Friday is a sad, sad day for me.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I honestly didn't expect to receive so many serious inquiries in such a short amount of time

In the meantime, why not rip your CD's to FLAC, and listen to your collection via your PC, or better yet, a Squeezebox and powered speakers. By the time you relocate, you could have your entire collection ripped, and tagged, and can step up to high-end audio streaming with a Transporter, or Squeezebox/DAC combo.

In the meantime, why not rip your CD's to FLAC, and listen to your collection via your PC, or better yet, a Squeezebox and powered speakers. By the time you relocate, you could have your entire collection ripped, and tagged, and can step up to high-end audio streaming with a Transporter, or Squeezebox/DAC combo.

Sleepysurf, I have all of my CD's ripped in Apple's Lossless format. I've been thinking of getting a decent pair of cans in the meantime... I've been eyeing a pair of Grado's.

Squeezebox is also a good option for the future. Thanks for the reminder.

Sleepysurf, I have all of my CD's ripped in Apple's Lossless format. I've been thinking of getting a decent pair of cans in the meantime... I've been eyeing a pair of Grado's.

My new AKG 701's have been on a diet for 2 weeks now: 3 minutes pink noise followed by 1 minute white noise, on repeat. From time to time I stop the pink noise and listen to them, and when I do I think to myself: "these cans are little Martin Logans, not AKG's". Serious listening with this model begins after 400 hours, but already now they impress me quite a lot - it's impossible to concentrate on anything else if you listen to them. I'd suggest to give them a try. Of course, not plugged in in an iPod.

Sugar,
I(as well as James) am in Austin, good luck with your move and shoot me a pm when you get here. If you need a ML fix I'll hook you up, got two rooms full of em!!
John

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s, and think of the sound as pretty ML like. smooth sweet top end and mids with a very nice (but somewhat lean) bottom end. Norah Jones, Diana Krall sound outstanding on them.

He's alive...

Well, I have decided that I am not moving back to the States quite yet. I just feel that there our too many positives in Europe at this point in time in my life and I should stay put. I can always have the States. Plus, my wife and I decided that when we move it will be to Colorado. Funny how a few months can change alot.

So, I feel quite silly having sold my amp and cdp so fast, but it does allow me the opportunity to get a "Universal CDP" which is what I think I need. There have been some interesting post in the last 6 months or so, and I'm thinking that I might go with a "DV9600 Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player from Marantz." It's important for me to have DVD to watch movies, SACD, dvd'a and normal redbook play back. Thoughts??

As for the amp, I was quite happy with the MF A5's 'HT Direct' feature and am leaning towards repurchasing that again. Thoughts?? Classe is what I would want, but they are too damn expensive over here.

Speaker wire... since I cannot audition over here at this point. I am thinking about making a blind purchase on either Audioquest cables, or this time go with the 2nd revision of Nordost Blue Heaven. I'm headed to the states next week and will get something as they are cheaper there than over here. Thoughts??

As for the ML's... the buyer of my amp backed out at the last minute and went with Maggies. So thank god I still have them.

Input appreciated as always....

Cheers

-M

Last edited:
SugarMedia,

It is always a tough decision on moving whether it is down the street or to another country. I am sure when the time is right everything will fall in to place.

As far as universal players, I believe there are a few which are really top quality. I think the Marantz was one also look at the McCorkmack UDP-1 Deluxe. It is a bit pricey at 4K USD but has gotten great reviews. I would have got one if I had the money and not got the Krell which is not universal. :( My Krell SACD is by no means a slouch but just not universal. Between the two, I have been told but I have not done the comparison, the McCormack is a bit more musical but that is subjective at best.

If you like the MF then by all means get one. I would think they would be cheaper there since they are designed in the U.K and built in China. (like a lot of stuff now)

Best of luck

Jeff:cool:

Latest posts

Back