System #542 (Theos, Motif x)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKY888

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My name is Antonio from Rhode Island!

Although, I don’t have a dedicated home theater/man cave, I built this set-up in our first floor open-concept living room attached to the kitchen which leads to the dining room. The entire first floor is about 1000sq foot with 8 foot ceiling.

A couple of years ago, I finally sold my Bose v20 system for $500 which lead me to buy a a pair of Martin Logan Source ($800) and Polk Audio S35 center channel speaker ($210 refurbished from Polk). Then a week ago, I was able to upgrade for a used a mint pair of Martin Logan Theos and Martin Motif X center

So here’s my set-up I collected for the past 2 years:

VIDEO:

Sony XBR-75X900E LED TV ($1999 refurbished unit from Amazon)

Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player ($160 new from Amazon)

5.2 SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

Marantz SR6012 AVR ($499 new from Amazon)

Crown XLS2502 Two-channel amplifier – powers the Martin Logan Theos Speakers ($450 new from Crutchfield)

Atlantic Technology 642e SB subwoofers (mint $500/pair from facebook marketplace)

Martin Logan Theos ($2400 hifishark)

Martin Logan Motif X center ($750 ebay)

Polk Audio S10 rear channel speakers ($139 refurbished from Polk)

SAFETY COMPONENTS:

Aircom T8 cooling fan system ($99 from amazon)

APC H15 power conditioner ($200 from amazon)

SMART Components:

Echo Dot ($40 from Amazon)

Logitech Harmony Hub ($71 from Amazon)

Monoprice 4K HDMI cables, and Mediabridge speaker/sub cables, and etc = $100

Total $7407 minus the old Bose system, Martin Logan source, and Polk s35 center :)

Theos are definitely better than the sources!!! And upgrading from Polk center to Martin Logan Motif X definitely makes a difference! Now all timbre matched! :)
Last edited: Today at 1:41 AM
2939FB4C-945D-409C-8348-8A6C4D7D46EB.jpg

Thanks Tom!

I just upgraded my Sources and Polk s35 center literally a few days ago, so I don’t think I will be upgrading anytime soon lol.

My wife will literally kill me! lol

The crown amps are not really known as a “home” amplifier. It’s known for as a professional gear for concerts/etc.
My crown 2502 is rated 2 channels:

440 watts at 8 ohm
775 watts at 4 ohm
1200 watts at 2 ohm

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-2502

This amp never sweat when it ran the sources as well as my current theos.
It might not be as excellent quality compared to tube amps, but it’s good enough for “home theater” experience :)

Last edited:
Hi Antonio, Welcome!

Great value setup, and good choice to run a separate amp, those Crowns are bullet-proof, I use an XLS-2500 for my rear 18" sub and love it. Never tried it on any of the ESL, as I already had suitable amplication for them. The usual concern with Pro amps is can they handle the back-EMF and low impeadances of the ESLs. I know they have no problem handling 2-Ohm loads and will deliver good voltage into that, and I recall that the latest DriveCore2 topology in the xx02 line did better with reactive forces.

One suggestion for your system, please read up on our Placement and room acoustics sub-forum, as I think some low-cost tweaks and testing some different speaker positions will dramatically improve the sound, way more than any other gear change will at this stage.

Hi Antonio, glad you found us and joined. That is a serious step up to Theos, i'm sure they sound good.

Brad

Thank you Brad!

I bought the ML Sources a couple of years ago with an impulse without reading a lot about MLs. They’re a good set of speakers, but again only basic entry level, and of course people always want something better :)

Hi Antonio, Welcome!

Great value setup, and good choice to run a separate amp, those Crowns are bullet-proof, I use an XLS-2500 for my rear 18" sub and love it. Never tried it on any of the ESL, as I already had suitable amplication for them. The usual concern with Pro amps is can they handle the back-EMF and low impeadances of the ESLs. I know they have no problem handling 2-Ohm loads and will deliver good voltage into that, and I recall that the latest DriveCore2 topology in the xx02 line did better with reactive forces.

