Have Aerius, what receiver/component to get? New owner, please advise!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yang1815,
I think any of them would be fine. Remember your budget. It is not the wattage but the amount of current it can produce. You can use a receiver or amp with greater wattage without damaging anything, within reason. I prefer a more power amp.
I have had Rotel equipment I personally feel they are a great value for the money. Yes if you can bi-wire it is a better more defined sound. This is not to say that the other single wire is bad either.

We are all just here to help. ;)

Jeff :cool:

Jeff Zaret said:
Yang1815,
I think any of them would be fine. Remember your budget. It is not the wattage but the amount of current it can produce. You can use a receiver or amp with greater wattage without damaging anything, within reason. I prefer a more power amp.
I have had Rotel equipment I personally feel they are a great value for the money. Yes if you can bi-wire it is a better more defined sound. This is not to say that the other single wire is bad either.

We are all just here to help. ;)

Jeff :cool:

Thanks! What would be the "optimal" current for the speakers? I guess that would determine if I need amps or not from the receivers.

Should I do 12 or 10 gauge cables???

Yang1815 said:
How do I use bi-wire from the receiver??? Isn't there only one output for the speaker...

Yes there is only one output, but the cable itself splits. It will have one pair of connectors on the receiver/amp side and two pairs on the speaker side.

There is also another configuration that I use, called double or shotgun bi-wiring. Basically, I have two single wire runs of cable going to each speaker - don't worry about this one.

I haven't heard any receivers lately so I'm not sure I'm qualified to say which is best. If I didn't have any way to try them out and no other people gave any evidence to absolutely decide for me, I would put my money on the Rotel.

Yang1815 said:
Thanks! What would be the "optimal" current for the speakers? I guess that would determine if I need amps or not from the receivers.

Should I do 12 or 10 gauge cables???

I would just stick with a good, respectable name brand cable in your price range. Many to choose from - Audio Quest, Tara Labs, Nordost, Kimber to name a few... I'm sure our combined experience would work to recommend something.

dyazdani said:
I would just stick with a good, respectable name brand cable in your price range. Many to choose from - Audio Quest, Tara Labs, Nordost, Kimber to name a few... I'm sure our combined experience would work to recommend something.

I was thinking about getting name brand stuff or going the self-made ones such as Blue Jeans Cable. My current HT set-up is all Monster Cable. Should I do 10 or 12 gauge?

dyazdani said:
Yes there is only one output, but the cable itself splits. It will have one pair of connectors on the receiver/amp side and two pairs on the speaker side.

I haven't heard any receivers lately so I'm not sure I'm qualified to say which is best. If I didn't have any way to try them out and no other people gave any evidence to absolutely decide for me, I would put my money on the Rotel.

Thank you very much for your response, I think all of my concerns have been answered! Now I just need to pick a receiver for now, and get an amp later. Thanks again!

Yang1815 said:
I was thinking about getting name brand stuff or going the self-made ones such as Blue Jeans Cable. My current HT set-up is all Monster Cable. Should I do 10 or 12 gauge?

As with everything else in the audio world there are many opinions out there. A lot of cables use multiple strands of thinner gauge wire, wrapped in various configurations. Some use a couple strands of larger gauge, like the ones you are considering.

For the price of that Belden cable at Blue Jeans, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'd just go with the 10ga, not sure there'd be a striking difference. If you want to change it later, you're only out a few bucks.

In case you haven't noticed, I have a very simplistic view of this whole hobby, get what YOU want, who is anyone else to tell you what's good or bad?? (outside of a few fundamentals, anyway) There are compromises in everything so don't suffer from paralysis by analysis. Do the basic research, ask around the forums and then sit back and enjoy your system!

dyazdani said:
As with everything else in the audio world there are many opinions out there. A lot of cables use multiple strands of thinner gauge wire, wrapped in various configurations. Some use a couple strands of larger gauge, like the ones you are considering.

For the price of that Belden cable at Blue Jeans, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'd just go with the 10ga, not sure there'd be a striking difference. If you want to change it later, you're only out a few bucks.

In case you haven't noticed, I have a very simplistic view of this whole hobby, get what YOU want, who is anyone else to tell you what's good or bad?? (outside of a few fundamentals, anyway) There are compromises in everything so don't suffer from paralysis by analysis. Do the basic research, ask around the forums and then sit back and enjoy your system!

Thanks for your advices again! I did some research and didn't know cables could cost up $6,000 for 3meter bi-wire from Nordost...

I guess I'll look into cables now. I'll just close my eyes and pick a receiver >_<

If you think the Nordost is bad, try the NBS Black Label...

dyazdani said:
If you think the Nordost is bad, try the NBS Black Label...

O I got an idea, Dan. I am looking for an amp that would fit on the "shelf" of the back of the Aerius... Obviously that would mean that I need to buy two of them. Do you have any rough ideas on what I could get? If the price is right I'd get'em along with the receiver. Thanks!

