Got a Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player and it is awesome!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually work at best buy (hehe) and we haven't gotten the bdp-s300 yet, but we did get that new panasonic. The Panasonic is supposed to upscale regular dvd's really well, just as good as the Toshiba XA2.. but we don't carry the XA2 so i can't do an a/b comparison. I plugged up the Panasonic player for a customer to that new 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma, and it looked good.. but not nearly as good as the Sony bdp-s1 player that is normally hooked up to that tv.

But hey, 5 free movies.. can't beat that!

Yeah 5 free movies is really cool. It would have been nice if at least one movie had been included with my S300:) But I can't complain, the S300 is doing everything I had hoped it would. It's one of those things where it exceeded my expectations.

Knowing that the Sony S1 looked even better than the new Panasonic makes me feel good. Especially considering that the new S300 shares a lot of what the S1 has. I know that the S300 delivers a stunning picture on Blu-ray discs, and does an excellent job with up-converting standard DVD's. Thanks for sharing your findings:)

Seth

On Sony website, this new Blu-ray DVD player can upscale to 1080p on standard DVD. STV, does it say that in your manual??

Yeah 5 free movies is really cool. It would have been nice if at least one movie had been included with my S300:) But I can't complain, the S300 is doing everything I had hoped it would. It's one of those things where it exceeded my expectations.

Knowing that the Sony S1 looked even better than the new Panasonic makes me feel good. Especially considering that the new S300 shares a lot of what the S1 has. I know that the S300 delivers a stunning picture on Blu-ray discs, and does an excellent job with up-converting standard DVD's. Thanks for sharing your findings:)

Seth

yeah! you aren't missing much, i mean the 5 movies that it comes with aren't anything of my personal preference.. its 2 pirates of the carribean movies, fantastic four, crash, and the transporter. maybe i am biased as i enjoy the movies coming out on hd-dvd a lot more..

On Sony website, this new Blu-ray DVD player can upscale to 1080p on standard DVD. STV, does it say that in your manual??

Actually it doesn't mention this "very important" feature, which it should. I do know for a fact that the S300 does upscale standard DVD's via HDMI. The incoming signal says 1080p on my Sony 70 XBR2 when I'm viewing standard DVD's on the S300. The upscaled PQ is excellent, and looks near HD.

Seth

Last edited:
Actually it doesn't mention this "very important" feature, which it should. I do know for a fact that the S300 does upscale standard DVD's via HDMI. The incoming signal says 1080p on my Sony 70 XBR2 when I'm viewing standard DVD's on the S300. The upscaled PQ is excellent, and looks near HD.

Seth

Wow...this certainly has peaked my interest!!

Thanks.

Scored an S300!

My crappy $80 LG upscaling DVD player finally ate its last
DVD two nights ago. Like me, it had developed a taste for
sharp, cheddar cheese. In this case, I think the DVD du
jour was Juwanna Man, a true classic of Western cinema.

Ahem.

The LG player was the non-drawer type (NEVER buy a
player which uses roller feeds instead of a drawer!), so I
had to disassemble the darn thing to retrieve the DVD.
I wasn't too upset about the failure. Much as I bad-talk
the LG, it had served its purpose by allowing me to watch
movies via HDMI output on my 50-inch Panny plasma
until Blue-Ray became affordable.

BestBuy had an open-box S300 for $450, so I jumped.

Brian,

The Sony S300 does an excellent job with upscaling...

Oh. My. Gawd. I have no BD disks yet, but the plain old DVD
upscaling from this player is itself worth $400. The LG and
plasma combo looked so much better than my old TV that
I had no idea how poorly it was upscaling. How did I live
with that player for so long?

The detail, color, black levels, and contrast of the S300 are
superb. Switching from the LG to the S300 was like putting
on my glasses in the morning. I swear that I now see an
entire magnitude of greater detail such as individual blades
of grass and the sheen on hair.

Best of all, the annoying "clay effect" color-blending errors
are now totally gone. The worst example of this problem
was at the opening of "Shrek 1". A sunbeam slowly fades
in to highlight a fairy tale book. With the LG player, the
sunbeam and book were literally unidentifiable. They just
looked like olive drab color-blobs on a black field until the
book was opened and the pages reflected more light. Even
at the very lowest light levels at the start of the fade-in,
the S300 shows the sunbeam dust-sparkles and the book
details. That LG was practically broken compared to the
S300. But what do you expect for $80?

I can't imagine what a good BD will look like. This player
pretty much eliminated any desire to restock my movie
library with the new BD media. The list of films which I'd
rebuy at $20 and up is very short: LOTR, Narnia, Kill Bill,
the Potters, and the recent Pixars. Maybe a few others, but
certainly not Hitch or Purple Rain. Why not release
Ernest Goes to Camp and Dorf on Golf on Blue-Ray?
I mean, they're re-mastered! Whoo!

Anyway, I must now decide on my first BD title. This is
a momentous decision! My first DVD was Blazing Saddles,
but I have no plans to buy that on BD unless it's practically
free.