One suggestion for your system, please read up on our Placement and room acoustics sub-forum, as I think some low-cost tweaks and testing some different speaker positions will dramatically improve the sound, way more than any other gear change will at this stage.

Thank you Jon!

Yes, the crown amps are rock solid, and has no problem handling the electrostats. Besides, being 2 ohm stable, they’re VERY affordable!!! :)

And yes, no more gear changes/upgrades or wifey will kick me out of the house lol

I supposed to only buy one sub from a local seller a couple of years ago. But due to wife and limited placement of sub to maximize sub sound at our family room, I ended up buying his other sub. Having a pair of subs should smoothen things up, at their current placements.

I do believe I really need some room treatments. We always hear some rattlings when we watch movies with heavy bass. And the window shutters (window of our living room) rattles too and we can easily hear them lol

Hi Antonio and welcome. As a fellow Theos owner, I must say these speakers have a lot of potential. They love quality upstream electronics (who doesn't!). Once your wife appreciates the sound quality of your system, perhaps you can wedge in an upgrade path in due time, of course.

Hi Antonio and welcome. As a fellow Theos owner, I must say these speakers have a lot of potential. They love quality upstream electronics (who doesn't!). Once your wife appreciates the sound quality of your system, perhaps you can wedge in an upgrade path in due time, of course.

Thank you! What amp are you using for your theos?

Do you think, my crown amp is not enough to power the theos? Or are you talking about a tube amp or something ....to make the quality of music even better?

Before lunch, I actually just bought a pair of 2’x4’ (2 inch thick) AlphaSorb® QS Acoustic Panel with Guilford of Maine fabric, so I can put them on the front wall (behind the theos). I’m hoping it will further improve SQ.
Currently, the theos only less than 3 feet from the wall. I can no longer move them forward due to space constraints in our living room.

So $$$ never ends, huh??? Lol

Last edited:
Awesome Antonio. Welcome to the Martin Logan family. Now, you just got the bug. Enjoy.
Happy listening!

Thank you Roberto!

Where is your famous “hola!” Lol

I was reading a lot of your comments about theos and ethos for the past few weeks...which really made me upgrade my sources to theos! Definitely worth it! :)

Thank you! What amp are you using for your theos?

Do you think, my crown amp is not enough to power the theos? Or are you talking about a tube amp or something ....to make the quality of music even better?

Before lunch, I actually just bought a pair of 2’x4’ (2 inch thick) AlphaSorb® QS Acoustic Panel with Guilford of Maine fabric, so I can put them on the front wall (behind the theos). I’m hoping it will further improve SQ.
Currently, the theos only less than 3 feet from the wall. I can no longer move them forward due to space constraints in our living room.

So $$$ never ends, huh??? Lol

As you move along this journey, you will realize it is not the quantity of watts but rather quality of watts which is important for faithful music reproduction. I am talking body, image, pace and accuracy. I personally have a Pass Labs XA30.8 which is a class A amp (near tube sound with big balls and no hassle to change/adjust tubes once in a while). It is a marriage made in heaven between this amp and the Theos. Some of the folks here have Pass amps and will agree with me. They are not cheap but worth saving up for them.

Last edited:
As you move along this journey, you will realize it is not the quantity of watts but rather quality of watts which is important for faithful music reproduction. I am talking body, image, pace and accuracy. I personally have a Pass Labs XA30.8 which is a class A amp (near tube sound with big balls and no hassle to change/adjust tubes once in a while). It is a marriage made in heaven between this amp and the Theos. Some of the folks here have Pass amps and will agree with me. They are not cheap but worth saving up for them.

Oh wow! I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price of your gorgeous amp! Lol!

Not in the cards right now. Maybe someday :)

Thank you!

