For max sound - never turn your system off...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin said:
Mark & Jeff,

I have to reply, to your hilarious posts... and you do realize my audio equipment, is in the Napa Valley, and technally I'm on vacation so...
You guys bring the grilled cheese and s'mores. I'll provide the, Napa Valley wino. We'll have a Bar-BQ, next to my Home Theater, a glow, in electric sparks...

PS - Mark,
You posted a great entry, regarding the, "Shanling SDC T200". I quoted it to a new poster to the site... I am also very grateful for the intel, as I am looking at the, Shanling SDC T200 also. Your excellent infomation regarding, the 'Westinghouse Electric' and then 'Bendix - Red Banks', tubes was fantastic too...! Thanks! This is the post:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=884

Is their anything else, regarding the quality / sound of the Shanling that you could tell me? That you didn't already discribe, in the above post? Also, are their any other reviews on the web / internet? I would appreciate anymore information, you can give. :) :D

Cheers

-Robin

You started this great post with your 5 reasons! I had to jump in and was delighted to see Jeff add his! With regards to the Shanling. Thank you for your kind words. I read with interest the review link that Dan posted. I have not had that problem nor heard of it prior to this. I have put some hyper links to some other reviews for you to take a look at.

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/APR03/EQUIP/equip1APR03.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/shanling3/t200.html

http://www.hifi86.com/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=fd63d5f16536494aa3ede897d4236d46

http://www.originlive.com/digital-shanling.htm

This should give you a good start if your serious about getting one of these babies. If you do buy one, don't swap out the tubes right away. It actually sounds great with the stock tubes. When you do switch them out, make sure that you play your favorite SACD track first and then play it again with the new tubes. The difference will astound you. I was totally stunned as I could not believe the jump in sound quality. Also, this unit does not take a long time to warm up. I turn it on and normally wait for 15 minutes but have also started listening immediately as well. Just for the heck of it, I switched out the tubes for the originals to make the comparison again. I put the WE 396As back in after one song though. The difference is incredible. I feel like I have a totally new player just by changing a couple of tubes. Cost was only $70.00 for the both of them. Like I said in that post, you should try some others too. Oh, and I am asking my buddy to bring his Sony over to see how it compares playing through the MLs. Will keep you posted. As I said in my other post, the only problem I ran into was due to it sitting on a component that generated too much heat. Since removing it from the heat source, all has been flawless. It is dark as I type this and it is on and has a nice glow coming from it. Celine Dion is playing at the moment.

Great information!!!

Dan, Jeff & Mark,

Thank you for the wonderful information. The good, as well as, the not so good, it all helps. :D

Bar-BQ'ed Chicken sounds good, cooked well enough, on hot audio gear, except for the BBQ sauce, down the grill of the amplifiers :D

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
MarkNewbie said:
With regards to the Shanling. Thank you for your kind words. I read with interest the review link that Dan posted. I have not had that problem nor heard of it prior to this.

It just happened to be posted on the Asylum recently and I remember people here talking about it - which was the reason for showing the link. One post does not define a piece of equipment at all. I would recommend doing searches on other sites, and reading as much as possible - and I see MarkNewbie has posted some other links.

Dan

Hey Robin....my brother lives in the "Valley"

I visited w/him two years ago...he owns the biggest catering co in them there parts...cool wine train BTW!!

Peace, Pogue

DTB300 said:
It just happened to be posted on the Asylum recently and I remember people here talking about it - which was the reason for showing the link. One post does not define a piece of equipment at all. I would recommend doing searches on other sites, and reading as much as possible - and I see MarkNewbie has posted some other links.

Dan

Perhaps that is why the current model is a "CD-T200C"? Mine is a "CD-T200A" and I have not been able to find out why the current model has the "C" at the end instead of the "A" like mine. There is nothing that I have come across that explains the change. If the first ones had a problem and subsequent production has fixed that problem, perhaps they changed the model number to reflect the change. Mine is a refurbished unit which I tend to prefer over "Brand New". Reason being, I view refurbs as "new" with an extra quality check performed. Make sense?

Robin?

Have you purchased a SACD player yet? Just curiour as to what you have done, that's all.

Mark

Jeff Zaret said:
Conrad Johnson recommends turning the equipment off.
Jeff

yep, 'cause CJ equipment can cook itself. friend of mine had a CJ pre and only turned it on from Friday night to monday morning. he had to send it in to get the board soldered back together a couple of times because it cracked from heat. sigh.

that was CJ vintage about 20 years ago. i think they fixed the issue :)

Well I hope they have. I do not really find it that inconvienent to turn it on and off. I use it also for part of my HT so it is usually on for a bit before I so some serious listening. :D

Jeff

MarkNewbie said:
Robin?

