Has anyone used the Adcom 5gfa555mk,amps on their CLS II Z

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htrattner

Reaction score
As you can see Im in the market for a amp to run my csl iiz speakers when I get them ,I would like anyone out who knows of a good used amp(1000-800 dollars price range ) I was looking at the adcom gfa 555mk amp help plz.Harry :eek:

Adcoms just wont cut it with the CLS. It isn't a bad amp but its just not enough for the CLS to shine. Its a bit bright too. Remember What goes in comes out of the speakers!;) There are far superior amps for the same price. If your on a budget look into a Sunfire, they can be had for under $1k. They are stable to 1 ohm. Something you will need.

Or perhaps an older McCormack DNA-1. I used to have one and it was an excellent match with my ReQuests. Plenty of guts for a difficult load, nicely musical, and in your price range.

Nope that Adcom won't do it. I had one driving my Sequels, and when I got a Sunfire, it was night and day in favor of the Sunfire.

The Adcom can not provide the amperage the CLS will need.

Find a nice used Sunfire Stereo (~$700) or Stereo Signature (~$1,000) and call it a day.

You could also check out the Aragon 2004 or 4004 a great design with plenty of current can be found on the Gon quite reasonably priced.

You could also check out the Aragon 2004 or 4004 a great design with plenty of current can be found on the Gon quite reasonably priced.

Agreed, having owned one of the "real" Aragon's of the day (pre-Klipsch merger) , you could possibly be lucky enough to score a pair, then down the road put them on the bottom end, tubes on the mid panel.......... man am I getting ahead of myself or what !! LOL !

You know Aragon does / did make a MonoBlock set up (I believe "DrJRapp") has a pair and speaks favorably about their ability.

Regardless for the $$$ spent it seems the general conseseus of the site is Sunfire is a "bang for the buck" leader.

Just too add to the dissent I had 3 GFA555 my Apogees ate them literally smoked em although they did sound good until they gave up the ghost

I used an aragon back in the day with my CLS's, worked fine. They were designed by Dan D'Agostino of Krell. Great amps and looked pretty cool too!

I used an aragon back in the day with my CLS's, worked fine. They were designed by Dan D'Agostino of Krell. Great amps and looked pretty cool too!

Agreed 100%...and still are great sounding SS power amps too. Happy listening,
Roberto.

ok what about a used mac 2205 200tt/ch

what about a used mac 2205 w/ 200wtt/ch in 8/4/2/ohm. to run the csl thanks for all your input anything helps.Harry:music:

Hello,
I wanted to second the Aragon recommendation. I have owned a 8002 and the 8008bb twice. I recently acquired an 8008bb and liked it so much I moved out a Parasound HCA-3500 that was driving my Vantages.

One note would be that the pre-Klipsch Aragon had rather low input impedances (22k ohms). This is an issue if using a Surround Receiver as a pre-pro. Otherwise, awesome amps with relatively high class A power ratings.(26 W for the 8008 series, 125 W Palladium)
Cheers,
ML

What about the Adcom GFA-5802? (This- and the fan-cooled 5800- is the one that Nelson Pass designed.) I see these on audiogon for as low as $800.

What about the Adcom GFA-5802? (This- and the fan-cooled 5800- is the one that Nelson Pass designed.) I see these on audiogon for as low as $800.
Hola Tosh, what you are looking is quality watts, not only power...with all respect, Adcom is good to drive dynamic speakers, not electrostatic. When I did try it, the highs where rolled off, and a lot of grained midrange...bass was not bad...this is my liking, and not necessary yours...keep looking, Aragon did great!...even an Acurus did better than the Adcom. Trust your ears, and I wish a happy listening,
Roberto.

A Pass Aleph is the answer

After I concluded that I needed a pair of good subwoofers to use with my CLSIIZ I choosed an amp that was very good but did not need to be very powerful, I got myself a Pass Aleph 5; but sub or no sub a quality amp is a must with the CLS. A spare 5800 than I had on hand would not cut it. It was too bright, it did not image as well. I use them with a pair of HGS18II subwoofers whose crossovers are good, no comparison with the old ULD series from Velodyne. One HGS18 is actually plenty enough but I got a pair nonetheless because it is more intellectually satisfying to have a pair; we all have a pair of eyes, ears.. balls, legs, arms....... Women have tits... I had to have a pair of sub.

After I concluded that I needed a pair of good subwoofers to use with my CLSIIZ I choosed an amp that was very good but did not need to be very powerful, I got myself a Pass Aleph 5; but sub or no sub a quality amp is a must with the CLS. A spare 5800 than I had on hand would not cut it. It was too bright, it did not image as well. I use them with a pair of HGS18II subwoofers whose crossovers are good, no comparison with the old ULD series from Velodyne. One HGS18 is actually plenty enough but I got a pair nonetheless because it is more intellectually satisfying to have a pair; we all have a pair of eyes, ears.. balls, legs, arms....... Women have tits... I had to have a pair of sub.

Yeah,I wouldn't mind having 2 penises.A spare would come in handy every now and then.And seeing as I have only one sub,maybe it's an omen that I have to make do with what I have?

wow, Two HGS 18's must sound amazing. I have one of the older F1800RII and it is pretty sweet, but 2 HGS? I am jealous!:music:

Latest posts

Back