Quantcast

Fireplace and ML placement

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

cstpeter

Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hello all, I'm moving into a new place tomorrow and it looks like the only spot for the beloved Aeon i's is flanking a small gas fireplace. I have no idea how much heat the fireplaces gives off, but the speakers will be 3-4 feet away to each side. Any thoughts on how sensitive Martin Logan's are to heat? Is this a horrible idea, or do you think I'll be ok?

Thanks for your input.
 

Cherian

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
I think this is a bad idea. Mylar and very high temperatures do not mix well.
 

SteveInNC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
0
Location
Research Triangle, NC
I asked the same question about a year ago and was told that it isn't much of an issue. The fireplace should not emit that much heat sideways in any case. A woodstove might be more of a problem. My Ascents are arranged similar to what you describe (system 99), but I haven't had a fire since installing them - I have a DLP sitting in front of the fireplace, so I need special motivation to move that to make a fire. Working full time and pursuing an MBA in the evenings has kept me from developing any special motivation lately :).
 

cstpeter

Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the input.

Cherian, your reply is troubling; Steve, your's is assuring. I'm torn! I guess I'll monitor the heat output, and if it gets to hot, then I'll have to come up with an alternative.

Steve, I'm working full time and pursuing a evening J.D., so I doubt I'll have much time for spontaneous fires either! Unfortunately my fiance has a bit more free time.

Back to packing. Moving is a bitch!

Thanks again.

p.s. Cherian, your signature is a picture of Millenium Park, right? A fellow Chicagoan?
 
Last edited:

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
cstpeter said:
p.s. Cherian, your signature is a picture of Millenium Park, right? A fellow Chicagoan?
Chicago rules the MLO boards..... we should really have a get-together. :)
 

Cherian

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
CSTPETER most electronics are designed for use at a maxtemp of 40 degree C or 104 degree F. I would not let your equipment it get any hotter than this. Might want to call ML to see what they say.

Joey you are welcome here anytime. I think we live very near each other Im in Zip code 60606
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
Cherian said:
Joey you are welcome here anytime. I think we live very near each other Im in Zip code 60606
Hahah!! Thanks! So are you here!

I live in 60607. :D
 

Cherian

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
I am at Washington and wells. Stop by anytime.
 

audioraptured

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
cstPeter: Good afternoon. Check my system #125 and see the same problem I had. The key may be to see what kind of Mylar is used...........
Naturally I'd check with ML to see which type they use....and what they say.
The rest here is my observation:
If you are using a grill and closed glass for a sealed system there shouldn't be much of a problem if it's just for looks and the asthetic and romantic appeal.
HOWEVER: If it's used to heat the room; it's not just the heat, (remember that's radiant waves), when it's dissipated by your rooms small convection currents from fans and vents and windows and such, but it's the particles that will be given off, that may be cause for concern.
(That's why I had to put my Sony in front of the fireplace, {because I was allergic to the particles and other by-products that were given off from different types of logs}, and I could no longer use the fireplace). IF you leave the glass doors open, you will definitely be cleaning your speakers a lot more IMO, and there will be greater variations in room temperatures and humidity values. You may expect room cleaning and a change in air quality, (more filter changes). It seemed more dusty. Naturally, if your not effected, it might not make a difference.
If it were wood logs and a big open system I personally would not recommend it, being they are placed that close.
I would be concerned by the possible change to the paper and the plastic-like rubber seals of the woofer, would they have a tendency to dry out? And would it make a difference if you were to upgrade them years from now for the resale value?
Please continue to check the problem out, as I would also like to find a possible answer or compromise. Best of luck to you and yours.
 
Last edited:

Gordon Gray

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
3,962
Reaction score
5
Location
Alto, NM
Install a heat tempered, glass screen

I have the exact situation in my new house. Summit (right side of right speaker) is approx. 5' from my gas fireplace, which is located in the corner of my living room. I googled the internet and found a folding, 3 sided, stand up, glass "screen" that is heat tempered and is about 16" higher than the top of the fireplace. Place approx. 12" to 16" out from the front and sides of the unit. The screen deflects the vast majority of the heat upward and away from the Summit. With screen in place, there is no heat build up on the speaker. Works very well, costs about $100, and you can still see the gas fire logs. If you need a contact, tell me and I'll provide.

GG
 

SugarMedia

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
733
Reaction score
0
Location
EU
Biscuit test

I would put it to the Biscuit test.

Light the fire, place two biscuits (in the can type) on each side. If they rise you've got heat. if they don't, you're safe.
 

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
SugarMedia said:
I would put it to the Biscuit test.
Light the fire, place two biscuits (in the can type) on each side. If they rise you've got heat. if they don't, you're safe.
The Fireplace Tweak or Test....nice...should be added somewhere here for info :D

Dan
 

cstpeter

Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the input everyone. All moved in, but still figuring out the setup.

Bad news. I ran into the previous tenant, who said he put his TV above the fireplace and it melted. Don't think I'll be risking it with the ML's.

Joey and Cherian, I'm in 60661 at Jackson and Des Plaines. I'm really liking the new place so far!

--Chris
 

Cherian

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Chris,

You are not far from me at all. I love living in Chicago Its a great music town and the food is good too. Maybe we should have a Chicago ML club get together.

Cherian
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
Cherian said:
Chris,

You are not far from me at all. I love living in Chicago Its a great music town and the food is good too. Maybe we should have a Chicago ML club get together.

Cherian
Geezuz.. we live like within a 1 mile radius from each other! :eek:

I live on Ashland and Harrison, right across from the Illinois Medical District and Rush Hospital/University!

We should get a Chicago get-together! We also have David M., another ML guy, who lives in the city as well!

Glenn Poor anyone?
 
Last edited:

Cherian

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Sounds like a plan. I would love to hear other peoples systems. Joey, I am so glad you got to kee the Summits. Now maybe I can listen to them.
 

cstpeter

Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
A get-together would be great. I would love to hear some other systems, get feedback on my system, and/or check out Glen Poor (I've always been a little intimidated by that place). Pretty much any weekend works for me.
 

SteveInNC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
0
Location
Research Triangle, NC
cstpeter said:
Thanks for the input everyone. All moved in, but still figuring out the setup.

Bad news. I ran into the previous tenant, who said he put his TV above the fireplace and it melted. Don't think I'll be risking it with the ML's.

Joey and Cherian, I'm in 60661 at Jackson and Des Plaines. I'm really liking the new place so far!

--Chris
Yeah, but heat rises... I'm a great believer in empirical evidence... build a roaring fire, and stick a thermometer at the approximate position where you think your speakers will be, then see what the max temp is. A properly functioning fireplace should not emit any particulates into the room - the draw will carry smoke and such up the chimney. The heat is emitted as a function of radiation and reflection.
 
Top