Have you purchased a SACD player yet? Just curiour as to what you have done, that's all.

Mark

Mark,

No,... not yet, but I am interested in the, Shanling T200A (or is it "C"), which ever. It seems like you have really, made your unit, sound much better with your replacing the tubes... I think your discriptions of the kind of awesome sounds you were great and very discriptive. You have been able to achive, alot with your Shanling ASCD player. It may be a while for me though,... as I must save up for a power amplifier, first... I have big plans for the future though. I am trying to aquire an awesome HT and at the same time have the option to listen to glorious two channel (Stereo) tube sound for the goal of increasing my music listening..., like Jeff and others, in the club have done. I am looking at a "Two systems in one", kinda thing, At least I am concidering it. I am thinking about, Audiogon, deals too. For now I just keep saving, and saving, with audiophile dreams - dancing in my head.

Thanks Mark

-Robin

thepogue,

Hey, that's great to hear, about your brother, living in the Napa Valley. His catering business must be doing well, as their are lots of big parties, wedding and such, going on all the time, espeically at all the beautiful wineries, around here...
I have never been on the wine train, but I hear it is way cool... I see it, moving slowly up the Napa Valley. Their is wine tasting and they serve dinner or lunch depending on what time of day you go. Friends who have been say it's great fun. :D :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Mark,

No,... not yet, but I am interested in the, Shanling T200A (or is it "C"), which ever. It seems like you have really, made your unit, sound much better with your replacing the tubes... I think your discriptions of the kind of awesome sounds you were great and very discriptive. You have been able to achive, alot with your Shanling ASCD player. It may be a while for me though,... as I must save up for a power amplifier, first... I have big plans for the future though. I am trying to aquire an awesome HT and at the same time have the option to listen to glorious two channel (Stereo) tube sound for the goal of increasing my music listening..., like Jeff and others, in the club have done. I am looking at a "Two systems in one", kinda thing, At least I am concidering it. I am thinking about, Audiogon, deals too. For now I just keep saving, and saving, with audiophile dreams - dancing in my head.

Thanks Mark

-Robin

I plan on doing the HT thingy down the road. Perhaps I will move the Ascent i's to the rears and something new at the time from ML like the Summits will be the fronts. It is not something that will be happening soon for me as my wallet is hurting now...lol. Time for recovery. Plus my room is not really set up for it. That will have to be planned for the next house.

Two systems in one....

Mark,

Yes, your future plans sound great! Summits would be fantastic... Perhaps, I shalll do the same thing, five or six years or so... I know one thing - I just love the sound Martin Logan speakers make....

I am thinking of the day, six years from now, when we move to our, Camano Island, Washington retirement home. We plan to live there for at least, the first three years of our retirement, maybe longer..., At that time, I will have a, 25'x28'x10', huge HT room, to play in. The expansion, to a much larger room will be wounderful... I can hardly wait. I plan to never turn off my system, in retirement. :) ;) :D

-Robin

Robin said:
Mark,

Yes, your future plans sound great! Summits would be fantastic... Perhaps, I shalll do the same thing, five or six years or so... I know one thing - I just love the sound Martin Logan speakers make....

I am thinking of the day, six years from now, when we move to our, Camano Island, Washington retirement home. We plan to live there for at least, the first three years of our retirement, maybe longer..., At that time, I will have a, 25'x28'x10', huge HT room, to play in. The expansion, to a much larger room will be wounderful... I can hardly wait. I plan to never turn off my system, in retirement. :) ;) :D

-Robin

Robin,

Your not going to know how to act! Will you still hang your speakers? Smiles

Mark :D

Space to grow on...

Mark,

Yah, I'll have to think bigger. I'll be able to actually, move my Acsent i's, three or four feet from the wall. The way they should have been positioned all along... It is really going to be a pleasure to do that. :D

You know, the more, I think about it, the more, I really like your idea of eventually buying the next generation ML speakers (like the Summit's) and moving my Ascent i's to the surround position. Heck, if I can purchase, ML Summit's, on "ebay" or "Audiogon", - 'new', for 25% - 35%, off, I'm starting to think it could really be possible...

I need to start thinking bigger.... My family would go into shock, if they heard me say, "I need to think bigger". They think, I alittle crazy with my audio hobby, as it is.... :eek:

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Mark,

Yah, I'll have to think bigger. I'll be able to actually, move my Acsent i's, three or four feet from the wall.

Cheers

-Robin

If you did that now, they would be against the other wall! LOL :D

Latest posts

Back