Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Lustig

Reaction score
Well I sold my Descent to Ron (Cruzr) and without fail, it was damaged in shipping by UPS. We are working with UPS to have it resolved but here is the story and I am hoping maybe someone can help out.

It sounds like UPS ripped a 14 inch gash through the double box and tore the front grill cover. Ron has already contacted ML and as luck would have it, they still have the side grills available but not the front one. According to Ron, nothing else was damaged. It sounds like UPS is thinking it is not repairable since we can't get the replacement grill. It would be a shame to let them trash the sub just cause we can't get a new grill. Which brings me to my question, is there anybody out there that has a front grill for a Descent. I know's it a long shot but I figured I would at least ask.

I have not spoken to Ron except for his initial PM so I do not have any details other than the grill is damaged. If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate the input.
Thanks
Jim

Ron is going to call ML on monday to see if they can repair it. I just figured I would put it out there in case somebody happened to have one laying around.
Thanks for the advice.

They will probalbly let you keep it or buy it back.

More than likely they may pay the claim and tell you to keep the sub.If not,try to make a deal to buy the sub back from them.They will more than likely sell it to you,because they will just throw it away.I had a claim on a CRT projector and they paid the claim and gave me the projector back.Unfortunately they completely destroyed it.It sounds like they hit it with the forks on the fork truck.If the actual grill in not broken,you can remove the grill cloth and buy new cloth from Radioshack.Good luck,and hopefully it works out.:eek:

Broken Grill

I repaired the front on my grill, the cloth was still good but the preforated metal had broke in a few places.

I went to a fabric and craft store, they had preforated plastic sheets used for knitting; I doubled these up for stiffness, worked great.

Used a hot glue gun to adhere the fabric.

Jim, thanks for posting. The perforated material under the cloth was severely damaged and the cloth has a tear also. Hopefully, someone may be able to help. Thanks for your help. cruzr

One of the changes that ML made on the latest sub models was the packaging. Apparently, they were getting a high rate of shipping damage with the older packaging on the subs. The packing on the Depth i and Descent i is top notch.

The subs are now shipped bolted to a wood panel underneath and is superbly protected in a very well designed container system. It requires instructions to open properly but they are illustrated well. The newer subs have a much etter chance at surviving the shipping gorillas as long as the original box and packaging materials are used.

Thanks for the info Craig. After going through this experience. I would highly recommend not having a older Descent sub shipped. To any of our members thinking of purchasing over the internet. Thanks again, Cruzr
One of the changes that ML made on the latest sub models was the packaging. Apparently, they were getting a high rate of shipping damage with the older packaging on the subs. The packing on the Depth i and Descent i is top notch.

The subs are now shipped bolted to a wood panel underneath and is superbly protected in a very well designed container system. It requires instructions to open properly but they are illustrated well. The newer subs have a much etter chance at surviving the shipping gorillas as long as the original box and packaging materials are used.

Back