Comparing amplifier load between Aeon i and Prodigy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
For sale near me there are a pair of prodigys (with near brand new panels) at a very tempting price (amost half the retail price of a vantage here).

At present, I am runnig Aeon i's with a conrad johnson Ca200 - (185w into 8 ohm) which seem to handle things quite nicely. (glorious amp by the way)

I would prefer to avoid a greater load on my amp, however the efficiency and impedence specs of the two speakers seem amost identical:

Aeon I: 90 dB/2.83 volts/meter Nominal impedence: 4 ohms minimum impedence: 1.1 ohms @ 20 kHz

Prodigy: Sensitivity: 91dB/2.83V/m. Nominal impedance: 4 ohms. Minimal impedance: 1 ohm at 20kHz. Recommended amplification: 80-300W.

Showing my complete ignorance of speaker design and electronics, is it likely that a prodigy (a much larger speaker) offers the same load on an amp as an aeon i?

Last edited:
The Prodigy will be easier to drive than the Aeon i. Also, the Aeon i's sensitivity is 89db and not 90db.

While the Aeon i is great speaker in its own right. Moving up the chain from the Aeon i to the Prodigy would be quite an impressive upgrade. You CJ amp should do just fine with the Prodigy but an eventual upgrade of the amp will only bring out more potential of the what the Prodigy is capable of.

Agreed with Craig, and also the Prodigies will give to you outstanding size of the instruments with better transparency, and at the bass section, they will go deeper but the right amount due to have the Force Forward bass alignment. They are big, and need a big room to play the best. Happy listening,
Roberto.

You should have no issues running the Prodigy with 185 watts of power. I find CJ amps to be a very good fit with ML speakers. If you so wish you can bi-amp them in the future for more power and control.

Agree with everyone. At 185w into 8ohms, that should roughly translate into approximately 350w into 4ohm. Since the Prodigies and Aeon run at 4 ohm load (I suspect just a tad lower than that), you should be fine. Check to see how stable your CJ is going to be at a lower load, say 1ohm or half an ohm. If it's supposed to be stable at a continuous 1ohm, you should have plenty of power AND clean sound!

Latest posts

Back