Did I just damage my motion 4's????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakersfreak

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a question. I have a denon 3312 receiver set up with motion 4 in front, motion 2 for rears, motion 8 for center and a B&W subwoofer.
Last night I was listening to music and accidentally pressed the direct option on the remote which plays sound through front speakers only and sub turned off. The receiver was set pretty loud and for about 10 seconds the bass, now being directly sent to the speakers and not the sub, caused a "thumping" sound from the speakers. Have I possibly damaged the speakers????
I have set the setting to use sub in direct mode ever since. Also, I have not heard any unusual sound from speakers since then. What do you guys think?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Best way to check is to play some bass heavy music at lower volumes. Put your ear up to the cones to verify any distortion.

Also, push the woof in at the center of the cone to see if there's any resistance or scraping sounds.

If you pass both "tests", you're probably OK.

Good luck.

GG

Hola. I think that you overpower the small 4" woofer bouilt in the Motion 4, making it to sound odd. Sometimes you just make them to sound horrible, but no harm, others, you could blow the woofer if you apply too much volume level and too much bass energy to them. Avoid to play that loud, and if you want to enjoy heavy bass, use the sub for it. The Motions 4 are great speakers, with a very delicate sound at the lower mid-range. Upper bass is quite good too, but there is no deep bass at all, it can not reproduce it. The tweeter is awesome. One of the finest tweeters available on these days. Listen to them at moderate level and bring little by little the volume up, to get the average normal listening level. If the sound is OK, the you are safe. happy listening!

Back