Quantcast

CLS electronics schematic

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

nirvanaseeker

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Does anyone have a schematic of the electronics used in the CLS system? If anyone has done any mods/tweaks, I'd be open to enlightenment. I just set up my CLS's for the first time and peaked inside while doing some cleaning and couldn't help but notice at least a few components that could probably stand updating. It would sure beat taking it back apart and tracing components, but I suppose that's what I'd end up doing anyway performing any mods and such. Thanks for any help.. :)
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
nirvanaseeker...

nirvanaseeker said:
Does anyone have a schematic of the electronics used in the CLS system? If anyone has done any mods/tweaks, I'd be open to enlightenment. I just set up my CLS's for the first time and peaked inside while doing some cleaning and couldn't help but notice at least a few components that could probably stand updating. It would sure beat taking it back apart and tracing components, but I suppose that's what I'd end up doing anyway performing any mods and such. Thanks for any help.. :)
nirvanaseeker,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I'm sorry I do not know the electronic in the CLS speakers. I would recommend calling ML and speaking to Jim Power. He might be able to help you out... :D

By-the-way, Mark and I love your ML Club screen name. Sonic Nirvana is what we all aspire to and we "Trust Our Ears" a lot... :D
 
Last edited:

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
nirvanaseeker said:
Does anyone have a schematic of the electronics used in the CLS system? If anyone has done any mods/tweaks, I'd be open to enlightenment.
Just do a little reading here, in the strangely named TWEAKS section, and you would see posts on this subject.
 

nirvanaseeker

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Thank you for the replies, it's much appreciated. Nirvana was just a spur of the moment thing, but I got to thinking that I'm pretty lucky to have heard what I have heard before and it's still not over yet,..much left to do! I have reached the best sound I have ever witnessed with some hopped up Acoustat servos and model X's (sorry, don't mean sacrilege or anything), but am pretty sure I can reach a very comparable level with some modded Threshold 400a and 4000 amps driving some CLSs. Kinda like comparing apples with oranges but I find it exciting nonetheless.

I did search the TWEAKS section and found a couple of posts, didn't hold much for me though. I dunno, I'm new and maybe didn't putter around enough. I did go to the ML website and filled in a request for the subject mentioned here, but have not heard anything. A schematic is really what I'm after however as I have a pretty good idea what will need doing.

If it comes down to it, I'll just take it apart,..it's not that complicated or big a deal, but just one more thing to add to an already long list....:)

I have come to realize that trusting ears is what it's all about and it does go a very long way. It's pretty cool to get the system to the point of fine resolution such that you can perform supposedly "wonderful" mods and not hear a thing, and conversely perform changes no one ever talks of and go "well,..shazaam!!"
 

Dan Osib

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
287
Reaction score
0
I have a similar interest but in the CLS IIz. In the Tweaks Section there are quite a few CLS IIz modification threads. These mods also apply to the CLS model. As for upgrading components inside the CLS like resistors/capacitors etc, it's not really worth it as the standards parts already in this loudspeaker are plenty good enough as they are. Also when you start replacing some of these parts you can end up altering the sound quality by making it better in one area but at the same time adding some brightness/ forwardness or something else negative. The only changes I personally would make to the CLS are all mentioned in the TWEAKS section. These will give you a night and day difference I guarantee you. Expect improvements in all sound quality areas especially clarity and increased loudness levels.
 
Last edited:

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Robin said:
nirvanaseeker,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I'm sorry I do not know the electronic in the CLS speakers. I would recommend calling ML and speaking to Jim Power. He might be able to help you out... :D

By-the-way, Mark and I love your ML Club screen name. Sonic Nirvana is what we all aspire to and we "Trust Our Ears" a lot... :D
What she said!!!

Funny that someone would join and come up with that name! Well, welcome to the club and you are in the right place for your namesake! :cool:
 

Peter Hogan

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Location
Fitchburg, MA
nirvanaseeker said:
Does anyone have a schematic of the electronics used in the CLS system? If anyone has done any mods/tweaks, I'd be open to enlightenment. I just set up my CLS's for the first time and peaked inside while doing some cleaning and couldn't help but notice at least a few components that could probably stand updating. It would sure beat taking it back apart and tracing components, but I suppose that's what I'd end up doing anyway performing any mods and such. Thanks for any help.. :)
Hi,
Here is the CLS IIz schematic:


HTH,
Peter
 

Attachments

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Great schematic...

Peter,

Great schematic! :D
I am curious, how did you manage to get it? Did ML have it on their Internet Home site? or did you scan a copy you had? What's your secret? :D
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
1
Location
Lancaster,Ca
Robin,

Don't get that excited. First of all there is more detail to schematic than is listed there and secondly if this was an "actual production" schematic it would have signatures with dates. Also, if this was released it would have disclosure and proprietary statements on it.

Take a step back and relax.

Jeff :confused:
 

Peter Hogan

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Location
Fitchburg, MA
Robin said:
Peter,

Great schematic! :D
I am curious, how did you manage to get it? Did ML have it on their Internet Home site? or did you scan a copy you had? What's your secret? :D
Jeff Zaret said:
Robin,

Don't get that excited. First of all there is more detail to schematic than is listed there and secondly if this was an "actual production" schematic it would have signatures with dates. Also, if this was released it would have disclosure and proprietary statements on it.

Take a step back and relax.

Jeff :confused:
Hi,
Actually it IS from ML...I called up Jim Powers a couple of years ago, and requested it, and that's what he sent. It was originally a .pdf file...I did a screen capture of it, cropped it and saved it as a .jpg. I realize it doesn't show the high voltage bias supply (it will connect between ground and the transformer center tap), but it has all the rest of the components, including all the ones you're likely to 'tweak'.

Peter
 
Last edited:

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
CLS electronics schematic...

Peter Hogan said:
Hi,
Actually it IS from ML...I called up Jim Powers a couple of years ago, and requested it, and that's what he sent. It was originally a .pdf file...I did a screen capture of it, cropped it and saved it as a .jpg. I realize it doesn't show the high voltage bias supply (it will connect between ground and the transformer center tap), but it has all the rest of the components, including all the ones you're likely to 'tweak'.

Peter
Peter,

Well, thank you for taking the time capture it, crop it and share it with us... :) I had never seen a ML schematic of one of ML's speaker's. I appreciate your offering, as it gives me a different perspective.
 

nirvanaseeker

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
WOW! what a forum!!

Thanks for the input on this, it seems any number of people might be interested. I did get a reply from Jim Powers and a pdf file of the CLS schematic. How neat is that? It shows that the file did upload, so hopefully it will display ok.
 

Attachments

Peter Hogan

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Location
Fitchburg, MA
nirvanaseeker said:
Thanks for the input on this, it seems any number of people might be interested. I did get a reply from Jim Powers and a pdf file of the CLS schematic. How neat is that? It shows that the file did upload, so hopefully it will display ok.
Hi,
That schematic looks to be for the original CLS (page 2 is dated 01- JUL-8? )..i.e. sometime in the 1980's.

Also you can see that many of the values have been changed (tweaked), as further tuning was done by ML.

Peter
 
Top