputable brand is and the specs all look pretty similar that's why it's taking awhile. Still considering Rotel and Outlaw...
Of the ones on the list, for musicality, I'd put Monarchy on the top (but it's a bit outside your range). Aragon, Bryston & Classe' are in the same group with different sound characteristics. I've had the Classe' driving my ReQuests full-range and was very happy with the combination in its laid-back presentation and smooth midrange. Bass is a bit "loose" and not as snappy as Krell or Bryston. Bryston (non-SST series) and Aragon have a bit more energy on the top-end (extended highs) and more bass control, but the Classe' has more liquid mids. I also helped a friend of mine put together a very musical system consisting of ML CLS IIz, and Aragon 8008BB. In my opinions, Parasound & Rotel are in the 3rd group, giving lots of value for the money. The others mentioned before offer a bit more finesse when it comes to musicality.

Spike

dyazdani said:
Yeah, the specs aren't going to tell you a whole lot. Let us know when you find a few options that interest you.

Thanks Dan and Spike! Here we go... Well, so I like extended high's to tell you the truth. Would that make some amps jump out from your head for suggestions?

In addition, after browsing through the whole 700 some listing on audiogon under solidstate amps, I have found Anthem MCA-2, Anthem Amp 2, and Parasound HCA-1500A that I am interested in. The Amp 2 is about $300 more. Would it be worth it?

Spike, I looked at the Bryston and Aragon amps since you said they have extended high's to my taste but there aren't that many on audiogon. In addition, I'm not too crazy about the design of the Bryston amps...

Lastly, after looking at amps, I have second thoughts on getting the Onkyo as pre/pro... Anything you'd suggest under $1,000? So sorry I seem not able to make up my mind. It's just that I would like to pick one and that's it.

Are you asking about a dedicated pre/pro, or you still want to get a receiver?

dyazdani said:
Are you asking about a dedicated pre/pro, or you still want to get a receiver?

I think dedicated pre/pro. I just think that the amps I'm looking at combined with the Aerius are in a "higher level" than the Onkyo's, don't you think?

So any advice on the amps? Anthem MCA-2, Amp2 SE, or Parasound HCA-1500A?

Yang1815 said:
I think dedicated pre/pro. I just think that the amps I'm looking at combined with the Aerius are in a "higher level" than the Onkyo's, don't you think?

So any advice on the amps? Anthem MCA-2, Amp2 SE, or Parasound HCA-1500A?

I agree that you should try to get a dedicated pre/pro if possible.

For $1000 there are several "older" 5.1 pre/pros out there that are very good.
  • B&K Ref 50
  • Classe SSP25, SSP30, SSP50 (I have a 25)
  • Proceed AVP
  • Krell HTS (Original)
  • Theta Casanova

I've never tried any of those amps with MLs. I was going to buy the Anthem, but a dealer friend I have suggested an Audio Refinement (he is an Anthem dealer as well). I'm very happy with it, but I haven't a/b'd the two.

dyazdani said:
  • B&K Ref 50
  • Proceed AVP
  • Krell HTS (Original)
  • Theta Casanova
I got a demo Rotel 1066 processor for a little over a grand last year. Perhaps you can find a deal on a 1067, they seem to update/upgrade these units every couple of years.

That's true, I was going to add the Rotel to the list, but I could only find a 1098 used and it was a little higher. Didn't have time to search further.

And an older Meridian

dyazdani said:
  • B&K Ref 50
  • Proceed AVP
  • Krell HTS (Original)
  • Theta Casanova
I'd add the Meridian 565 on the list as well. It's an older processor but an excellent on in its own right. Very musical for 2-channel audio as well. I have one as dedicated processor in my system and can vouch for its versatility & musicality. In my system, the Meridian takes a back seat only to a high-end dedicated (tubed) stereo preamp for audio, but only if one listens to them in a side-by-side comparison.

Spike

For the amps, so far I've found:

Anthem MCA-2, Anthem Amp 2 Special Edition, Parasound HCA-1500A, and Rotel 1080

any suggestions?

Last edited:
Okay, I'm leaning towards using a Denon 3806 as a pre/pro because the remote just looks so cool!!! I cancelled the Onkyo order. It'll be either the Denon or some pre/pro suggested by dyazdani/Spike. However I do not think I'm interested in the Proceed AVP, Meridian 565, and the Theta.

For amps, it's down to Anthem Amp 2 Special Edition, Parasound HCA-1500A, and Rotel 1080. Anthem is $100 more than Rotel, and $300 more than Parasound, is it worth the difference? Keep in mind that it is a hybrid amp where as the other two are solidstates.

Last edited:
Okay it's done.

Here's what I got:
Aerius
Denon 3806
Anthem AMP 2 Special Edition
BlueJeans bi-wire speaker cables and IC's

I'll post in the Members Systems when they all come in.

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed to this thread and help me make decisions on the equipments.

Congrats!

Yang1815 said:
Okay it's done.

Here's what I got:
Aerius
Denon 3806

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed to this thread and help me make decisions on the equipments.
Having no direct experience with the Anthem, but if their reputation is of any indication, you're in for a real treat. Especially with the tubes in the driver stage of the hybrid AMP2. Next stop: a 2-channel tubed preamp to complete the transformation ;)

Spike

Yang1815 said:
Okay it's done.

Here's what I got:
Aerius
Denon 3806

That's going to be a great system. Look forward to seeing the pics!

Back