Hola Antonio,

You got me here, LOL. Also, I used to say to trust in your ears, those are your final judges, no matter what, and I got a big scold from some members of the forum. I am a very happy grandpa. And because of my age and work, I have the opportunity to listen a lot of different brands and approaches in audio systems, making my work and hobby very satisfy. No so often I get goosebumps when I listen to the music, but with Martin Logan I do get this very often. I do not know why is this. And this happens mostly with the new stat panels technology. Another thing that it is very important that I had learned, is that what I do like, not necessary must be your liking. As an example, I am a tube person. I love tube sound, and with tubes and Martin Logan, I do get the goosebumps very easy...not with SS. I do not why, but my ears find SS to be too metallic and brass sound. Again, this is my liking. Also, tubes need to be changed once and then, a thing that you do not need to do with SS. Digital amps are coming with new improved sound quality and they are doing very good...but still lack the warmth and quality that I listen with tubes...I think that all has to be with the harmonic texture of the musical instruments and the size of them. The stage and sense with a truly three dimensional sound...again, this is my liking and not necessary must be yours.
Cables and electronics are an eternal debate. Choose what you like. It is your system and your money.
Happy listening!!!

Oh wow! I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price of your gorgeous amp! Lol!

Not in the cards right now. Maybe someday :)

Thank you!

Antonio, Yes, it is pricey but worth every penny. As Roberto has eluded, Martin Logans demand an amp that can provide body and texture and that is why tube amps go so well with them. Pass class A amps, IMHO, provide 95% of that lovely tube sound but do it with gusto in terms of bass and pace. Also, you need not worry about replacing tubes.

Hola Antonio,

You got me here, LOL. Also, I used to say to trust in your ears, those are your final judges, no matter what, and I got a big scold from some members of the forum.
Roberto,
YOU got scolded for saying trust your ears? What do those members who scolded you trust? Oscilloscopes? Please keep saying it. There’s too much crap in the various audio forums from people who say that if you can’t measure it you can’t hear it. I’m always amazed by the arrogance with which it’s said. Hell, I’ve taken a lot of insults on this board.

Last edited:
Hola Bernard,

It is great to hear from you! Well, as all do know, I have a barrier language. Because of this, I try to be very careful with my words and trying not to be misunderstood. As I always say, the quality sound is a matter of liking. And what I do like, not necessary it has to be your liking, right? Where my ears are more good is at the lower midrange and upper bass definition. Many of us believes that the high zip ultra high frequency zip is what they need. Did you know that at he fifth fret of the first guitar string, there is an A note. This note, if it is tuned and you play this nothe through a microphone, and have a frequency counter will read only 440Hz, and it is a high pitch note. The next octave will be at the 17th fret giving a 880Hz !!!! Only two frets remains at the higher musical notes in a Spanish classical guitar of 19 frets. Yes, I do know that the harmonics are high frequency and as more highs, should be better definition. On the professional studio microphones, costing what a whole system usually cost, the frequency response gets only to 17KHz!!! If you measure a piano, or a trumpet, or a cymbal, you do know how it sounds to you. That's what you should try to get in your system. That natural truth sound. On tubes, that is the closest that I get to as an example, to my guitar. Also, I always say, do not get me wrong! I am not saying that SS is bad, what I am saying it just that MY LIKING is toward tubes.

Most of you do know that I am using an UPTONEAUDIO JS-2 linear power supply for my DAC Exasound model E-32. This is one of the most important tweak that I have in my system. This unit restored all the harmonics that are lost using switching power supplies or similar. It is expensive, but worth every penny. You can hear the strings and the bow. If I take it away, I do not have this silky strings sound. The harmonics are lost. And if I get this for the strings, you can guess what I am getting at the cymbals and the percussion instruments. The jazz double bass is more vivid and more enhanced the details and inner details. Vocals are so nice and without any hoarseness.
I think I am hijacking this thread...please excuse my dare Antonio.
Happy listening!

Last edited:
Back