Hasta la Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is still funny. (EDIT: caution for some language in vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZQ_It0weI

Macs have the 'cool' factor and thats why people buy them. It is like Oakleys or Frosted Tips or iPods. There are alternate solutions that are either cheaper, uncool, or better. I have friends that live and die by image and they would buy a mac for the image reason alone.

Apple is smart and has made their stuff 'cool' so kids ask for iPods like Kleenex and Qtips. They are supposed to be good for doing graphics from what I've been told (*brother is artist using macs) but they have problems like PC's do too.

Everyone I know who has had a mac still ends up with problems and still gets confused when trying to use some of the 'intuitive' features.

Rich has it right on. I think Macs are good and I think PCs are good, just depends on personal preference. I also think that the mac vs pc arguement is pretty much a waste of time as there are loyalists on each side that will never jump the fence.

So in the end, we can continue to make fun of each other and post articles until either Apple or Microsoft go out of business...then we can say 'I told you so!'

That video is funny.

I think we should try to enlighten others with our knowledge and experience, but I also think we should be careful not to alienate them with a classist air of superiority. This is true whether we are discussing Apple vs. Microsoft or Martin Logan vs. Wilson Audio.

With that said and this link, http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3904&highlight=troll+alert which is one of many. I couldn't agree with you more. If anyone has a different opinion they are a Troll.

However, there will ALWAYS be those who tend to be more sensitve and allow their feelings to be easily brusied. Can't please 'em all.

Okay, lets move on. Really.

Last edited:
Here's a great article which touches on the idea that technology was meant to serve creativity, but instead it threatens to enslave it.

Yeah, I'd like to send down a couple of wine bottles with the author, I like his style and his points. Life is too short to be small. Giving a pencil box with 20'000 different colors (= technology) to somebody won't make an artist out of him. But somehow it should give birth to a perfect storm in his bowels, make him shift horizons. Instead, many people put a checkmark on things, as in "problem solved" and go on with surviving.

It’s funny how this can quickly diverge into a religious war..

I just wanted to chime in and say that it’s about what you want to get out of it. There are different solutions available to solve different problems.

For instance I’d never think of building a Discotheque using Martin Logans (There I showed my age and angered half the crowd ;) )

So, While I love Macs, I also have a plethora of PC’s in the hose. Including the Vista laptop I’m typing this on (using Word 2007).

My wife, the artiste in the home will never touch the PC’s, she’s strictly a Mac user, and has been since 1984.

Me, even though I was an Apple certified Developer in the early ‘90’s, and have owned my share of Mac’s (and Newtons), I am a bit more agnostic. I really care about results and value.

For instance, home automation, it’s soo much better on PC’s. Tons of hardware, tons of software. And in some instances, no choice, like the software for my DriveRacks, PC only.

I spec and build all my PC’s (except laptops of course). I believe that’s the path to best bang for the buck.
Therefore, my Automation PC, the Home theater PC and both my Office PC’s are hand built.

But I have to say, if forced to choose only one computer for the home, it would be a Macintosh. They are elegant, easy to use and just plain sexy.

Sexy wins any day ;)

Lugano, While I stepped away from my Mac, one of my die-hard pc friends sent me this instant message. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• vista.jpg
    vista.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 78
There they go paving the way again.

[/url]

Umm, it's easy for Apple to say music should have no DRM... when they pretty much have locked the player market... notice Steve didn't say anything about movies where quicktime is not dominant...

So while this is a VERY good thing... let's not give Apple too much credit... this was low risk for them... Also notice they haven't opened up iTunes DRM content to other players.... I wonder why?

The BEST part of the EMI deal was offering HIGHER quality bitrates @ no DRM... this was the surprise... I thought they would put no DRM on the low end stuff... and DRM on the higher rates... but NO... they have done the right thing and offered up no DRM on the better quality rips... all for $0.30 more... NICE JOB EMI...

So you really think that EMI went to Apple out of the blue and told them "Hey Steve, you know what ? Let's put DRM-free content on iTunes" ???? Do you really think that this would have happened without Steve Jobs' open letter ?

I didn't say it didn't have an effect... I said, it was an easy suggestion... no risk, high reward... If Steve and Apple are so, free love and don't care about shareholders and profits... why not the same call in other DRM areas.

as I said... it's good for the consumer... but it's good for Apple as well.

DRM free content in other areas is good for the consumer... and not good for Apple... and yet, his letter didn't say anything about other content.

take the emotion of Steve/Apple out of the situation and take another look.

why not the same call in other DRM areas.

It is an industry first! The 1st brick has been taken off the wall. The importance of this is huge, and others will follow, eventually, after looking at the sales and realizing that greed does not pay.

I'm happy that Jobs made it possible, but I'm VERY happy that it happened, and if it came from Gates and Microsoft I'd have been VERY happy, too.

To implement DRM and consequently track down its foolproofness is a pain in the ass and a big overhead. Nobody wants it except the RIAA and Hollywood, yet mister 96% Microsoft did not have the balls to raise against it. Mister 4% Apple - Jobs had them, and I'm proud, but in the end it's the result that counts.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=238435844

Last edited:
I'd be happier w/ lossless... but if you're happy, I'm happy

Last edited:
monkeyboy Ballmer, early years...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=491434607197997836

for those that don't know why he's called Monkey boy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1763276956369539218

and also the "developers" craze:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3445567083489561526

Steven Anthony Ballmer, chief executive officer of Microsoft Corporation since January 2000....

Oh those commercials make me cringe. The Monkey boy video would make me run.... and how I always hated the cheerleader hoo-rah of american corporate life. It's like brainwashing.

At one point in time I use to attend every seminar that was within a days travel. After seeing those videos I wonder "WHAT WAS I THINKING BACK THEN". :eek:

That's like watching (reading) an episode of 60 minutes.

I have a co-worker who just recently purchased a lap-top with Vista already installed. He was also disappointed in the performance as Vista appeared to be top heavy. Kind of like owning a sports car with only winding roads to drive on. Car feels great but just can't drive fast enough. :confused:

Latest posts

Back