There are no BD titles available right now which really
"blows my skirt up", so I will probably wait for The Incredibles
to be released. Besides being one of my all-time favorite
movies, I can't wait to see the jungle scenes from Nomanisan
Island in true BD format for comparison to the upscaled
DVD format.

Oh, who am I kidding? Hellboy is out on BD and I love
that movie too. That film's dark look and FX should make
for an ideal comparison between upscaled DVD and true
high-rez Blue-Ray. I just hope it's a decent transfer.

The transfer on HellBoy is really good!

I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Audio is really good too.

Also the Blu-Ray version is the Directors Cut. So their are a lot of new scenes added to the film. I highly recommend HellBoy, if you don't own it buy it. If you do own it, double dip it.

Congrats. I tried ordering the Panny from their friends/family site, but no "add to cart" button yet. Nice to see another Pixar fan :D I think Incredibles is second only to Nemo for me, haha.

since we are on an audiophile type forum, here's a BD spec list. You will see under audio, what sound formats are encoded, tell us what you buy!

http://www.blu-raystats.com/index.php

You know, this reminds me a lot of when CDs came out - looking through the above list sorted by IMDB rating (presumably for transfer quality), there are very few movies in the 8+ range that I would want to own in that list. More particularly, there is a bunch of stuff in the general list that I consider a waste of plastic. Many of the titles seem to be there just because they are recent releases, not even necessarily stuff that did that well at the box office either.

The studios are shooting themselves in the foot by ignoring much of their back-catalog classic stuff. Do we really need "Beerfest" or "Norbit" in HD? I also see that some movies that I'd like to own in HD, and that would probably benefit from the format, are rated as average to bad transfers, for example "Seven Years in Tibet" seems like it would be great in HD, with the mountain vistas et al.

Ya, too bad. Even with the present sd DVD format, I didn't think they always took advantage of what this older tech was capable of, either. But in any case, even with so-so transfers, they must look a ton better than their SD counterparts, let alone possible lossless audio (my favorite part). Hence my lean towards the Panny player for the 7.1 outs, although it will never, ever be able to decode MA. Anyways, there are plenty of titles that interest me. (I have a very small dvd collection).

fyi, for those considering a new player, sorry if old news to you. Looks like the Samsungs are the only players with the hardware to ever bitstream MA. Not even Ps3 ever can, however it has the potential to internally decode. The hdmi 1.3 spec is not very standardized at all.

I can't imagine what a good BD will look like. Anyway, I must now decide on my first BD title. This is
a momentous decision! My first DVD was Blazing Saddles,
but I have no plans to buy that on BD unless it's practically
free.

Huge congrats on your new player! :cheers: I've been using mine now for almost a month and it just keeps on impressing me with its stellar PQ and sound. The best Blu-ray titles are gonna knock your socks off!

Re Blazing Saddles, well actually if you wanted it you could get it for free.;) Since you just bought your player you can get 5 free Blu-ray movies by mail.
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/bd-offer.pdf

And Joe is right, Hellboy is a great looking (and sounding) Blu-ray. And being that It's the Director's Cut, makes it all the more reason to get it.:)

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your Sony S300!

Seth

Since you just bought your player you can get 5 free Blu-ray movies by mail.
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/bd-offer.pdf

Ha! Didn't know about that offer. Much better than
having 5 disks in the box. Thanks!

But I think I'll choose Corpse Bride instead of
Blazing Saddles. :D Saddles is not about PQ
as much as drinkin', hollerin', and laughin' with
your buddies the hundredth time you watch it.

"I get no kick
from champagne.

(wooo wooo wooo)

Mere alcohol
does not thrill me at all.

So tell me
how could it be true...

...that I get a kick
out of you.

(Boom bada bop bop
Boom bah Boom bah...)"

Last edited:
You're welcome.:) Yeah the PQ on Blazing Saddles while very good, just Isn't up there with Corpse Bride.

And pretty much all the Blu-ray titles listed on the 5 free offer have received some great reviews for PQ. The only two that I'm aware of that didn't fare so well are Kiss of the Dragon and Species.

Seth

I already have a HD-DVD but I'm limited by what I can watch on Netflix. I don't need another console (I have a XB360 w/HD-DVD drive).

I'm a cheap bastard. There's a Samsung BD-P1000 on Ebay for $350. Is that a good deal? I don't really care about owning movies right now. I'm okay with renting.

Advice? Remember, I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to buying two players for two formats.

Yes, $350 is a good deal. Is it a new player or used?

Used. Seller claims her husband bought a PS3 and so she's selling this because it's "silly to have two of these things in the house" ...

LOL, women.

Found one for $339. Just bought it.

Can't believe that I bought BOTH players. I'm such a consumer. :rolleyes:

I hate that this thing takes about 45 seconds to start up. Totally not worth the $499 pricetag. I'll take an HD-DVD player over this.

Back