I used an Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver with my Logan’s, it was a $1000.00 back in the day when it was new and did an OK job driving the Ascents with Cinema center and Script surround speakers. Unfortunately receivers just can’t putout the kind of current the electrostatic speakers like, and the Onkyo was no exception. The sound was very detailed and open but lacked impact.

So can you run a Electrostatic speaker with a receiver? Yes, But I don’t recommend it.

I recommend you take a look at Outlaw audio and Rotel, separates before you go out and buy a receiver.

Just my 2 cents.

Zip3kx07 said:
So can you run a Electrostatic speaker with a receiver? Yes, But I don’t recommend it.

I recommend you take a look at Outlaw audio and Rotel, separates before you go out and buy a receiver.

Just my 2 cents.

What about receiver + amps???

I'm leaning towards Onkyo TX-SR803 + Outlaw amps + BlueJeans Cables (IC's and speaker cable)

Last edited:
Yang1815 said:
What about receiver + amps???

I'm leaning towards Onkyo TX-SR803 + Outlaw amps + BlueJeans Cables (IC's and speaker cable)

Then you basically have a separates setup, only your using the receiver as a pre-amp.

Going with an actual HT pre-amp over a receiver as a pre would give you an over all better sound, just removing the amp from the same chassis as the processor can net you a good increase in quality. Having the processor and amplifier running off the same transformer and same power cord can mean that the two compete for power and the amp’s more then likely has a higher THD (total harmonic distortion) level than the processor that can degrade the quality by just having it there even thou it’s not in use.

But I am going a little over board, Yes using the Onkyo as a Pre-amp would be grate, I think you would be very happy with the overall sound quality.

Take Care.

Zip3kx07 said:
Going with an actual HT pre-amp over a receiver as a pre would give you an over all better sound, ...

Agree with Joe on this one, I don't have any experience with the Outlaw amps though.

I would rather have a Rotel processor over the Onkyo. I think you could get a pretty good deal on a used Rotel. You could use it as a receiver for a little while and then upgrade to separate amps when you get the money.

I'm a believer that one great component is a better choice than compromising both components for budgetary reasons. You'll end up better in the long run.

As far as getting amps to set on the back of the speakers, I think it will be very difficult to pull that off.

You don't have any other speakers at this timw, right (center or surrounds)?? If that is the case, there is one more option to consider, but I hate to even suggest it for fear of confusing you.

Other options ....

Well, I have a Yamaha DSP-800 E, a DD/DTS decoder with 3 x 75w power amps for center + surrounds. It's driving decent loudspeakers - not the electostats - but giving a relatively decent surround sound. It's connected to the one of the inputs of my stereo amp (McIntosh) driving Ascents. If stereo is a priority like in my case, this kind of a device is a cost-effective solution that can sound pretty well in surround too.

dyazdani said:
Agree with Joe on this one, I don't have any experience with the Outlaw amps though.

I would rather have a Rotel processor over the Onkyo. I think you could get a pretty good deal on a used Rotel. You could use it as a receiver for a little while and then upgrade to separate amps when you get the money.

I'm a believer that one great component is a better choice than compromising both components for budgetary reasons. You'll end up better in the long run.

As far as getting amps to set on the back of the speakers, I think it will be very difficult to pull that off.

You don't have any other speakers at this timw, right (center or surrounds)?? If that is the case, there is one more option to consider, but I hate to even suggest it for fear of confusing you.

Well not to say I am a fan of Outlaw, but I do think they would be better than just going with a receiver.

I would agree for the most part.

My only point is that it might be better and cheaper in the long run to get a very good receiver now (Rotel, etc) and save up to add a good amp (something better than an Outlaw) later.

Really, though - I think the Onkyo and the Outlaw would be fine. If you can get both used, you could probably upgrade at a later date and not really lose much money.

dyazdani said:
I would agree for the most part.

My only point is that it might be better and cheaper in the long run to get a very good receiver now (Rotel, etc) and save up to add a good amp (something better than an Outlaw) later.

Really, though - I think the Onkyo and the Outlaw would be fine. If you can get both used, you could probably upgrade at a later date and not really lose much money.

Once again, thanks for all of you guys' contribution and suggestions!

I have made up my mind. I have the Onkyo TX-SR803 on the way, and I am going to sell my current HT gears (5 Mirage Omnistats, a 12" Mirage sub, Onkyo TX-SR600 and an Epson projector) and buy a either a multi-channel amp or monoblocks to drive the Aerius. Then I'll turn the current HT room into home-office. If there's some money left from that then I'll get a center channel.

Well, should I sell the sub or no? How are the Aerius for low's?

The reason is that I just don't use the projector and current set up often since it's not a dedicated dark room. In addition, currently my formal dining room is the home office, and I would like to return it to its actual purpose.

Last edited:
Wow, that should make things sing now!

You are most likely going to want a sub for HT use.

It would probably be easier to sell the Omnisats and the sub together wouldn't it? I'm not familiar with that sub as far as using it with the Aerius.

Latest posts

Back