CLX Audition

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernard, the analogue vs digital debate is always worth having. :music:
Well, then, in that case:

I recently had a visitor over for whom I played the Chesky LP and CD of Ana Caram's "Rio After Dark". No double-blind stuff here. After he listened to both he asked me if I was sure it was the same recording as they sounded so different from each other. I then asked him which one he preferred, and he said the LP.

To put this into context, my turntable/arm/cartridge is worth about 50% more than my CDP (price difference of about $2K).

Bernard, as I said before, it is a mater of liking. Now, I am enjoying no wow and flutter, no lateral distortion, no ringing, no garbage noise, no high level breaking notes, no hum, great noise floor, no piano missed track, great left channel to right separation, no tonearm resonance, not cross talk, great harmonic distortion. Analogue has its issues too. See, now we are debating who is right. But I assure you that this new DAC really worth every penny. I know that when you have everything right at the turntable, the sound is super good. There is something missing in digital, but it is getting very close, that now, sometimes, I like it better. Again, it is a matter of liking. Happy listening.

I have yet to hear a CLX with subs. A question for those with this setup (CLX with ML subs in particular), or have heard this setup: Is it better to connect the amp to the sub's line outs? Or to have a Y-connector (or a preamp that has two mains outs) feed both the ML sub and the amp for the CLXes?

Both ways are right. Remember that the Martin Logan subs, the Descent I and the Depth I model, they have a special crossover that you have to order for them, because it is an extra device. You can connect them from the output of your pre-amplifier input, and from the subs output to the input of the amplifier, or from the speakers terminal binding posts, you can feed the signal to the subs. In my place, the CLX are responding down to 40Hz... many friends say that a sub is not necessary when you are listening to the music only... but when you are using them for HT set up, the subs are a must. If you are going to use them for HT sound, then LFE is where you should connect them. Happy listening.

Latest posts

Back