First ML system - EM-ESLs on the way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahihe

Reaction score
Very excited about my first ML system. After much back and forth between Purity, Motion12s and EM-ESLs, I ended up ordering the EMs.

I remember seeing and hearing MLs for the first time (don't remember which model they were) 12 years ago @ Magnolia Hifi in Bellevue, WA, being driven by big and cool looking Mcintosh amps. I loved the sound, but quickly filed them under someday-maybe after looking at the price tag.

When I started looking for a new system, I saw a pair of EMs at BestBuy and was hooked again. Loved that clarity and the open sound stage. The Motion 12s were great as well, but they kept pulling my attention to the speaker boxes, while with EMs it was as if the sound was coming from the empty space between the speakers, with the vocalist standing in front of all the instruments right in the middle. Loved it.

Looking forward to enjoying all my music again. They should be here Monday!

Awesome! What's your other equipment? We like pics here so send some in for the Members Systems subforum.

I been using Martin Logan speakers a long time. First pair was SL3 in early 1990s )))))

I have also had in past other panel speakers such as Acoustats and Magnepan.

Recently purchased Spires and no regrets. Break in period can be painful but was that is done, the ML magic is there )))))

Improvements in technology so good with ML that no one can say they do not do loud volumes or rock anymore!!!! They are great on all types of music.

I know you will enjoy your new EMs )))))

Dan

The ESL's are amazing value for money. Great purchase!

Thanks! and some newbie questions

Thanks for the very warm welcome everyone.

Can't wait for the speakers to get delivered today.
The search has already begun for an amp, center channel and surrounds.

Kind of on a budget so I'll probably have to pace these purchases. What would you suggest getting first - an amplifier or the center channel.

I currently have an Onkyo 636 receiver, rated at 95 wpc @ 8ohms. Not certified at 4ohms. For a center channel I am currently using an Energy XL-C100 and Energy Take 5 surrounds.

For receiver I am considering a Sunfire Cinema Grand or Emotiva XPA-2/3 (drive the remaining from my Onkyo).
For center channel, thinking of getting Encore TF till I can get a decent used ESL center.
For surrounds, either Encore TF or Motion 10s.

Cheers

Don't write off your Onkyo receiver yet, not until you have tried it. Written specs are a very poor guide to any amplifier's or receiver's actual drive capabilities. It may or may not work and you may or may not be surprised.

In my second room I've got a Motion 8 center mated up with a set of Puritys. I would think a Motion 8 would do fine with the ESLs. The nice thing about the Motion 8 is it's very compact.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a Matinee as the central channel. I think with its paper cones it should go well with the EMs.

EMs have now had good amount of break in time, but they are still sounding very thin. At the demo, Motion 12s did seem to fill the room better, but EMs were great in the sweet spot. At home though, they are sounding thin even in the sweet spot. I went through the ML video placement and have done the proper toe in etc. The panels are about 2.5 feet from the wall behind them, left one is about 2 feet from the side wall, and there is no wall to the side of the right front.

Seems like they are lacking in midrange - not sure if its the speakers or the receiver driving them. I am using Denon CD player as a source connected to the AVR via RCA inputs, and using the "Direct" mode (supposed to have least signal processing) on the AVR.

Any suggestions on what to try next. Thinking of addressing the power amp issue - either go with Pioneer SC-37 or Marantz AV7500 and Sunfire. Going the receiver only route is save approx 1K, but if the separates combo is really much better, I'd get that directly.

Thanks again!

I had to put my Ethos about 1.2m away from the back wall until they sounded right. Now it feels like I'm within the concert, not just listening. In my case it was simple: the more distance between speakers and walls, the better.

My Theos just arrived Tuesday, and I have them about 2 ft out from the wall and they sound better then I could have dreamed. I am running a Marantz SR7005. I love it.

btw the Marantz AV7005 is a pre only, no power amps in that big boy, but they sound is awesome from it.

sahihe, congrats on the new speaks! If you do a couple searches here, you'll find many suggestions on how to get the most out of your speakers. Positioning is key and the ML suggestions are just a starting point as I've found out over the past couple years. You may have to pull them out further from the wall to as much as 4-5 feet. Traps on the walls behind the panels deals with the rear wave effectively.

Try this tip given to me by another member here. Crank up the rear feet to the point where the panel is vertical. Don't worry, they won't fall over. Use a level to plumb them in both directions. Try more or less toe and move your listening spot in or out if possible. You can also move them closer to each other if you like. Nothing is in stone and each room will require it's own tweaking to get the most out of them.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back