Got a Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player and it is awesome!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate that this thing takes about 45 seconds to start up. Totally not worth the $499 pricetag. I'll take an HD-DVD player over this.

I could only wish my Toshiba HD-A1 would take 45 seconds to start up. It takes at least 60 seconds, 2 minutes if you count from the on button to disk menu.

It has also developed this whining sound that only happens when watching a standard DVD, HD DVD its quite (for now), DVD it makes a distracting whining sound.

Last edited:
I hate that this thing takes about 45 seconds to start up. Totally not worth the $499 pricetag. I'll take an HD-DVD player over this.

Actually an HD DVD player is going to take just about as long to start up (first gen. players take longer). I have Toshiba's flagship player (HD-XA2), and from an off state to ready to load takes 40 seconds (the same as my Sony S300). As far as Blu-ray movies go, nearly all that I've played take 20 seconds to load, which is the same as my XA2.

Right now "any" high def player, HD DVD or Blu-ray (with the exception of the Sony PS3), is going to take a while to boot up. It's just the nature of the beast. The upcoming 3rd generation players may be quicker, but we'll just have to wait and see.

For me slow load times are a small trade off for the amazing image quality and sound that's delivered. But that's just my opinion ;)

Seth

Right now "any" high def player, HD DVD or Blu-ray (with the exception of the Sony PS3), is going to take a while to boot up. It's just the nature of the beast. The upcoming 3rd generation players may be quicker, but we'll just have to wait and see.

For me slow load times are a small trade off for the amazing image quality and sound that's delivered. But that's just my opinion ;)

Seth

The PS3 is quick, about 10 seconds to boot up and about 15 to load a Blu-Ray. I can be watching a movie in less then a minute.

The PS3 is quick, about 10 seconds to boot up and about 15 to load a Blu-Ray. I can be watching a movie in less then a minute.

Yeah, the PS3 is definitely the speed champ. Talking about the PS3, I just bought a 60GB PS3, but I'm using it exclusively for gaming (have a separate game room). It's definitely an amazing machine. If I played games on my Sony 70 XBR2, I would be using the PS3 for Blu-ray movies. But for my movie watching needs, the S300 works just fine.

Seth

Yeah, the PS3 is definitely the speed champ. Talking about the PS3, I just bought a 60GB PS3, but I'm using it exclusively for gaming (have a separate game room). It's definitely an amazing machine. If I played games on my Sony 70 XBR2, I would be using the PS3 for Blu-ray movies. But for my movie watching needs, the S300 works just fine.

Seth

What TV do you have the PS3 hooked up too?

Be sure to Download the KillZone 2 game trailer off the Sony network, it's all running in real time no pre rendered stuff. An amazing looking game.

What TV do you have the PS3 hooked up too?

Be sure to Download the KillZone 2 game trailer off the Sony network, it's all running in real time no pre rendered stuff. An amazing looking game.

I have it connected to a 50 inch Panasonic LCD HDTV. I'm using the HDMI connection and it looks amazing! The PS3 is capable of some incredible graphics, and one that really knocked my socks off is Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Can't wait for some other new games to arrive later this year. Supposed to be a great line up.

BTW thanks for letting me know about the Killzone 2 game trailer.:)

Seth

I'm almost too scared to audtion this new high definition gear. I worry that it might show up my current standard DVD player and big screen projector setup. This in turn will lead to dissatisfaction and a subsequent very expensive outlay for high definition compatible gear.

I reckon what I don't know won't hurt me... :eek:

I'm almost too scared to audtion this new high definition gear. I worry that it might show up my current standard DVD player and big screen projector setup. This in turn will lead to dissatisfaction and a subsequent very expensive outlay for high definition compatible gear.

I reckon what I don't know won't hurt me... :eek:

Too true ;)

Holy @#&#!!!! Talk about a MAJOR turn of events!! This will definitely give HD DVD the much needed help it needs to survive. Now with this news, HD DVD just might have a shot with consumers this Holiday season. Amazing! Thanks for sharing the info!

Seth

Back