Emotiva XPA-1L amp for Motif center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baylesworth

Reaction score
I currently have a Motif center channel speaker powered by a Denon 3808CI AVR. The AVR provides 130W a channel but doesn't seem to shine. Would getting an Emotiva XPA-1L amp move the needle in sound quality...say greater than a 25% improvement in sound quality? That would give me roughly 325watt for my 300W rated 6ohm center given the below specs from Emotiva's site:

250 watts @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
500 watts @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)

The XPA-1L meets Martin Logan's amplifier stability recommendation. From their site:

"However, it is important that the amplifier be stable operating into varying impedance loads: an ideally stable amplifier will typically be able to deliver nearly twice its rated 8 Ohm wattage into 4 Ohms."

Last week I brought my center into a Magnolia and demoed it in their main sound room. We swapped it with the newer Motif X. I heard it powered by a 4xxx series Denon AVR 150W a channel. It did sound somewhat better but I think much of that was due to the sound room. Unfortunately Magnolia wasn't able to hook it up to any amps. I don't mind spending less than $1k on dedicated power if I can get a decent step up in performance until I am able to upgrade to a Stage. :)

Hi Bayles,

Having owned several Denon receivers, this sounds suspicious and I would look elsewhere to resolve the problem.

Have you tried bumping up the volume on your center speaker?

GG

Based on the specs (of the amp and the Motif), the XPA1L seems like it should meet your needs, as it is stable down to 4 Ohms (the Motif's min. impedance). YMMV, but when I switched from a receiver alone to external amplification (for my ML Vantage), I saw a 50+% improvement to the sound quality. The panels just sounded like they were more controlled and precise. The highs were much clearer and distinct. I would go for it.

That does beg the question - what speakers are you using for you L&R mains? What's powering those speakers?

Hi Bayles,

Having owned several Denon receivers, this sounds suspicious and I would look elsewhere to resolve the problem.

Have you tried bumping up the volume on your center speaker?

GG

Yes. If I'm in the sweet spot it sounds good at 0db. However when I'm not I have to set to 3-5db but it sounds a little more muddy than I would like.

I have ML Purity fronts which are self powered by internal 200W amps. I called ML and they said you can't bypass the internal amp with an external one. I was confused by this as the specs show the speakers to be rated up to 400W on ML's site. The guy at ML said his internal docs showed they were rated only up to 200W and that he would contact someone at the company to get the specs changed on their site. I have to set the db levels on fronts between -5 to -7 or they drown out the center. I know getting a Stage center would fix my issue given the much larger sweet spot but I'm just trying to get the most out of the Motif until then.

Remember to calibrate in as many places (within your seating area) as your receiver will allow. Will allow for greater accuracy.

Also defeat the "flat" setting on the Audessey default once you are done with the calibration. Mine sounded much better (more dynamic, etc.) this way. Check your manual on how to do this. It's buried somewhere.

GG

Remember to calibrate in as many places (within your seating area) as your receiver will allow. Will allow for greater accuracy.

Also defeat the "flat" setting on the Audessey default once you are done with the calibration. Mine sounded much better (more dynamic, etc.) this way. Check your manual on how to do this. It's buried somewhere.

GG

Thanks for your help Gordon. To say you have a nice system would be an understatement. :)

I used to think I needed separates too. Watch Dr Vojtko on youtube about amps. An 8 Ohm amp will handle a martin logan as long as you're not playing above the amps capability. He says we test all sorts of amps on our speakers and they all just work with no issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eWCI4GqjVf8#t=130

At my listening level and distance from speakers, I figured I'm using less than 8 watts total. So a 4 Ohm speaker will require twice the amps from the receiver. Well within a cheap amps capabilities. Most people don't realize how low their listening volume actually is. Their was a poll on this forum and seemed that most people are shocked to find out that their listening level is within the 70s. I'd assume that would take about a watt. Maybe 10 or 20 with dynamic peaks assuming we are watching a Blu-ray.

That being said, 300 watts is overkill for a center. It won't sound better just because you put more unused watts on it. I swapped NAD amps, Emotiva and an integrated 9 channel Onkyo to my Martin Logan EFX and can't hear a damn difference. If you do, it may because the amp has internal processing like factory gains, EQ or something. I did notice with the NAD integrated amplifier, the center channel was much lower in volume. I simply turned it up but not sure how XT effected it overall because I can't do an appropriate A/B. A case of processing and NOT amplification. Every sales man I speak to also tries to sell me a larger amp. They say I need an external amp for Martin Logans. I just hang up.

Don't waste your money.

Edit: I'm not sure how many watts the speaker was receiving but I put a kill-a-watt meter to my NAD T787 and it went from about 90 watts idle to 140 watts at a volume level I would never listen to. My volume level increased only ~10 watts or so. I do have a small room. The amperage went from 1amp to 1.5 amps peak at the higher volume level. This was with the Motif X that supposedly goes as low as 1.6 Ohms. Go ahead and buy the most expensive high power amps you can find. You will end up like me, a huge power bill and a bunch of high end equipment for sale.

Last edited:
Back