Depth i or Descent i w/ Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I already own a Depth subwoofer with my Vantages. After looking at the new Depth i and Descent i, I knew I had to sell my Depth to get the i to match with my Vantages. They look gorgeous!! I like the way my present Depth sounds with the Vantage, but wondered if I should stick with a Depth i or put down more money and go with the Descent i. Some question that I ask to myself: does the difference of price worth it, would the 10" driver match well with the 8" in the Vantage. Having not the opportinity to listen to both for comparison, would like some recommendation from you folks.

Thanks,

Musicman

Hi all,

I already own a Depth subwoofer with my Vantages. After looking at the new Depth i and Descent i, I knew I had to sell my Depth to get the i to match with my Vantages. They look gorgeous!! I like the way my present Depth sounds with the Vantage, but wondered if I should stick with a Depth i or put down more money and go with the Descent i. Some question that I ask to myself: does the difference of price worth it, would the 10" driver match well with the 8" in the Vantage. Having not the opportinity to listen to both for comparison, would like some recommendation from you folks.

Thanks,

Musicman

Well, since you're already set in moving to "i", then might as well go all the way. I don't think that the size of your Vantage woofer has anything to do with your subwoofer size. I would keep your current Depth IMHO, but if you must upgrade, then go all the way...or else you will always question yourself.

After looking at the new Depth i and Descent i, I knew I had to sell my Depth to get the i to match with my Vantages. They look gorgeous!! I like the way my present Depth sounds with the Vantage, but wondered if I should stick with a Depth i or put down more money and go with the Descent i.

They are BOTH a beautiful match! Go all out and just save some money for little longer and get the Descent i! You won't be sorry! If you will use it for HT purposes then all the more get the big dog!

Hi all,

Thanks,

Musicman

If your system is 2 channel I would go with the Depth i, if Home Theater I would go Descent i.

I have 2 channel system and listen to music 90% of time. My room is 14.5 feet width by 31 ft by 8 ft high.

Musicman

I have 2 channel system and listen to music 90% of time. My room is 14.5 feet width by 31 ft by 8 ft high.

Musicman

That is a big room...i would get the biggest and baddest....

They look gorgeous!! I like the way my present Depth sounds with the Vantage, but wondered if I should stick with a Depth i or put down more money and go with the Descent i.

It sounds to me that you are considering an upgrade not because of any disappointment with the sonics of your current setup, but because you like the way the looks of the "i" series matches with your Vantages. If you are really happy with the way your depth sounds, then there is no need to spend the extra dollars to upgrade to the descent i. The depth i will likely sound better than your current setup anyway, just because of its upgrades. If you listen solely to two-channel music and aren't missing those notes in the lowest registers, then why spend the extra bucks?

On the other hand, you do have a large room and there is some satisfaction to be had by having the best ML subwoofer money can buy. It would also make it easier to upgrade later from the Vantages to the CLX. :devil:

Without the ability to demo them, and being happy with your current sound, I would have to recommend going with the depth i, unless you just really want to spend the extra money to get the biggest, baddest, best. Either way, please let us know what you decide and how it turns out for you.

Thank you for the recommandation, it seems that the Descent is the way to go. I sure want the Descent i, but will depend on how much more money I will have to put down compare to the Depth i.

Musciman

My preference would be to get dual Depth-i instead of a single Descent-i.

Better room integration/interaction and probable improvements in the overall 2.2 sound quality when used with active x-overs.

Last edited:
Better room integration/interaction and probable improvements in the overall 2.1 sound quality when used with active x-overs.

Wouldn't 4 subs (one at each corner) be optimal then?? I thought that i read this somewhere.

2 depths would likely give you greater output than 1 descent, but with less frequency extension. If the depth had the exact same frequency response as the descent, but with less headroom...then it would be the same. As it stands, I would recommend 2 depths over 1 descent for music listening, and 1 descent over 2 depths for movie listening (due to the greater extension)

Having 2 subs increases the room modes, which adds greater and more even/uniform bass reinforcement...4 subs increases this even more.

I would recommend 2 depths over 1 descent for music listening, and 1 descent over 2 depths for movie listening (due to the greater extension)

Having 2 subs increases the room modes, which adds greater and more even/uniform bass reinforcement...4 subs increases this even more.

I would say get one Descent and then ADD a second later when you can afford it that gives you maximum range and good fill too...I have one Descent and it is amazing...bet the Descent i REALLY rocks! Extends all the way to what 18hz? Where does the Depth get to? 22Hz? Not sure how much music is down there, but I bet a big Pipe Organ or a Tempani (did I spell that right) as well as a big upright bass can get down there...

Descent i

After reading all your comments, which I agree with you all, I decided to go with the Descent i. Will have to wait about a month before receiving it. All your comment help me out to make my final decision. Thanks again for all your input. Will keep you inform about the performance of the Descent i when it will replace my present Depth (original) subwoofer.

Musicman

Wouldn't 4 subs (one at each corner) be optimal then?? I thought that i read this somewhere.
Like IWalker explained, yes, for HT.

For stereo music reproduction I'd still stick with two subs, close to the front left/right corners.

Descent i

Hi all,

I have received my Descent i last week end and I really enjoy it. This sub is impressive, just out of the box it sounded incredible. This is a great looking component also. The Depth was very good sounding but I prefer the Descent i : it is out of this world. Congratulation Martin Logan for another world class component.

Musicman

Hi all,

I have received my Descent i last week end and I really enjoy it. This sub is impressive, just out of the box it sounded incredible. This is a great looking component also. The Depth was very good sounding but I prefer the Descent i : it is out of this world. Congratulation Martin Logan for another world class component.

Musicman

Congrats!!

I have not seen many pics of the Descenti.. so if you could post pics of yours, that would be cool! Anyway, enjoy the sub.. and arent you glad you bought the best?

I'd like to know which of these two subs are better suited for music . I don't know, I've never owned a ML sub and haven't had a sub of any kind in a couple of years. I think it's obvious the larger, more powerful deeper reaching Descent i is the clear winner for Home Theater. But the Depth i has smaller woofers and may integrate more closely with the most of the ML speaker line. The Descent i has both 25Hz and 50Hz frequency controls where the Depth i has only a 25Hz freq control.

So does the extra 50Hz control on the Descent i make it more flexible to integrate with speakers for a 2 channel music system?

Last edited:
IMO a single or dual Depth-i is best for music with the non-hybrid MLs (CLS and eventually the CLX). I think that a single Descent-i will sound just as well with hybrid MLs than a single Depth-i, but not as good as a pair.

Back