Difference compared to inexpensive cables?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I was just reading some recent posts about silver cables making systems sound bright.

So, if there are differences in detected sound between different high end cables, I would assume there are differences between basic/cheap speaker cables too. (I'm talking about a pair of 10 -15' speaker cables that are at least 16 AWG or thicker costing about $5-25. you know what i'm talking about - stuff found at radio shack, Home Depot...)
1. Is this true?
2. Is it possible that some of these speaker cables can sound better than cables costing $100? $500? $1000?
3. What technically makes one speaker wire better than another?
4. Why do some of them cost more than a $1000 CDP or a a plasma TV? I have a hard time believing it is because of the cost of material or Research and Development nor small demand.

In particular, I am asking about speaker wires.

1. Yes
2. Probably yes, define "better"
3. technically - conductivity, noise rejection, frequency independency etc. in practice - sound wise suitability for the task
4. relative cost of material or research and development and small demand, "market price"

I pretty much agree with what MPS wrote. Years ago I conducted an experiment and listened to several different speaker cables, including the UK equivalent of Romex. There were definately differences, but as to whether those differences justify their cost is a personal decision, and must be made in the context of one's system.

Geez - you trying to start a flame war here?

My opinion (and you'll get 100) - all cables sound different, but more importantly than the cables themselves, they interact with the components around them.

So a cable that sounds great with your MLs and, say, a Gryphon amplifer might sound like rubbish when you change that amplifier to a Lamm.

In the end, it is a very important consideration. But if you find that you are getting up into the multi-thousands area then that money is probably better spent on a traditional component upgrade.

Geez - you trying to start a flame war here?

My opinion (and you'll get 100) - all cables sound different, but more importantly than the cables themselves, they interact with the components around them.

So a cable that sounds great with your MLs and, say, a Gryphon amplifer might sound like rubbish when you change that amplifier to a Lamm.

In the end, it is a very important consideration. But if you find that you are getting up into the multi-thousands area then that money is probably better spent on a traditional component upgrade.

I'll agree with that. The cable effectively becomes part of the load that the amp drives. Change the load characteristics (i.e. either the cable or the speakers), and the signal transfer signature will change. Likewise, change the signal source output characteristics and you affect the other major dependency in the system.

Now, how those differences in signal transference manifest in the listener's cranium, that's where the real magic is.

I think its all about synergy. Components and cables that compliment one another. Think about it. If your source can't produce a certain frequency, it doesn't matter if your cable can carry it. Or for that matter, if your hearing is good enough to even tell.

If at all possible, always try to audition everything in your home with your gear. From your room to your source music, it all makes a difference how you hear it. Remember you're the only person who has to like your stereo.

Latest posts

Back